Verizon and Future of Windows Phone

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If the rumors and rumblings are correct, it would seem Verizon may not get the upcoming Lumia 950 and 950XL's.

I've also heard that the whole CDMA thing may be a thing of the past and that an unlocked Lumia could work on Verizon. Is that true?

Anyone else on Verizon already planning out their future Windows Phone future?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I believe there was a unlocked Motorola or nexus that worked on all carriers. But from my understanding of the rumors its possible Vzw may get a flagship from another manufacturer instead of from Microsoft. So maybe a HTC, lg, etc. But these are all rumors for now

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've also heard that the whole CDMA thing may be a thing of the past and that an unlocked Lumia could work on Verizon. Is that true?

Partially. It is theoretically possible that an unlocked Lumia could work on Verizon, even though CDMA is not (yet) a thing of the past. However...

I believe there was a unlocked Motorola or nexus that worked on all carriers.

There are currently three factory unlocked devices that I know of that work on Verizon: iPhone 6/6+, Nexus 6, and the just released Moto X Style Pure Edition. In fact, even the carrier versions of the iPhone 6/6+ and Nexus 6 work on Verizon if they're SIM unlocked. The phones contain the CDMA radios that Verizon uses, along with Sprint's, and in some cases, US Cellular. They also have all the LTE hardware, so they will get LTE on all five US carriers, including the three using CDMA.

This is what Microsoft needs to do with the 950/XL. Include all the radios, including CDMA, so it can be used on Verizon even if Verizon does not technically support it.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking it is a must if WP wants to survive- they need to follow Motorola and offer unlocked phones for every US carrier. I think Verizon is now open to it since they are going away from subsidizing phones. If the new Nexus is announced to be unlocked for Verizon too (like the Motorola X Pure) then I suspect an unlocked Windows Phone is a real good possibility.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I believe there was a unlocked Motorola or nexus that worked on all carriers. But from my understanding of the rumors its possible Vzw may get a flagship from another manufacturer instead of from Microsoft. So maybe a HTC, lg, etc. But these are all rumors for now

I prefer Lumua but if I can get a Flagship with a camera as good or better than the ICON, I'll be happy...actually curious about that Acer...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb