Why does Windows 10 take almost six minutes to boot?

Fluence51

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 takes almost six minutes to boot

18 days ago, I bought a new laptop (Asus X550ZA, 12 GB RAM, 3.4 Ghz AMD A10 4core and Radeon Graphics)

I have to say I followed the same steps to install W10 as with three other less powerful PCs (through the Windows direct download tool); with them I've had no problem whatsoever (they were at least one year old or more). The only difference is this laptop had 8.1 for only about two hours.

In short, I'll enlist the failed solutions to solve the one problem (of many) I'm getting desperated with.

Boot time is a NIGHTMARE. Faster ever has been 1:34, but today I clocked 5:50 from pressing the power button to desktop. Still unusable for three more minutes or so.

I've literally tried everything I've found:
-Ran Malwarebytes five times: no malware. It's a brand new laptop, you know.
-Updated every single driver. Downloaded AMD most recent display driver and changed the ULPS register. Nothing.
-Disabled and enabled again fast startup and UEFI fast boot
-Disabled Superfetch and other services set to automatic (delayed)
-Disabled every startup app and background apps
-Defragmented hard disk
-Changed boot settings in msconfig (to use four cores, no GUI)

It goes like this: Asus logo for 8 seconds, black screen for a minute or so. Then the Windows 10 loading wheel for another minute, then finally my login picture and another loading wheel for another minute, if I'm lucky. They have all been saying is an AMD driver problem, but it doens't help at all. In fact, it takes even more time after the driver was updated.
Furthermore, CPU and disk usage are extremely high for most tasks I was used to on W7, topping 100 % for minutes. Again, I've tried most solutions I've seen (Windows tips off, some services off) with no success. So I think it might be related to the main problem.

Nevertheless, sleep, wake up and shutdown times I'm happy with (less than 10 seconds). It's just the slow boot and extremely high CPU usage I'm worried about.
It's frustrating than my old basic Gateway with pirated Windows 7 Ultimate runs like a charm and boots in 1:20. It's just ridiculous.

Please help, I'm desperated.

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 takes almost six minutes to boot

Hopefully you realize this isn't normal behavior and Win8.1 and Win10 both have very fast boot times.
So...you have a problem.
Have you tried going back to the old OS and trying again? If not, you should.
If you go back, you should do a clean install as that will ensure the best install, with the least chance for any corruption. Personal note - I had a pretty good system, did a few windows insider upgrades to Windows 10 beta, then upgraded to the released version...did not have a good experience. Worst computer in the house (I have around 10 computers). Then I did a clean install and now it is one of the best computers.

EDIT- JUST IN CASE - make sure your computer isn't getting hung up in background updates running at boot. Meaning log in, check for updates...reboot, rinse and repeat. Make sure all apps are up to date. I'm talking 20 minutes, not hours...just to make sure.

Last edited:

Fluence51

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

Clocked again at 8:44 and a good half hour to open Chrome ._____. So, I guess you're right. I've thought of a clean install for a few days, but it's always tricky and time consuming to configure everything again. Thanks a lot, I'll check updates as you say :)

Fluence51

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Did install via reset and seems to have worked. CPU has no overload and PC is notoriously faster. Still takes 40 - 50 seconds to boot, which are quite fine for me. I'll just load all my programs again to check. Thank you, guys! :smile:

patternjake

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to say the culprit is crapware that is pre-loaded on many PC's.
There is a program that deletes crap applications but I can't remember what it is called.

Jozef jurcisin

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Can you uninstall video driver and use just default WIN driver see if helps.
Did try boot in safe mode?

One more can you check BIOS if Secure Boot is on or off!

lkbig

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Also check and see if you have chrome apps loading at start. I know that they did a number on the boot time for my SP3. Disabled Chrome apps and that helped my boot significantly.

Windowsmasochist

Jun 7, 2018
Visit site

Good to know a new laptop has the same problems.

I have a 6 minute boot time on my old acer. I've exhaustively gone through boot records, turned video driver on and off, every possible thing.

It's beyond absurd that Microsoft hasn't recognized that their product should be able to start up almost instantly for such mundane tasks as simply browsing the internet. They say they have stopped development work on the "windows" products. As an old guy, I can remember having far less problems with Window's 95.

When I think of the amount of time I've lost dealing with Microsoft products over the years I wan't to cry.

Even with the most recent "updates" one of my laptops still can't put the audio through to the HDMI output to my TV. Yes I've tried all the fixes posted out there.

The whole world should file a class action suit against Microsoft and Bill Gates for all the headaches they cause everyone with their products.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
Crapware won't affect the startup much unless it started at startup or you have a very small boot drive. Startup is affected by what's running. Stuff not running will only affect if the drive free space is low.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss