Never expect full attention from Microsoft again for WM10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I had my accounts split into private and work and I miss that. I hope they'll bring it back. At the moment they ignored a lot of things that go beyond a basic functionality.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
10. Last but not least...Market your product.....and show faith that you believe in it. Microsoft shows little faith into Windows phone...they showed little faith into Metro instead of improving it, they butchered it into a modern windows 7(essentially regressing) for Windows 10.

Stand by your ideas and beliefs instead of constantly trying to change and conform if you want people to see you as a leader and not a me too.

Instead, this 'leader' in the desktop is essentially following and instead of differentiating to make an identity for themselves in mobile(and improving their strengths they already have), they decide to conform which doesn't give faith. It just says "Hey I want to fit in."

Thank you for this. MS can hype up their products all they want but from their actions it's just talk and even they don't believe in it. The mangling of their own unique UI for the Frankenstein mess we see in W10 has been very sad and disheartening.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I think the writing is on the wall for WP/WM. Even changing the name from phone to mobile, they're just losing any continuity.

I say this as a windows phone user, I bought the L920 as early as I could, and still am really happy with it. It's a brilliant phone, but newer releases have been quite lacking, improving the OS has been monumentally slow, and I think now, the differentiating features of WP/WM have gradually been dropped, to the point where there's no real reason to continue with it.

Now, I see absolutely no reason to 'upgrade' to a L950/XL. I bought a replacement battery for my L920 instead. WP8 was a really good OS, one which definitely had potential. 8.1 kind of squandered the opportunity, and I think WM10 now, is just a fork which has lost that original vision.

When my L920 well and truly dies, I think i'll look elsewhere. I wanted WP to succeed, and when I started with the platform, I thought it had plenty of potential, but I think the pivotal moment for me is WM10. This is sort of the point of no return, where the phones are just becoming quite uninteresting, overloaded with spec sheet hardware (as in stuff which makes it look good on a spec sheet and nothing else), and the OS is losing a lot of the style it had, in order to homogenise it with the other platforms (i.e. hamburger menus and replacing capacitive buttons with on screen ones). It just seems to me like it's becoming an orphan.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
1. I'd drop all OEMs who I can tell are not worth much. Or let them do whatever but stop caring about angering them. If rumors are true that Microsoft sort of handicapped lumias to give OEMs a chance that is the stupidest thing I've heard from a company. Why on earth would you limit/handicap your best selling product in the HOPES that the OEMs(who literally did nothing Pre-nokia or post nokia) will make a difference...they won't. And the choice has never been an issue.

The CEO change was needed but you need to get people who truly seem to live and love your product daily. Not people who have no problem flaunting they are using competitor products.

6. Work on releasing SOLID products instead of half-baked products. Microsoft probably COULD have figured a way to make WP 8 work on existing WP7 devices but they just didn't.

If you knew in 2 years time you were going to essentially restart the process in 2014 with Windows 10, then doesn't that mean you also knew probably that prior to WIndows Phone 8...these gaps are really not easily excused.

8. Stop releasing the same exact hardware with small variations and choose a set stream lined family of products like apple does. The android method does nothing but confuses users(Pros and newbies...having to explain the difference between a 530, 532, 535, 540 is annoying).

9. More importantly, instead of creating NEW low end phones...continue selling current old phones. Instead of creating so many models, remember you still have good products.

A Lumia 920/925 could have easily became the new midrange instead of discontinuing it so soon.

Why do we need a Lumia 550 when we already have a Lumia 640.
The Lumia 1520 along with the Icon can then become the new 'mid rnage' or at least premium midrange.

Apple does this already with their older products. So does Samsung. HTC. LG. You can still buy their older models. You cant even buy a 1520 now.

10. Last but not least...Market your product.....and show faith that you believe in it. Microsoft shows little faith into Windows phone...they showed little faith into Metro instead of improving it, they butchered it into a modern windows 7(essentially regressing) for Windows 10.

Stand by your ideas and beliefs instead of constantly trying to change and conform if you want people to see you as a leader and not a me too.

Instead, this 'leader' in the desktop is essentially following and instead of differentiating to make an identity for themselves in mobile(and improving their strengths they already have), they decide to conform which doesn't give faith. It just says "Hey I want to fit in."
Dude you've made very nice points about the situation MSFT created and stuck-in now. Here's some from my observation :

1. MSFT lacks long-term plan on their mobile project
At first they say WP7 is a novel, light-weight mobile-OS and they limit the SPEC of the products which make them couldn't last long/update with the trend. Then they said WP8 is what they really want to do, WP7 is just a timely replacement for the WM6.5(what an insult to WP7 buyers). Now they say W10M is really the form they dream, WP8 era is just another spacer for the time-being (yeah I know most of them can be updated to W10M). Which brings me two questions :
1-1 : If MSFT knows the W10M is the final way to go, how come in the five year time WP7/8 had earn for it still not ready? With such a long deveopment period and release date by tomorrow why the preview build still just like a preview? This is unbelievably slow pace in OS development and very poor plan for the market. Don't tell me being such a big company you have only one team working on WP and focus on only one project at one time - that's imresponsible, and if you guys do have different teams working on this still like this - yes you guys working without proper plan.
1-2 : poor product-line plan, with the clear view that W10M will arrive in 2015 with much more functionality and API support which clearly need new and more powerful hardwares. How come in the 2014 they still "renew" the product line with very little hardware improvement? S400 all the way to the top L830 and even some S200, sub smartwatch level SoC in your product line and MSFT gave a 18-month maintain promise means they gonna drag all there devices into W10M era. How you gonna keep good UX/avoid fragmentation of UX and expend the ability of the OS at the same time? And stop make carrier adapted variant, that only increase stock loading. iPhone make very few variant to cover all carriers/bands/systems and that's the best thing MSFT can learn from apple, puls with that ability to support every carrier you can easily sell contract-free phones to people and not being restricted by carriers.

And no I don't think MSFT cared OEM otherwise they wouldn't bother to furfill the lumia line from 4xx to 9xx - that's six product lines. So I really believe that there's no real long-term plan in MSFT and this is no good for almost everyone.

However I don't agreed that you mention just keep the 920/925 to low-end instead of make new phones, they are the old flagship using old parts and it's just hard to maintain the source from supplier and they will lose in almost every aspect to new low-end phones (faster RAM/NAND, more power-saving SoC, less heat, more refined but cheapper cameras, newer API supported GPU...) and that's why the old snapdragon S4 plus out-speced the 1.2Ghz S400 in raw peformance but in real life the S400 phones runs slightly faster than those old S4 plus flagships

2. MSFT's marketing won't work, I just back from maldive for my honeymoon trip. More than 90% of the guys enjoying vacation there are holding some i devices - it looks like a passport for traveler almost lol. And during the trip there's WP ads in the TV all day long, they even showed up in some car CM. The WP banner also hanging in the local mobile shops, but every local prople I saw is either using old NOKIA feature phones or some samsung android entry phone. The WP ads seems just not knock-in, sad to see that.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Irrelevant how? Did MS unveil a time machine today so that they can go back and fix all their dumb decisions?

The whole point of the thread was about Microsoft paying full attention to windows 10 mobile. The present and future is where it's at. Microsoft has silenced a lot of the critics.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The whole point of the thread was about Microsoft paying full attention to windows 10 mobile. The present and future is where it's at. Microsoft has silenced a lot of the critics.

Right... So what's the future then? Is the 950 and 950XL going to launch on all carriers?

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
New hardware is nothing without an OS that can fully take advantage of it. And for a good reason today they not show much of W10M. What would you do? Show off the rubbish OS on highend phones that cost you hundreds of $$$?
While the event was about devices I truly see the OS as a part of the device especially when it comes to mobiles.
For sure the real flagship was the surface (book).
And the rest was just the usualy "awesome, great, supercool" features aka standard marketing bla bla bla. MS is doing well in making fancy presentations, showing what is technically possible with their devices but they not get it down to the customers. More and more (except the surface) it seems to me like a concept study than actually products made to be sold.
I wonder how they wanna ship the new Lumias in November while W10M still being a mess. I expect delays again or they throw a preview on these devices. But that will be the coffin nail then for W10M: flaky software on the highend phones. If so you can imagine what the reviews will be like...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
New hardware is nothing without an OS that can fully take advantage of it. And for a good reason today they not show much of W10M. What would you do? Show off the rubbish OS on highend phones that cost you hundreds of $$$?
While the event was about devices I truly see the OS as a part of the device especially when it comes to mobiles.
For sure the real flagship was the surface (book).
And the rest was just the usualy "awesome, great, supercool" features aka standard marketing bla bla bla. MS is doing well in making fancy presentations, showing what is technically possible with their devices but they not get it down to the customers. More and more (except the surface) it seems to me like a concept study than actually products made to be sold.
I wonder how they wanna ship the new Lumias in November while W10M still being a mess. I expect delays again or they throw a preview on these devices. But that will be the coffin nail then for W10M: flaky software on the highend phones. If so you can imagine what the reviews will be like...
Wouldn't it be RTM by then since the other Lumias are getting the update in December.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It's always been easier to criticize than evangelize.

I'm not a fan of evangelizing either as it removes clear thinking in place of fanaticism.

However, the howling hordes here have been dragging this on and on complaining about the smallest thing. Bit boring really.

I will agree with the fact that exclusive AT&T is a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.