Never expect full attention from Microsoft again for WM10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't believe what I saw today when a Microsoft employee stood in an Apple event and announced office for the Ipad pro, I wasn't mad that I saw another Microsoft product going to other platforms as I'm currently using android and I enjoy Onedrive more than I ever enjoyed it in WP.

What got me upset that I understood why it seems WM10 development didn't speed up at all after Windows 10 launch like what happened with WP8.1 after W8.1

The reasons why Resume OS10 will be a disappointment/late or both:

• Even the simplest Microsoft app for Android/iOS still has a bigger user base than all WP phones combined, and unlike WP apps that never seems to be updated, Microsoft apps get updated rather ALOT on my Android, and with release of a new office for Ipad pro more developers will be reserved for these apps rather than WM10 development.
  • Most of Microsoft programmers are busy creating Windows 10 for Xbox.
  • Most of NOKIA D&S employees got fired.
  • Microsoft doesn't let its programmers be passionate about making their software because MS continously moves programmer around an endless list of side projects.
  • Most programmers will still be assigned for the soon to be released W10 update

Basically you'll quickly realize that WM10 will be released incomplete and you WILL again wait for 10.1 for things to barely be tolerable while cursing your stars that you paid premium prices for another beta flagship that will probably not get all of WM10 promised features right away.

My advice? Wait exactly 5 months after Talkman and Cityman release and you'll get a half decent OS for a logical price tag.

Related news:
Why the delay? Microsoft talks about testing Windows 10 Mobile for Insiders | Windows Central

Edit: I don't just write sad truth articles

Microsoft should sell its flagships at loss and believe in it's ecosystem already.

Continuum 2.0 it's the future.

So to sum up few points that people rather seem to think it's news or is relevant to this post

• Every company is a business, almost every big company has countless side projects and products to develop and maintain besides their OS/main product line, somehow users figured that out when they paid for a Microsoft product instead of having it for free.
  • We're not responsible for Microsoft financial success, it's not our job to care about their fiscal year, it's actually their job to impress us so we could contribute to their ecosystem and buy their products, we in turn help them by saying this product is good and we recommend it to friends and family.
  • No major decision to update Windows Phone came out of the good hearts of the people at Microsoft, people who shouted I feel like Microsoft is doing nothing are the reason behind Microsoft Insider program back when 8.1 took ages to happen.
  • Building software is hard, that's not news for the biggest software company in the world, the argument that Microsoft isn't giving WM10 any priority and the lack of staffing is obvious, specially as we go into the dangerous territory of the holidays where even patches for the OS would take longer to happen.
  • The big picture MS is after have been long preached, "Soon & Will TM" have been well played out, most users are familiar of Microsoft strategy only not in a good light as the constant reboots are killing the idea and eventually the real benefactors are3 Microsoft employees as they'll code less in the future.
  • The article is telling people not to expect a timely update or a feature rich OS anytime soon both are valid arguments that do make total sense and if anything we just lowered the bar for Microsoft to surprise us.
  • As you're free to have your opinions, fighting those who complain about Microsoft won't get you anywhere, you don't have a leg to stand on to defend Microsoft as most of what you preached have been used up so many times, in fact I would take a million complaining user over a single user saying that people need to shut up, as at least those complaining millions will force MS into action

Last edited:

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm at a loss for words here. You seem upset and are entitled to your opinion.
Much of what you said is factually wrong. Where did you get the data for your statements?
Not trying to argue or quash your passion...I hope your day gets better.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
There is nothing much wrong about these statements. Lot of (former Nokia) employees assigned to mobile stuff got fired a while ago. Progress with Win10mobile is (also therefore) painfully slow. Also the focus is on the desktop version as it is a) officially released, b) therefore used in productive environments, c) MS is still in business for desktops while for mobile OS the ship is already sunk. Just logical as well to have more advanced apps on those popular platforms (Android & iOS) than putting much effort in nice apps for a platform that plays just a minor role.
If we judge by the progress and the quality of the builds over the last months I guess we will not see a release within this year. Or indeed an extremely striped down version which is craving already for 10.1.
The fanboys here forget about the purpose of a company. Of course they could put all effort and resources in Win10mobile and abandon other things therefore. Then soon we will see more employees get fired. You wish for this?

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
People need to remember that Microsoft is a business. And what is the main purpose of a business? To make money.

They will do what makes them money and i'm pretty sure that their services on IOS /Android make them a lot more money than on WP. This is why they would focus on these platforms.

Look at it this way, if they ignore IOS/Android and solely focus on WP.... Where will they get money from to continue development?

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
My words... totally agree with you. But the fanboys and even some authors here in windowscentral not wanna realize this.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
People need to remember that Microsoft is a business. And what is the main purpose of a business? To make money.

They will do what makes them money and i'm pretty sure that their services on IOS /Android make them a lot more money than on WP. This is why they would focus on these platforms.

Look at it this way, if they ignore IOS/Android and solely focus on WP.... Where will they get money from to continue development?

Absolutely right! There is no money in windows mobile! And most developers see it that way too.....good point!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They dont have to focus SOLELY on WP, just give it equal attention. Microsoft is a big, profitable company with thousands of employees, is it beyond the realm of reality to expect them to be capable of working on more than one OS at a time? Which in fact they do with all the apps released on ios and android while they released Windows 10 but WP as always comes last. That smacks more of deliberate animosity towards the OS than anything else to,do with the larger marketshare of the other platforms.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Not true that WP always comes last. See what happen with Windows RT. THAT comes last by not getting an upgrade to Win10 as (hopefully) all 8.1 Phones will.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Nadella and his people see they cannot reach mobile customers with an OS and their services, so they try to sell them at least services. Office still sells. OneDrive, I bet it is not as bad on other platforms as it is now in W10. They are being realistic even if it means abandoning or sideling their own mobile OS.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you're just inventing this line because there's been no mobile builds for a couple of weeks?

It doesn't really matter to you that Windows 10 Mobile has had more updates and improvements released more quickly than any other version of Windows Phone before it?

It really doesn't matter to you that we've had a constant stream of updates to various parts of Windows 10 Mobile (for example, Email & Calendar got updated for me this morning)?

It really doesn't matter to you that Microsoft is a services company as well as software and products? When would you expect to see a Google or Apple executive stand on a Microsoft stage and announce something awesome for Microsoft users?

But well done on getting this thread in the "Trending Now" list.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
The problem is, what used to "platform exclusive" content for WP is now a cross platform suite that often beats the WP versions.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's another conspiracy theory post! Wow, if I had a ?1 for every one of these that popped up in the last 6 months...

So MS announces an update to Office (which has been on iPhone and iPad for months...) and now they're treating other platforms better than their own.. LOL!

OK let's get something straight. W10M is a complete overhaul. It's taking time to get right because what they're doing isn't easy by any stretch.

As someone has pointed out MS is a software company and where it has made it's money. So their focus is and always will be on software. Their PC OS is still the number one used OS in the world along with their Office software.

W10M will be what it will be. I know people on here are freaking out over time lines and pre released build quality but I think it's total over reaction. Also the fact they reduced staff has nothing to do with W10M OS. The fact they removed the old Nokia apps has nothing to do with what the future holds.

We simply don't know enough about what they're doing. I'm hoping (and it's a big hope) that we'll be in for some surprises when the official release happens. My biggest hope is that they get their phones on all the carriers and they can market things right, they haven't been good at either of these things.

Just wait and see what the future brings and stop saying the sky is falling. As it is now, so long as there is W10, there will be W10M. That's all that matters.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It used to be that HERE maps were exclusive for WP, "hey our phone offer full OFFICE suite" was a marketing slogan.

You realise that Microsoft don't, and didn't own the HERE suite? HERE is now owned by a consortium of Audi, BMW and Daimler.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Windows Phone is not a popular operating system. No one can deny that. But for sheer phones sold, Microsoft isn't actually doing all that bad. I'm just pointing in out, if you look at Microsoft as a phone manufacturer they're no doing terrible. They're no Samsung or Apple but they're certainly selling more than most other individual manufacturers.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is a business and if you were running your own business I doubt you would give up a huge source of revenue because you're making other competing products. This added revenue can go back into more research and producing their own platform. Seriously, cheers to Microsoft for creating a nice product for all platforms. You don't know anything about the coders, they are hired for the specific purpose of maintaining the apps on other platforms. They can't be pulled as a resource and MS should continue doing what they are doing.

They are securing their future in the mobile space. I would do this with my company as well. Even if windows 10 is a success do you think market share will suddenly go up like crazy? People don't just drop their phones. It's a slow process of people moving over. In the meantime you expect them to be making less earnings? The only reason they can keep their own mobile platform alive is because of all the other earnings they make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786