Does anyone know an easy way to weed out programs and files that are of no use to me. tia?

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: does anyone know an easy way to weed out programs and files that are of no use to me. tia

Can we get a bit more information?
Some questions off the top of my head to get a better understanding: Is this a new computer? Upgrade or clean install? How much room are you looking to free up? What does task manager say about your resources? Is this a laptop or desktop or tablet? Are there programs you installed that aren't in use anymore that you can uninstall via Add/Remove Programs?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: does anyone know an easy way to weed out programs and files that are of no use to me. tia

Run Disk Cleanup tool to start. If you select Administrator mode when it runs then you can get rid of even more space like old Windows versions.

Add/Remove programs is how you uninstall programs. If you don't use something, then you can generally uninstall it, but probably best to steer clear of things unless you know what it is.

Moondoggy

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Another way that's a bit more drastic would be to first back up your hard drive to either the cloud or to an external HD using something like Acronis True Image. Once you have everything backed up then perform a Windows 10 reset selecting the option to remove everything from your HD. When the reset completes, you will have a brand new, fresh copy of Windows 10 on your PC with no apps and no data. At that point, you can reinstall the apps that you really need and then from the True Image backup you restore any data files that your app uses. If you're going to do this I would audit your system to try and determine what you have installed and why.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077