I'm ready to admit it.... Windows has gotten worse with 10

michaelaf

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I've been an avid Microsoft supporter for a while now. You could say since I was 5 years old playing with MS-DOS on my father's fancy new Compaq PC. But I'm ready to say that I'm fed up with the new Windows. As far as I'm concerned, at the end of the day - it's become harder to use a computer rather than easier.

Edge sucks right now. It's the slowest browser of anything I've ever used to since XP. Yeah, I'm sure it will get better but so they say will all the other apps on 10. I want to open my calculator real quick to crunch some numbers? It sometimes never makes it past the splash screen. I want to open up a picture off my hard disk? The photos app takes a solid minute to load. These are things that should've been solved in 1990. It has actually gotten more frustrating to use a computer than it used to be since I installed Windows 10. Edge crashes all the time, scrolling sucks, some pages are just not functional that are just fine in other browsers. It's not what was promised.

This is just unacceptable from such a large software corporation. I think it goes to show that software is in trouble. If Apple is taking over then we're screwed. Gone will be the days of people who know how to use a command prompt. I'm probably just going to revert to 7 and be like one of the other old guys who are stuck in old technology and we swear that it is better. But I've come to realize it's true. As much as I wanted to love Windows 10, I actually I hate it. All I can say is that things are broken now that didn't used to be, and not much has gotten better if anything.

Let's cross our fingers for Windows 11.

harihar akhil

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
I get your feelings. Being a 15 years xp user windows 10 and 8.1 are complete .what did i do-uninstalled all apps using PowerShell,made google chrome my default browser even its a complete .no way to remove OneDrive completely from pc,Splash screen even for small static apps,no windows update in control panel as the update option in settings does not work.

Though there are only things that i love in windows 10 like snap,virtual desktops

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, that's weird. I never had these problems after I upgraded to Windows 10. I was actually struggling with a page on IE11 where I was doing some data entry, and the page was refreshing very slowly because the table in it was getting very large, so I decided to give Edge a try, and I was shocked how fast it was loading the page, I was able to complete my data entry in a short time. The calculator app, among others, is opening perfectly fine without any lags, and I have an old Core 2 duo CPU. I think your case is an exception, something doesn't sound right on the computer itself.

Hugo Sundberg

May 19, 2014
Visit site
When I first installed Windows 10 it was pretty bad. Edge was crazily slow among other problems. I did a factory reset and now it works like a charm. Brest operating system I've ever used. 👍

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I do admit there are few issues that frustrated me with Windows 10 and are making me consider if I should go back to 8.1. I'm not comfortable with new Windows Update system, I can't increase the number of items in the jump list, window title bar lost its color (I know it's coming in the next build), beside other minor issues, but none is performance related.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been using windows xp for about 10 years or so, i upgraded from '98 and never changed it so far. Never had either vista, 7, 8, 8.1, nothing, just xp. What can i say, its perfect, i wish they could do some kind of remaster to it, i'd definetly buy it.
As far as i'm concerned, there has been faulty OS before this one, anyone ever heard for windows 2000, or windowa ME? Guess not. And what about vista? Pff, complete bull. What im trying to say, dont be so harsh, give it a try, maybe it'll turn out its not so bad, after all, its not the first nor the last failure MS has (maybe, maybe not) made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Edge sucks right now. It's the slowest browser of anything I've ever used to since XP........ I want to open my calculator real quick to crunch some numbers? It sometimes never makes it past the splash screen. I want to open up a picture off my hard disk? The photos app takes a solid minute to load. These are things that should've been solved in 1990.

These are absolutely NOT my experiences with W10. I think there is something wrong with your installation. Before writing it off, I strongly suggest you start all over with a formatted disk and a clean install. I bet that will change your view of it.

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, I've been an avid Microsoft supporter for a while now. You could say since I was 5 years old playing with MS-DOS on my father's fancy new Compaq PC. But I'm ready to say that I'm fed up with the new Windows. As far as I'm concerned, at the end of the day - it's become harder to use a computer rather than easier.

Edge sucks right now. It's the slowest browser of anything I've ever used to since XP. Yeah, I'm sure it will get better but so they say will all the other apps on 10. I want to open my calculator real quick to crunch some numbers? It sometimes never makes it past the splash screen. I want to open up a picture off my hard disk? The photos app takes a solid minute to load. These are things that should've been solved in 1990. It has actually gotten more frustrating to use a computer than it used to be since I installed Windows 10. Edge crashes all the time, scrolling sucks, some pages are just not functional that are just fine in other browsers. It's not what was promised.

This is just unacceptable from such a large software corporation. I think it goes to show that software is in trouble. If Apple is taking over then we're screwed. Gone will be the days of people who know how to use a command prompt. I'm probably just going to revert to 7 and be like one of the other old guys who are stuck in old technology and we swear that it is better. But I've come to realize it's true. As much as I wanted to love Windows 10, I actually I hate it. All I can say is that things are broken now that didn't used to be, and not much has gotten better if anything.

Win10 works fine on my laptop.not as good as w7 but still good. Only problem i have is the bootup time when i manually restart. Edge runs very fast too. Maybe you have some driver problem

Chuckcell

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I've done 2 installs. My laptop, a Dell Inspiron (32bit) and yesterday my desktop, a Puget System (64bit), a semi-custom system.
I have had one problem. The Puget system has an LG Blu-ray burner that Win10 will not recognize.
I replaced the Puget's DVD with the Blu-ray to do local backups.
I may have to revert down to the DVD but have seen a solution - relocate the burner on the ATA chain - that I want to try first.
Internet postings say that MS doesn't want to pay for the Blu Ray codec. Total PITA.
And of course LG doesn't have a 10 driver available. Total PITAx2.

Chuckcell

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
As to performance I haven't seen any degradation with either machine, with WiFi or wired, yet.
I suppose there's always hope though☺.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you may have a problem with your installation having used all of your on board memory.

I had a similar issue when I upgraded my HP Stream 7 tablet, it only has 32GB and when I checked in File Explorer there was a great big red bar with a tiny sliver of free space on the right. Performing a clean installation solved this. I then created a recovery drive and deleted the contents of the recovery partition, which freed up a lot of space. On my device, the C drive now shows 13.3GB free up from practically nothing and I also have a second drive with over 5GB. The device now works well.

To the people who argue that they're good Microsoft customers, having used XP for 15 years, I'd suggest the following analogy: About 15 years ago, I visited Falmouth in Cornwall on holiday and I remember having a superb spaghetti al fungi. What do you think would happen if I went back today and demanded a free meal on the grounds of being a loyal customer, despite never having gone back before?

In short, I think you guys should get a life. The days when an operating system just gave you access to your drives and launched applications is long gone. Today, your operating system can be much more proactive for you, reminding you of appointments even when you neglected to open your calendar app. Warning you of bad traffic on the way home and being a knowledgeable friend when you want to know how tall Grace Jones is (I met her briefly).

In a world where PCs are so portable it doesn't hurt to carry them around any more and where they synchronise seamlessly with your phone (through that One Drive thing you deleted), new possibilities are emerging even if all you do is write using Word. It's time to get with the program and show a little style in appreciating Microsoft still want you around.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

There won't be a windows 11. Windows 10 is the last one. Honestly, Microsoft should have just taken their time and released the OS in October/November with phones and xbox. Things will get better with updates but the issues make Microsoft look so bad.

Shiells

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I agree. Windows 10 is not to my liking. It seems to me that Windows 8.1 is much better suited for touchscreen notebooks whereas with Windows 10, if you have a touchscreen notebook, instead of being able to use your touchscreen notebook as such, you either have to use it like a tablet or like a non-touchscreen PC. I don't want to use my touchscreen notebook like a tablet or like a non-touchscreen PC; I want to use my touchscreen notebook like a touchscreen notebook. Also, I dislike the flimsy excuse given for destroying the ability to decide which updates your computer should have. I think we all know, if it hasn't happened already, that with Windows 10, it's only a matter of time before some company you cannot stand pays Microsoft to force their horrible software onto your computer. Not to mention that downloading Windows 10 caused my computer some horrible issues that neither it's maker nor Microsoft cares to acknowledge or resolve although these issues have been common since beta testing. So, I'm back with Windows 8.1 for now, and because of Windows 10, I'll buy Macintosh from now on.

Last edited:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Photos app was really really slow. It's gotten faster with the latest updates
New Control Panel is nice looking and fast nothing wrong with it.
Edge *is fast*, but it uses ram and CPU like there's no tomorrow. It's not a browser made for daily usage. Not yet at least. It never crashes though.

You compare it with Apple. Apple has had its apps on the same code base for a decade now. Microsoft's Universal App platform is only 3 years old at this point. The platform got news APIs with 8.1 and now with W10. Think of it as ... Microsoft had to get to iOS/Android level of complexity in number of APIs and flexibility, even MORE so with the whole "One Code runs on Desktop, Phones, Tablets, Xbox, even iOS and Android".

It's dissapointing seeing how the apps are still not ready. However people must understand the monumetal task Microsoft took upon themselves. They made major strides really. Just compared the Mail app from Windows 8.0 and the one from Windows 10 and observe how many improvements they made in design, functions, usability and versatiliy.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
The original post sounds like he's got faulty hardware, try fresh install or get a pc above 1ghz. As cheeky as that sounds it could be if he's running xp. Why on earth are you running xp? It's full of security issues and it's a patch o/s? Every time you need something it has to be updated like Bluetooth for example! All xp uses should of switched to 7 at least as previously noted 7 is multithreaded o/s, xo is single thread. I upgraded an xp laptop which had 2gb ram 1.5ghz dual centrino proc ran better on 7 than xp considering 7 was out 7 years later!

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows 11?
ibpsyZTg4YReXc.gif

michaelaf

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
My hardware is fine, I'm on a new laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1, and I also have a new AIO Dell at work that I also upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Both have had issues after I upgraded. Never said I'm running XP either, I just made a reference to how much better Windows was back in those days.

I'll say that I do like 10 much better than 8 and would not go back. I'll just patiently wait for them to roll out the necessary updates to bring this back up to par. I'm just frustrated in the meantime.

I probably should try to do a fresh install since I've been running the technical preview on my laptop since March. That should solve some of the issues. And I understand how they're re-writing the code base, but like I said -- the bottom line is at the end of the day my user experience is frustration.

I know I'm not alone on the issue where it takes 5 minutes for this thing to shut down either. It boots up quick but if I need to restart I may as well get up and make a cup of coffee while I'm waiting. The thing is this OS just feels incomplete. They really jumped the gun by releasing it too early and it may be hurting their image. I'll still be loyal though, I don't plan on switching to Apple and Linux isn't all that appealing.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
My hardware is fine, I'm on a new laptop that shipped with Windows 8.1, and I also have a new AIO Dell at work that I also upgraded from 8.1 to 10. Both have had issues after I upgraded. Never said I'm running XP either, I just made a reference to how much better Windows was back in those days.

I'll say that I do like 10 much better than 8 and would not go back. I'll just patiently wait for them to roll out the necessary updates to bring this back up to par. I'm just frustrated in the meantime.

I probably should try to do a fresh install since I've been running the technical preview on my laptop since March. That should solve some of the issues. And I understand how they're re-writing the code base, but like I said -- the bottom line is at the end of the day my user experience is frustration.

I know I'm not alone on the issue where it takes 5 minutes for this thing to shut down either. It boots up quick but if I need to restart I may as well get up and make a cup of coffee while I'm waiting. The thing is this OS just feels incomplete. They really jumped the gun by releasing it too early and it may be hurting their image. I'll still be loyal though, I don't plan on switching to Apple and Linux isn't all that appealing.

I've upgraded several PCs (laptops/desktops) and can honestly say my trek to the "final destination" wasn't easy nor smooth, definitely a challenge compared to previous OSs, chose various methods such as the simple upgrade, a refresh of the old OS then upgrading ( my most chosen route), and full-on clean install of W10.

As for the final outcomes, can't say in the end one method worked better over the other especially considering the variances in hardware, the majority of my computers have SSD's which makes a huge difference with just about any OS. Finding on a couple of machines using the std. SATA HDD that boot times are a tad slow considering their specs, in no way are they extreme unless you compare against an SSD which stand to reason, shutdown times are pretty much normal I'd say.

Have a 3 year old Lenovo AIO desktop (i7/8 gigs ram/touchscreen etc.) that has never been stellar from the day we bought it, very slow boot times, WiFi issues amongst many other things, it came w/Windows 7 but was Windows 8 ready, waited for Windows 8.1 then first upgrade then clean installed, sadly it was the "same old". Upon W10 arrival I upgraded, without doing much testing I then swapped in an SSD and performed a clean install, well let me just say that this PC has been reborn and all its previous ailments are now gone, yes the SSD did wonders but it runs W10 much smoother and is way more fluid than any other OS before it... That's my success story :)

My overall impressions of W10 are favourable although it does have a few quirks and is unpolished as some have already mentioned, hardware and device support has surpassed my expectations which is very welcoming, have one PC in particular I've installed some technical/business software/hardware which requires an older OS, so far it has been up to the challenge. Rarely use the Edge Browser as it seems kind of counterproductive, suppose when something is foreign it will be, stability does seem a bit of a concern but then IE, Firefox along with others have that too.

If I had to sum up my W10 experience so far... Somewhat of a nightmarish upgrade/clean install process over any other OS (at this time), once up and running though it is very usable and workable and Mikey actually likes it. Though it is a lengthy process I'd recommend a "clean" install over any other method, most PCs that have been running its previous OS for some time surely has some excess baggage which will cause a less than optimum functioning OS and the user experience could be degraded.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
These are absolutely NOT my experiences with W10. I think there is something wrong with your installation. Before writing it off, I strongly suggest you start all over with a formatted disk and a clean install. I bet that will change your view of it.

I don't think it's that simple. First of all a lot of people have apps and files installed out there. And most are going to take the upgrade route. So if MS can't perfect their upgrade process they shouldn't release it.

Next I did a clean install and took quite a hit, especially with all my mods in skyrim etc.. And while it did run a bit better there are still issues I experience. I've had it freeze at login screen. I have the start button regularly just stop working. Edge freezes quite often while browsing. And I still don't even have mail under my notifications settings so I'm not getting mail notifications. My brother gets them. I can fix it with some registry fix, but I won't. There's been numerous cumulative updates, that they could have fixed this issue in and they haven't. This is an issue that feedback users have been complaining about. If they were building Windows 10 from scratch they could have easily dumped the registry which is likely the cause of most of their problems. The registry allows certain settings etc.. So the upgrade process to convert to a new format would require some people involved that know the ins and outs of the registry, whether it is tweaked or not. It could spare them future headaches.

But either way part of MS's problem is that they have a way of developing a "bad rep". Once internet explorer developed a bad rep it was over with. Even though subsequent releases of IE were really good, people had it ingrained in them that it's bad. So they wanted to start over with Edge, except edge is slowly developing a bad rep too. Hopefully their next big release fixes a lot of issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99