I believe public perception is beginning to favor WP

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Which is kind of funny, seeing as all of us that have a WP are starting to get fed up with it.
I'm at college with my Lumia 1520, and it is not a new phone, I've had it since release. But strangely, a few people have starting asking recently if it's a Windows Phone, being genuinely interested and asking me how I like the platform. I don't know if it has to do with the traction of Windows 10, or people just getting bored with their platforms, but I have one professor who says consumers are much less loyal to companies these day compared to even 5 years ago. I hope he's right, considering WP is in a make or break position...

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
:crying:Well if you buy into the 1520 now, you're getting way better deal than what I got when I first got mine, I mean it's dirt cheap compared to any mid ranger and is still considered a flagship 18 months after release, I think if they managed to get Snapchat on WP via Android hack, old generation WP would sell like cakes at these prices.

DrunkasaurusRex

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
WP needs snapchat more than any other app I can think of. I see tons of people using it every day. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person not using it.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
WP needs snapchat more than any other app I can think of. I see tons of people using it every day. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person not using it.

That's just your oppinion. I'd prefer a better Skype app over snapchat all day every day. If all you need is snapchat and similar gimicky apps, you're better off with Android, which will give you all the eye-candy and time-wasting apps. I'm more concerned about the app quality in general, than a few apps missing.

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
That's just your oppinion. I'd prefer a better Skype app over snapchat all day every day. If all you need is snapchat and similar gimicky apps, you're better off with Android, which will give you all the eye-candy and time-wasting apps. I'm more concerned about the app quality in general, than a few apps missing.
...That is also your opinion.
I don't use snapchat but most the younger people around me are using it.

Jason De Castro

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I love how people dismiss other people with "that's just your opinion", but then, make comments that are simply their own opinion which they try to pass on as fact.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm at college with my Lumia 1520, and it is not a new phone, I've had it since release. But strangely, a few people have starting asking recently if it's a Windows Phone, being genuinely interested and asking me how I like the platform.

There is no doubt that a Windows phone (running WP8.1) looks eye catching, modern and very different from an Android or iOS phone. I'm always happy to tell people how much better it is than those other two platforms.

Unfortunately, I think W10M is going to lose a lot of that. Apart from the live tiles, it has largely adopted the Android UI and design language (deliberately, to aid porting of Android apps to W10M). I fear this will make the platform LESS attractive. After all, what's the point of using a near-lookalike that runs a number of Android apps? You might as well use the real thing that runs ALL Android apps - i.e. buy an Android phone.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
After all, what's the point of using a near-lookalike that runs a number of Android apps? .

Uhm, well, because it will be closely connected to and integrated with your PC running Windows 10 ?

Seriously, I don't see that much of an resemblance to Android, and Windows 10 Mobile has in my opinion a much more modern look and feel to it than 8 and 8.1

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Uhm, well, because it will be closely connected to and integrated with your PC running Windows 10 ?

Seriously, I don't see that much of an resemblance to Android, and Windows 10 Mobile has in my opinion a much more modern look and feel to it than 8 and 8.1

This is one of the things I didn't like about Android; it felt like it was floating all off by itself, while I had desktops and tablets running Windows and the Android phone was isolated and didn't work like my other devices. I don't think Continuum will ever make it to Android; its so deeply integrated into the OS, I can't see how it'd work on Android.

Plus I didn't like how invasive Google is, given that they actually make money off of your data.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Windows 10 with the downgraded tablet mode and numerous other issues from being shipped out half-baked? Yeah, no thanks.

The resemblances are in the settings menus, animations and icons. Take away the Start screen (last unique thing left) and you'd have something pretty close to a 3rd party launcher from the Play store.

My 4 year old Atrix 2 running stock Android 4.0.4 looks more modern than W10M. That's sad.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Windows 10 with the downgraded tablet mode and numerous other issues from being shipped out half-baked? Yeah, no thanks.

The resemblances are in the settings menus, animations and icons. Take away the Start screen (last unique thing left) and you'd have something pretty close to a 3rd party launcher from the Play store.

My 4 year old Atrix 2 running stock Android 4.0.4 looks more modern than W10M. That's sad.

Except your 4 year old android isn't pre release software now is it? Stop comparing finished product vs unfinished, its the stupidest way to compare anything, that's like taking a half built car and comparing it to a finished car, you just don't do it.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Except your 4 year old android isn't pre release software now is it? Stop comparing finished product vs unfinished, its the stupidest way to compare anything, that's like taking a half built car and comparing it to a finished car, you just don't do it.

Oh please don't give me that bologna. This garbage is being shipped out next month (lol). Unless MS is going to radically redesign everything at the last moment this is what we're stuck with. Circle profile pictures, iOS toggles, wireframe icons and hard to reach hamburger menus. It's like a greatest hits of UI fails.

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Oh please don't give me that bologna. This garbage is being shipped out next month (lol). Unless MS is going to radically redesign everything at the last moment this is what we're stuck with. Circle profile pictures, iOS toggles, wireframe icons and hard to reach hamburger menus. It's like a greatest hits of UI fails.

Don't forget the almost random back button purpose... what I mean is if I've selected something from the hamburger button that should really have been on the WP style pivot, it should take you back home or exit the app. If it's a dialogish page or something like the settings it should take you back to the previous page. To see how this works, try any of the new hamburger apps (like Groove) and compare it to the navigation of the settings (which other than when it switches categories because you've clicked a follow through link).

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

You talk as if its fact that these things are bad and not opinion.

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

W10M is mostly feature locked; the UI won't change (or very little if it does), it's mostly down to fine-tuning and bug fixes. While an admirable attempt, your argument is invalid.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
W10M is mostly feature locked; the UI won't change (or very little if it does), it's mostly down to fine-tuning and bug fixes. While an admirable attempt, your argument is invalid.

Yea it would be if you didn't pull that feature locked **** out of your ***, no onesaid its feature locked, that's just crap upset insiders made up because of a stabilization period.gabe aul himself said it is not feature complete, its just going through a temporary bug fix stage

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Yea it would be if you didn't pull that feature locked **** out of your ***, no onesaid its feature locked, that's just crap upset insiders made up because of a stabilization period.gabe aul himself said it is not feature complete, its just going through a temporary bug fix stage

First off, enhance your calm. Second, this thing is gonna RTM in a couple months, do you really believe they're going to implement any radical design changes this close to release? Sure, they may add a few small feaures and back-end stuff, but the UI is done. What you see is what you'll get.

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I remember seeing a lot more Windows Phones in public about a year ago when Microsoft were really pushing their phones through advertising. I hope they do this again when Windows 10 mobile is released. They need to be very cleaver with their advertising campaign; I don't know the magic answer but maybe focus on why people need it or what it can do that iPhone and Android can't. At the end of the day it's a smart phone and people expect it to do what iPhone and Android do and so it should really. Planned obsolescence is not the answer and 'coming soon' is not good enough. It should do what iPhone and Android do and even more. They have continuum but I think it needs more than that. I know the app gap is an issue unfortunately but hopefully with the new way of converting iPhone and Android apps it will boost their app store. Unfortunately again I haven't read too many enthusiastic developers wanting to port their apps over but I guess it's still early days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo