Windows Media Center now with fully working guide on Windows 10 :)

Tony Clegg

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: So, anyone install Windows Media Center on 10 and get guide data in the US ?

I'm in a similar position to you. WMC is predominantly used for Emby but yet to download. I use Theatre, and there is an option in the settings under EVR (I believe - doing this from memory as at work) but changing to "Just Under" removed the black borders on the four corners. That's really annoying and the team don't seem to be busting a gut to resolve, but it's MS or WMC's issues. Must get my **** in gear and download for Win10 as I miss my WMC.

I still like the Music program whereby is scrolls slowly all the album covers. That's a nice touch that was added to Win 7's update.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: So, anyone install Windows Media Center on 10 and get guide data in the US ?

Tested, confirmed working, for cablecard users too ! Guide data working fine now....

Test away, the last one was updated to fix permissions but, this should be it...

X64
Download WindowsMediaCenter 6.3.9600.0 x64 v2.zip

X86
https://mega.nz/#!zAEF0QRQ!dJZ9fzWuy-8e2b5pE7KaqgOIG98mEmfS0QOMzA6UiOI

Yea ! WMC on WIndows 10 working, I can finally move all my machines over to Windows 10 !

Now WC should post this on the front page...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I suppose plugins like Arcsoft TMT work fine as well?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Thank you, everyone who worked on bringing WMC to Windows 10. I hope you will post updates regarding issues found and continued stability.

Tony Clegg

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site

Is anyone having an issue with that 32bit link? I downloaded without installing their software initially. It goes through to 99% downloading, sticks at that for a around 20 seconds, then completes, but can't see the download ?...

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

I've tried a few things. Keep in mind, I installed this in 2 machines for testing. One in RTM WIndows 10 (retail upgrade version, NOT in Preview program) and a VM of the same (VM workstation 12).

The WIndows 10 machine has the hosts file pointed to..
65.55.5.170 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
2.16.216.176 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

The VM was running on the desktop of Windows 10, but, I rebooted the computer and opened the same VM under WIndows 7, This Windows 7 machine uses Windows Media Center and pulls guide data down fine, so there should be No proxy based issues as it's using NAT.

As others have reported this issue, I tried to repo it on a VM, so this Installer was created from Windows 10 build 10134, so I built a 10134 VM with WMC (the hack to modify the ISO) and this caused the same exact result. I went back even earlier, and installed 10074, SAME ISSUE. Then today I tried 9901 but, it would not let me even install it (OS expired).

Trust me, I have been watching log files and the Even viewer almost every hour and I have run TV setup at least 30 times in the last 3 days...AT LEAST.

I think the test here is to see if we can yank from 7 or 8.1, and pull the WMC WIM from the iso and try to install that version. I think I have gone through what I could here. If it was the installer issue, building a fresh 10134 VM would of worked pulled down the guide fine. This is not the case.

So, in a nutshell, its something in a change done on Windows 10 that is causing this issue. It's possible that pulling it from Windows 7 or 8.1 still might not work. Or we could get lucky, I just wish I knew Media Center on the programming level to understand EXACTLY how the guide comes down and how it's processed, to really figure out where it's dying off. 6-8 years ago it might of been easier to find, today, not so much.

If all else fails, we can hack in guide data but, this costs a fee, and I think this might be the point I stop but, there has to be away around it.

Hmm, how about o/s masking?

If it works fine on 7, 8 and 8.1 perhaps masking 10 to appear like it was connecting as a "supported" version. Then again you've probably tried that :).

Not that knowledgeable on the programming side either so can't help you there lol.

The only other think I can think of there might be an authentication "key" or a reg key similar to the entry for device meta data {DeviceMetadataServiceURL} that might need to be either added / enabled / tweaked. I do know there is reg entry {Microsoft-Media-Foundation-WOW64-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-GB~10.0.10240.16384} with a dword value of 2 - probably bound to be others buried somewhere under some obscure heading. Had a quick glance through the reg when I was trying to fix a intel GMA issue, so copied that into a text file as I'm looking to run a WMC box when I cut my sky sub - not sure if that helps.

LOL, thanks, Trust me, I have not even started yet. If it is possible, it will work. I use WMC every day, and not ready to move on as nothing else really seems to give the ease of use here.

Don't worry, I will only give up when I have completely run out of resources for help and we are not there yet.

Anyone on here who has a very deep knowledge of Windows Media Center's subsystem want to help out a little ? :)

Haha, go for it.

Might tinker with WMC myself but not sure how much help I'd be as I don't reside in the US thus not needing to access MS servers lol.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Haha, go for it.

Might tinker with WMC myself but not sure how much help I'd be as I don't reside in the US thus not needing to access MS servers lol.

Try it now, new updated file (few posts back) guide works now :) Even if you were having problems over the "pond" it claims to be fixed now/

Only issue I am having is the font is screwed up, but, I think it's my machine....

WMC.jpg

I suppose plugins like Arcsoft TMT work fine as well?

They should but, you might have to set compatibity for Windows 7 or 8....but, as it's a Blu-ray player, drivers, DRM, etc, could have other problems (and that would be a 10 issue, nothing to do with WMC). If you have a problem try installing ANYDVD-HD trial to see if that fixes it..

Each WMC program will have to be tested one by one to know for sure but, remember the compatbity setttings.

WMC is installed on here just like on 7 or 8, In fact the same scripts that install it on 8 or even 7 are used for this install (registry, file loctaions, etc) just a few files are modified to by pass a check before re-compressed.

SO, It SHOULD all work, SHOULD.

Is anyone having an issue with that 32bit link? I downloaded without installing their software initially. It goes through to 99% downloading, sticks at that for a around 20 seconds, then completes, but can't see the download ?...

I dont have x86 machines on my network any more, so not sure, I am sure someone else could help here..

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Try it now, new updated file (few posts back) guide works now :) Even if you were having problems over the "pond" it claims to be fixed now/

Only issue I am having is the font is screwed up, but, I think it's my machine....

View attachment 111965

Sweet, was just about go trawling through the reg as just finished typing an essay of a post on another thread... oops :grincry:.

Downloading now :).

Edit: Installed, but got to head out. Will check it out later.

Last edited:

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

So, I've installed it (downloaded from here: Download WindowsMediaCenter 6.3.9600.0 x64 v2.zip) and can't find it anywhere. Looked in the Start menu All apps, and in the Program Files directory tree.

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site

So, I've installed it (downloaded from here: Download WindowsMediaCenter 6.3.9600.0 x64 v2.zip) and can't find it anywhere. Looked in the Start menu All apps, and in the Program Files directory tree.

I simply typed "Media Center" into the Cortana search box then pinned WMC to the task bar for future use.
I'm sitting at a Windows 7 computer right now, but I think the path to the actual program is the same: C:\Windows\ehome\eshell.exe.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site

I simply typed "Media Center" into the Cortana search box then pinned WMC to the task bar for future use.
I'm sitting at a Windows 7 computer right now, but I think the path to the actual program is the same: C:\Windows\ehome\eshell.exe.

Ah hah! Thank you. All sorted and looking good.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

Go into your start menu > Windows Accessories> and there is WMC....

If you go to the site, they created a v3 version of this that puts a shortcut on the desktop and quick launch... I think it's too much.

does the guide work for you?

If you downloaded the NEWEST version I posted and the guide is not working, treat it as a normal guide issue

I would add this to your hosts file (below 127.0.0.1)

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

It normally fixes this problem, then re-run setup...

bravoland

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site

hi guys
downloaded the V2 today
followed instructions - ran the unistaller to get rid of previous stuff. everything else went as plan. still the guide download error message
just added the 2 entries to the hosts file and tried again still get download error

jtpcamp

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro X 64 to Win 10 Pro. I downloaded the file listed above, unzipped it, and followed instructions and when the installer finished went to Windows/ehome but there is no 'eshell;.exe.
What did I do wrong??

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
There is still issues, there is now a v5 update setup.
x64
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1e6851ab

Known issues right now.
1. Cablecard DRM content will not play, so if you have a channel that is DRM protected, it will not play at this point.
2. Extenders are not working, I have personally not tried to trouble shoot it but, other say it's not working.

It's still a work in progress. If your running a version with the guide working, then stick with it till there is a major fix that will effect you.

If your getting the display error when starting live TV in a wIndow, Install the WIndows DVD player and it has been known to fix it (here's how to install it for free). I have personally done this and it has fixed the problem.

https://matthill.eu/tutorials/install-windows-10-dvd-player-free

More news and updates as I know more...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb