dreamspark

Dominik91

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Now that windows 10 is availible we need to upgrade to windows 10 within one year. Because I study computer science, I am part of the DreamSpark program and have access to multiple windows 7 and Windows 8 keys.

My question is about how many times I can install each of these OS's and on how many computers, and if I can simply pre-activate a Windows 7 or 8 key to get access to the one-year free upgrade offer for when I need them, which will probably be sometimes after the free upgrade offer expires.

Please pardon my relatively broken english.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was going to look it up, but my DreamSpark doesn't have Win7 or Win8. You must have the extra stuff that your school can add, as my school doesn't have any DreamSpark extras, so I don't know what the extras are.

I'd say you could probably find the answer to your first question (how many computers you can use a key on) in the EULA. Don't be surprised, though, if it doesn't work on more than one. Especially when upgrading to Win10. Windows 10 changes the way Windows is authenticated, and it links the hardware to the license, so I wouldn't expect a license to work for more than one upgrade. Theoretically, it is possible that upgrading a Win10 PC could invalidate another computer's install of Win7 or Win8 if they're using the same key. Whether they do that or not, I don't know - I'm just pondering and thinking that it would be simple to implement, so it is possible.

Dominik91

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
So I couldn't just install Win 8 on a PC, upgrade to Win10, and then uninstall it to reuse it when I need it?

And after the one-year offer expires I have to buy a Win10 licence to upgrade ?

Rising Mos

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Officially, you can install windows from dreamspark on one device at a time. That being said, I don't know if your way is legit or not :) but I expect that it would work.

After activating windows 8, 7 a number of time, online activation would stop working. Phone would work though. I had this happen to me one time in 7 where I installed it multiple time trying to get rid of a virus.

Dominik91

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Will using the phone work allways or are there rules? I never used phone activation.

And you are saying that DreamSpark Windows licences can be transfered, unlike OEM licences, right?

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're asking if you can use a key to upgrade it now and then uninstall windows 10 to use after the upgrade period, I'd think not. I believe the upgrade issues you a new key, but what would happen if you tried to use this key on a fresh install a year from now is an interesting question. I wouldn't be surprised if all these keys expire after the free upgrade period. Otherwise tons of people would do the same thing you're thinking of doing and then selling windows 10 keys a year from now.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I believe once you install the upgrade to Windows 10, it ties that product key to the hardware and also to Windows 10. There is a way to roll back, but I haven't done it so don't know how well it works. Here's a link from Paul Thurrott (https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3898/a-few-more-answers-about-windows-10-upgrades), and while it doesn't say a whole lot, I have heard him speak on the subject on Windows Weekly (www.twit.tv/ww) a number of times, and the impression I get from him is that once you use that key to activate a Win10 update, you won't be able to use that same key to install Win8 (or 7 for that matter).

Dominik91

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Even if the new windows 10 key is paired with the hardware, can I not simply transfer the license somehow? Wasn't there some kind of system for that? And is it possible to simply use windows 8 and use its original key to install windows 8 if I cant transfer the Win10 license instead?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The way I understand it, here are the answers to your questions. These may not be right, since Microsoft has not been very forthcoming in this area, though.
1. No.
2. It doesn't matter if there was or there wasn't. This isn't was. This is now.
3. No.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon