How do you "Quiet" Cortana ?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Not sure if everyone does this but, I do. I leave Cortana to speak text messages all times. It's nice if I am driving or sitting at my desk with no one around with out having to change settings depending on where I am.

If I was in a meeting or something, on 8.1 I could hit the power button if Cortana started speaking. On Windows 10 Mobile, hitting the power button does nothing she keeps on speaking, to the point when I go into a meeting, I turn my volume all the way down, and sometimes forget to turn it back on...missing calls, texts, etc...

Is there a way like in 8.1 to QUIET Cortana ?

ak1520

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree with everyone saying use quiet hours. I think the quickest way would be to add "quiet hours" on your Quick Actions in "notifications and actions" in your system setting.

that way, walking in to a meeting?
1. Slide down for quick actions
2. press quiet hours button
3. ???
4. Profit? maybe?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everyone saying use quiet hours. I think the quickest way would be to add "quiet hours" on your Quick Actions in "notifications and actions" in your system setting.

that way, walking in to a meeting?
1. Slide down for quick actions
2. press quiet hours button
3. ???
4. Profit? maybe?

Why should I have to setup an extra quiet time for a meeting when I used to just hit a button ? That is DUMB... COMPLETLY DUMB.

I hope this is fixed in a later build...

MarkCSimpson

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You can also tell Cortana it to turn on Quiet during meetings that are on your calendar in the Quiet Hours settings. It works great for me.
Also, in Windows 10 Mobile... Extras>audio>enhancements>Flip to silence.

EricandSuebee

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The best thing I've always done is set Cortana to quiet your phone for all meetings that are on the calendar, what it will do is turn your phone silent for the entire duration of the meeting, once its over it'll automatically un-silent your phone and your back in business, very easy and no brainer, nothing you have to do extra once you set it up.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The best thing I've always done is set Cortana to quiet your phone for all meetings that are on the calendar, what it will do is turn your phone silent for the entire duration of the meeting, once its over it'll automatically un-silent your phone and your back in business, very easy and no brainer, nothing you have to do extra once you set it up.

Sure, I can do that but, it does not help when I am on the phone, or talking to co-workers about something. So putting a 8 hour meeting when I go to work is NOT a solution to this problem

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you have BT in the car? If so, setup messages to be only read aloud when connected to BT and/or headphones. It's a partial workaround.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you have BT in the car? If so, setup messages to be only read aloud when connected to BT and/or headphones. It's a partial workaround.

No BT in my car.

Has this issue been fixed in 10572 ? When Cortana speaks hit the power button to see if she quiets up ?

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

except this feature is gone in windows 10. So enjoy it while you can

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
except this feature is gone in windows 10. So enjoy it while you can

Yea, newest build of WIndows 10 phone, we still can't MUTE Cortana... So now I disabled her voice completely.

Dumb, great feature but, due to this one part, it's a worthless feature. So, on this aspect, Windows 10 mobile is a fail....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers