How can I file a complaint against MS?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
BTW, it is not about the 50Cents!
Its about Ms is creating a condition forcing users to open an MS account! Got it? I know W10 looks pretty and its phreeeeeeeeeeee.

Parental control works just fine in Windows 8.1 with local accounts!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ndows-10/a30da38b-fb87-498b-800c-bd4500da782e

~~~

How else do you expect MS to identify you as you and your kids as your kids and their associated profiles and restrictions that come along with what you specified for them? How do you expect all those settings to follow them to whatever device they log into without applying some type of global (the MS account) policy?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
$0.50 to make a global account that has the same parental controls whatever device they use wherever they use it? Tell me ONE other such service anywhere that costs less...

I TRUELY dare you and I will post a video of me eating something strange...

I'll tell you one. Setting up an adult MS account, that's totally free, and also has the same content controls on whatever device you use it, wherever you use it. MS only charge children, I presume that's why it's set at pocket money rates. Relatively then, not cheap.

So, what were you going to eat? Please don't say a McDonalds meal, we don't want you going too far. I challenge you to eat a battered saveloy and survive. :)~

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
For the purposes of this post, please understand that a "child account" is meant for a child under the age of 13 only. Age 13 and over are not required to have a child account.
MS only charge children, I presume that's why it's set at pocket money rates.

Dude, did you even read the link above from Microsoft's website that explains why? It's the LAW! They cannot allow you to set up a child account without charging you, because the law requires the charge for every child account. This is required of every company, not just Microsoft.

Children, by law, are not allowed to set up an account. It has to be set up by an adult under the law. The charge is to prove that it is the adult setting up an account for a child and approving the child's account.

If you want to set up an account for your child on a forum, or on Disney site, or whatever, guess what? The law will require the charge, period. If a company or web site is not charging, then they are breaking the law.

See the link again: Why does Microsoft charge me when I create an account for my child? - Windows Help

Just some further food for thought. If you allow an account to be set up for your child or BY your child, you are breaking your law by not properly giving the permission. It has to be set up as a child account under the law (COPPA).

I once ran a site that allowed child accounts. Back then, we were required to obtain written permission and a signature from the parent. When the law changed to require the charge, we took the site off-line, because we didn't want to deal with it.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Meh, that doesnt affect me. What are they, going to press charges against me while I'm in Eastern Europe? Doubt it.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Most of the time when I see/read people raging about something Microsoft did/does, I always assume the rager didn't know any better. This is another one of those cases.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php

Attachments

• whine-coolers1.jpg
    whine-coolers1.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 49

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft and Family Safety comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) regarding online account creation for children under the age of 13. To verify that an adult is giving a child permission to create a new Microsoft account, COPPA requires that a small amount be charged to the adult's credit card. We charge 50 cents for this verification. These charges aren't refundable.

Am I charged for each child I sign up?

Yes. A fee is required by COPPA.

Do other companies charge this fee?

Yes. A fee is required by COPPA.

Not really something Microsoft can do about is it?

Also how do you expect for Parental settings to "follow" a child if it's not tied to an Account?

A local account is just that, yes you can create a standard account and install parental controls. Heck you can block most things on your router (& specify access times to a particular device) or the easiest via your internet service provider. However obviously none of these method won't "follow" / "roam" to other internet connections that's why a Microsoft Account is required.

Edit: Should have read through the thread before posting lol.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
All kids know their way around parental controls.

This is part of the family accounts you can add. If you add a child account you have really fine grained control over in in windows 10. You can even get reports on where they surfed what apps they were using, etc.. No way around that.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
This is part of the family accounts you can add. If you add a child account you have really fine grained control over in in windows 10. You can even get reports on where they surfed what apps they were using, etc.. No way around that.

They can make a parent account, how about that? Like i did. Damn few months till i'm 18.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
They can make a parent account, how about that? Like i did. Damn few months till i'm 18.

Well, no the point is your parents have the main account. And then they give you non-administrative access via a child account. A child account can't make accounts. But honestly, I think it's more for younger kids. There's a lot of predators on the internet going after very young impressionable girls. This is a good way to keep track of those young kids. Your parents shouldn't really care if you're 17 what you do. hehe.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Haha, of course they don't, they don't even know about this stuff. But i do get you, it is a very useful thing to have. For example, my younger, much younger sister has an Android device and when i was settig it up for her there was no word about parental control or whatsoever, so i ended up signing her with my Gmail account so i can see what she's doing and stuff. My point is that i cant really understand why is this guy complaining, it's for your kid's safety. I mean, you're lucky enough they haven't figured out the way to 'hack' the system gagaga

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Your parents shouldn't really care if you're 17 what you do. hehe.
Real parents care what you do, whether you're 7, 17, or 47. Whether they can do anything about it or not, that's a different discussion. My kids are 20 and 22, and I care very much what they do. I don't control it, but I care. My son no longer takes orders from me. He gets his orders from the United States Marine Corps.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Real parents care what you do, whether you're 7, 17, or 47. Whether they can do anything about it or not, that's a different discussion. My kids are 20 and 22, and I care very much what they do. I don't control it, but I care. My son no longer takes orders from me. He gets his orders from the United States Marine Corps.

He was obviously reffering to internet browsing, store and stuff. I doubt you'd care which apps your son downloads :d

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
For the purposes of this post, please understand that a "child account" is meant for a child under the age of 13 only. Age 13 and over are not required to have a child account.

Dude, did you even read the link above from Microsoft's website that explains why? It's the LAW! They cannot allow you to set up a child account without charging you, because the law requires the charge for every child account. This is required of every company, not just Microsoft.

Children, by law, are not allowed to set up an account. It has to be set up by an adult under the law. The charge is to prove that it is the adult setting up an account for a child and approving the child's account.

If you want to set up an account for your child on a forum, or on Disney site, or whatever, guess what? The law will require the charge, period. If a company or web site is not charging, then they are breaking the law.

See the link again: Why does Microsoft charge me when I create an account for my child? - Windows Help

Just some further food for thought. If you allow an account to be set up for your child or BY your child, you are breaking your law by not properly giving the permission. It has to be set up as a child account under the law (COPPA).

I once ran a site that allowed child accounts. Back then, we were required to obtain written permission and a signature from the parent. When the law changed to require the charge, we took the site off-line, because we didn't want to deal with it.

Not a law here in the UK. What Roku do, to test the charge card (odd, but they do it) is to charge one penny to the card then refund it (I know of no other examples of companies doing such tests in the UK). There is no need to keep the money. I wonder why MS do? Also, no charge to set up a child login on Netflix (at least in the UK). MS seem to be making things up as they go along, unless there are special rules for MS.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Not a law here in the UK. What Roku do, to test the charge card (odd, but they do it) is to charge one penny to the card then refund it (I know of no other examples of companies doing such tests in the UK). There is no need to keep the money. I wonder why MS do? Also, no charge to set up a child login on Netflix (at least in the UK). MS seem to be making things up as they go along, unless there are special rules for MS.

Rhapdog was right, it is actually a law, COPPA or something. Just go to any US gaming forum and try to register a new account, you'll se an agreement put in front of you asking you to verify that you are age 13 or more in order to proceed with the registration.
I know it's a bit awkward, but i hear you, i'm from Europe too (at least the continent), from Bosnia to be more precise, and neither do we have any kind of these laws.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Rhapdog was right, it is actually a law, COPPA or something. Just go to any US gaming forum and try to register a new account, you'll se an agreement put in front of you asking you to verify that you are age 13 or more in order to proceed with the registration.
I know it's a bit awkward, but i hear you, i'm from Europe too (at least the continent), from Bosnia to be more precise, and neither do we have any kind of these laws.

I can see there is some kind of law applying to US citizens, but not to most people. Also, I don't believe the law requires MS to keep any money, as I demonstrated Roku manage to avoid keeping anything. That law does not explain MS's practice of charging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss