[Issue] Windows 10 Hibernation Issues, why can't I do it?

Tommy Sebestyen

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
[Issue] Windows 10 Hibernation Issues

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster.
Before I even explain my issue, let me explain my circumstances.
I upgraded from Windows 7 SP1. I'm on an Acer Aspire 5560 (1.6GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD). I also haven't had the issue since some Microsoft tech support guy did remote assistance on my laptop. The things that he did didn't seem to cause it (I watched him) but the problem started since then.
Okay, here's my problem:
My laptop doesn't resume from a hibernate. I hibernate, whether I do it in Start or with the power button is irrelevant. When I try to wake up, I see the standard boot up screen that I always see, the Windows logo with a loading icon underneath. But the loading icon is INCREDIBLY laggy, almost 0.7FPS at my estimate. The lights on the front show power on, and the charging light acts normally, but the light that displays HD activity stays off. Normally during a resume, that light is going crazy, signifying HD usage. Then, the computer shuts off, and restarts, deleting my hibernation state. It then reboots normally, but takes longer than usual (which is already a while) to get to the lock screen. So basically, I can't hibernate. Can anyone help me?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried turning off "windows 10 fast startup"? That messed up my laptop and issues were similar to you are describing.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Could be a driver problem (with the HD controller or chipset). When you power it up from a hibernated state, it might not be able to load the HD controller driver. The restart you're getting after that could be a BSOD which immediately restarts.

A few things you can try:

1) Turn off automatic restarts on BSOD. Right click on the Start button and choose System. Then Advanced system settings (on the left). Settings under Startup and Recovery. Uncheck "Automatically restart" under System failure. Now, if the system blue screens, it'll stay there and you can get the codes for research.

2) Check for driver updates from Acer's website. Pull up the 5560 and check drivers for Windows 10. Specifically the chipset and SATA (storage) controller, but it's best to apply all the latest Windows 10 drivers for your system.

3) If you still have problems after those two items, check the Event Log for clues as to what's happening. Right click on the Start button and choose Event Viewer. Go to Windows Logs (on the left), then check "System" and "Application" logs to see if you have any errors (red Xs) or Warnings.

Hopefully that helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb