I'm ready to admit it.... Windows has gotten worse with 10

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have installed Windows 10 on many PCs already, for my own PCs, as well as family and friends. I can't say that I've noticed any particular performance issues that anyone else is reporting.

As a few other people have said, it sounds like some of the slowness and other responsiveness errors may be eliminated by a clean install of Windows 10...it sounds like there may be some issues with the file system.

Otherwise, if you are seriously unhappy with Windows 10, just use the recovery media that came with your PC, roll it back to Windows 7 or 8.1 until Windows 10 improves enough to suit your use case.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I've been an avid Microsoft supporter for a while now. You could say since I was 5 years old playing with MS-DOS on my father's fancy new Compaq PC. But I'm ready to say that I'm fed up with the new Windows. As far as I'm concerned, at the end of the day - it's become harder to use a computer rather than easier.

Edge sucks right now. It's the slowest browser of anything I've ever used to since XP. Yeah, I'm sure it will get better but so they say will all the other apps on 10. I want to open my calculator real quick to crunch some numbers? It sometimes never makes it past the splash screen. I want to open up a picture off my hard disk? The photos app takes a solid minute to load. These are things that should've been solved in 1990. It has actually gotten more frustrating to use a computer than it used to be since I installed Windows 10. Edge crashes all the time, scrolling sucks, some pages are just not functional that are just fine in other browsers. It's not what was promised.

This is just unacceptable from such a large software corporation. I think it goes to show that software is in trouble. If Apple is taking over then we're screwed. Gone will be the days of people who know how to use a command prompt. I'm probably just going to revert to 7 and be like one of the other old guys who are stuck in old technology and we swear that it is better. But I've come to realize it's true. As much as I wanted to love Windows 10, I actually I hate it. All I can say is that things are broken now that didn't used to be, and not much has gotten better if anything.

Let's cross our fingers for Windows 11.

I'm no fan of W10 but it should not be as bad as you describe.
Make a reinstall (just make sure that it is activated before...).

However, I agree that W10 is bad, especially if you did like W8/8.1 or if you have a tablet... It is also too much beta feeling over the included apps. I do not know why they had to ship it before the school start? I don't think apple was about to take a new chunk of the PC users... I would absolutely have preferred a better W10 launched in October/November (better apps, better OneDrive, better start menu, less embarrassing Edge, better continuum, Tablet mode @%#%&&#@!!! etc etc) AND together with W10M (if they can get it working decently without loosing the good parts from 8.1), new phones AND surface 4/ pro 4...

That could have been an impressive lineup...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I've been an avid Microsoft supporter for a while now. You could say since I was 5 years old playing with MS-DOS on my father's fancy new Compaq PC. But I'm ready to say that I'm fed up with the new Windows. As far as I'm concerned, at the end of the day - it's become harder to use a computer rather than easier.

Edge sucks right now. It's the slowest browser of anything I've ever used to since XP. Yeah, I'm sure it will get better but so they say will all the other apps on 10. I want to open my calculator real quick to crunch some numbers? It sometimes never makes it past the splash screen. I want to open up a picture off my hard disk? The photos app takes a solid minute to load. These are things that should've been solved in 1990. It has actually gotten more frustrating to use a computer than it used to be since I installed Windows 10. Edge crashes all the time, scrolling sucks, some pages are just not functional that are just fine in other browsers. It's not what was promised.

This is just unacceptable from such a large software corporation. I think it goes to show that software is in trouble. If Apple is taking over then we're screwed. Gone will be the days of people who know how to use a command prompt. I'm probably just going to revert to 7 and be like one of the other old guys who are stuck in old technology and we swear that it is better. But I've come to realize it's true. As much as I wanted to love Windows 10, I actually I hate it. All I can say is that things are broken now that didn't used to be, and not much has gotten better if anything.

Let's cross our fingers for Windows 11.

You are wrong about EDGE! You're just forgot how an operating system works.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Huh? How an operating system works? What's that got to do with Firefox and IE running way better than Edge?
Like I said. Its an operating system. Specifically Microsoft Windows. And if you remember anything from your years with your fathers PC, you should have a better handle on how these things work. You don't seem to IMHO. And that's ok This is the age of android and google. Where everything is done for you in some app and thinking no longer necessary. Microsoft Windows still require you to bring something to the table. In many ways, so does OSX. The fact is, Edge has one major problem and a few little ones. Adverts kill it. it has no ad block so ads kill that browser as it would any. That part can be fixed and when you see how you'll say, why didn't I think of that? Search the forums for Edge is behaving... you'll find it. It'll change your mind.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Installed W10 on my Windows 7 desktop. Desktop is faster. Needless to say, I disagree with the OP.

As for Edge, it's feature lacking even compared to IE. Fortunately, I'm using Windows and I can use any browser I want, even IE11 (because it's still built-in).

kingjah

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I have upgraded my laptop, 2 desktops, my tablet and a bunch desktops at work, non have performance issues with Win 10 or Edge. If fact I have had zero complaints other than my Lenovo Yoga2 tablet which will require a bios update to work correctly on windows 10

hrudu

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
W10 is an OS for soccer moms; it looks pretty and edge loads tons of junk.
I took me a while to figure out how to load it with a blank page.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I have installed Windows 10 on many PCs already, for my own PCs, as well as family and friends. I can't say that I've noticed any particular performance issues that anyone else is reporting.

As a few other people have said, it sounds like some of the slowness and other responsiveness errors may be eliminated by a clean install of Windows 10...it sounds like there may be some issues with the file system.

Otherwise, if you are seriously unhappy with Windows 10, just use the recovery media that came with your PC, roll it back to Windows 7 or 8.1 until Windows 10 improves enough to suit your use case.
Do you have a Surface Pro 3?

If you do, try this: Dual boot fresh, clean, installs. One with Windows 8.1 all patched and updated. The other Windows 10, all patched and updated.

Now, detach your keyboard (and a mouse if you have one connected) and put it in a drawer where you can't get to it easily. Get a full charge on the battery in the morning. Boot into W8.1 and run it for a day. Then the next day, on a full charge, run W10 in TABLET mode ONLY.

When you get done, come back and let us know which is easier to use, and which O/S lasted the longest on a single charge, and what bugs or weird things you noticed.

I ask this of you, because long ago MS used to do what was called "Eeeek!!! No mouse day!" with their programmers. The department manager would go around before anyone got in, in the morning, and take everyone's mouse away. It was a way to force the programmers to stop and realize that one of the missions of programming was to make sure that you could "drive" around the O/S and all the programs without a mouse.

I don't think anyone has done this with Windows 10 and forced anyone to just use it in "Tablet Mode". It's just to easy to stop, flip the keyboard, and go back to "Desktop Mode" when you are stuck or frustrated. I'm pretty sure they did "Eeeek!! No keyboard!" days with Windows 8.1 and forced everyone to use touch only, which oddly enough they did a really good job. But with W10... I don't think they have done one "Eeeek! No keyboard" day since the started working on it.

Last edited:

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Installed Win10 on both my laptops and my Surface 3. All are working extremely well with no issues. I'm on my work laptop 8-10 hours a day doing lots of text work, HTML coding, website updates, communications, hundreds of emails, lots of Internet stuff using Firefox, and a number of business tools going all the time. World is perfect. Win10 is rock solid, quick, easy to get around in, and gets the job done.

Many others I work with all report the same.

wdogg590

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your Windows installation OP. I have Windows 10 on five computers so far, and all work flawlessly. All drivers and BIOS are updated where possible manually and via Windows Update. Except for NVIDIA drivers that kept causing freezes and failures.

Even Edge uses less RAM and CPU than Chrome does on my machines.

Makes me wonder if other users are maintaining their machines properly, both within the OS and hardware, because I don't understand how people run into these issues.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey OP if you got bad experience with modern apps you can always override the setting.

Windows 10 come with great modern apps but sometimes not work as expected.

First you can always have windows photo viewers (desktop apps) to open the photo.

For video and music you can set windows media player as default.

Edge behave oddly? You can use old IE or 3rd party browser.

Driver issues? Make sure you disable all driver updates using tools from Microsoft and update driver manually.

Windows 10 is great OS but they didn't discard win32 apps that come from windows. Modern application is great but the options isn't gone

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey OP if you got bad experience with modern apps you can always override the setting.

Windows 10 come with great modern apps but sometimes not work as expected.

First you can always have windows photo viewers (desktop apps) to open the photo.

For video and music you can set windows media player as default.

Edge behave oddly? You can use old IE or 3rd party browser.

Driver issues? Make sure you disable all driver updates using tools from Microsoft and update driver manually.

Windows 10 is great OS but they didn't discard win32 apps that come from windows. Modern application is great but the options isn't gone

Why do that? Wouldn't it be easier just to blame Microsoft?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss