If you had to add a feature to W10M, what would it be?

Arsynic

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How about features that Windows 8.1 had such as Quiet Hours having access to the Calendar. I'd also like the ability to set alert tones for each account.

Why does MS have to start from scratch on everything it does lately? Why does the latest OS have less functionality than the previous? MS needs to provide a "Public" area of it's OS where apps can share information with one another. If Quiet Hours needs access to the Calendar, then the Calendar needs to publish it's "public" info so I can have my QH silence my phone automatically when I'm in a meeting.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Using the Iris scanner to authenticate everything. Once you scan your iris you shouldn't have to login to any of your apps or anything. It should also be used as a full wallet with all your credit cards/debits and supported at ALL stores. It should act as your passport, your drivers license and anything that links to you. Basically create the ultimate digital wallet that removes your need to have an actual wallet. Receipts should generate onto your phone after purchases etc.. Security should be paramount.
Microsoft is a huge company and has the assets to make such a thing happen. In Canada major banks all use tap right in their debit cards. Although there's no security on it so it's limited to 100 dollars transactions. Pin is required for more.

I think Iris scan + kinect technology to map out the eyeball veins and everything unique about you should be impossible to fake. Security mechanisms just in case you are being forced to scan your eye such as detection of fight or flight or a secret view pattern to disable the phone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Using the Iris scanner to authenticate everything. Once you scan your iris you shouldn't have to login to any of your apps or anything. It should also be used as a full wallet with all your credit cards/debits and supported at ALL stores. It should act as your passport, your drivers license and anything that links to you. Basically create the ultimate digital wallet that removes your need to have an actual wallet. Receipts should generate onto your phone after purchases etc.. Security should be paramount.
Microsoft is a huge company and has the assets to make such a thing happen. In Canada major banks all use tap right in their debit cards. Although there's no security on it so it's limited to 100 dollars transactions. Pin is required for more.

I think Iris scan + kinect technology to map out the eyeball veins and everything unique about you should be impossible to fake. Security mechanisms just in case you are being forced to scan your eye such as detection of fight or flight or a secret view pattern to disable the phone.

Iris scanners do not map the veins in the back of your eyes. That would be retina scanners, which are far more secure yet require you to be much closer and take more space. Iris scanners simply scan your iris. It's less secure but you don't have to be as close.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Anyways,
I want a full Messaging hub which would be placed to the left of the Start Screen. One swipe away from Messaging, Phone, and People. Not only would it be fully integrated into all of these applications, there would be full Skype integration into all three, so with a few taps you can move from Skype Messaging through Messaging to video calls on Phone to your contacts in People. Microsoft could work with developers of apps like WhatsApp to integrate them into this hub. There would be quick switches between all three so with a single tap you can jump to Phone then back to Messaging with a shortcut to People always right there. Manufacturers spend so much time making your smartphones 'smart' they forget the importance of the simple things like the 'phone' part of smartphone. I think this would be a great feature. Combing Skype Messaging Preview, Skype Video Preview, Phone, People, and any other messaging app that'll support it into one hub that's always a single swipe away.

On an off hand, I'd also love a more complete Action Center (aero transparency, better gestures, etc.) and interactive Live Tiles.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
one page settings menu

android can do that, why can't wm?

We had a one page settings menu before (actually 2 with the pivot) and people still got confused even though if you use it for a bit it's pretty easy to find things.

The settings page in W10M is a poorly done ripoff of Android. The settings menu in 8.1 update 2 would be a big improvement but sadly MS is more interested in conforming to what other companies are doing.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
We had a one page settings menu before (actually 2 with the pivot) and people still got confused even though if you use it for a bit it's pretty easy to find things.

The settings page in W10M is a poorly done ripoff of Android. The settings menu in 8.1 update 2 would be a big improvement but sadly MS is more interested in conforming to what other companies are doing.
I've been using Windows Phone for years and currently have a Windows Phone as a daily driver and another device running Windows 10 Mobile. From my firsthand experience, the Settings menu in Windows Phone 8.1 is just dreadful, even if you know where everything is. It's a huge list with no perceivable organization and it just looks cluttered. Windows 10 Mobile is much neater than Android even, as Android still has a long list with it's major "categories" really just being headers and nothing more. Windows 10 Mobile's Settings menu isn't perfect (the Extras menu still needs a lot of work, and there's plenty of places where placement, organization, and power could be improved...also I'd quite like universal application settings to be re-implemented as in Windows Phone 8.1) but it's much easier to find what you're looking for and it looks more colorful. Darker colors would be nice but we can't have everything.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
i'm sure i do, and we used to do it on the htc dream. remap the partition table to cache files elsewhere other than ram to create a swap space, or pagefile. sure it's not physical ram, but it helps with multitasking.

It would be more frustrating than useful if you were using a low end phone. Chances are the CPU wouldn't know what to do with extra RAM and I'm not sure there's any microSD card that's capable of providing decent performance, or decent life. RAM is built differently then flash or SSD or HDD or any other form of storage as it's not meant for storing anything for any length of time. "Random Access Memory." Trying to repurpose something built for storage for RAM purposes doesn't sound all that worthwhile when the performance 'boost' would be negligible and the life time of the microSD card would be heavily reduced.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Iris scanners do not map the veins in the back of your eyes. That would be retina scanners, which are far more secure yet require you to be much closer and take more space. Iris scanners simply scan your iris. It's less secure but you don't have to be as close.

I'm aware that's why I mentioned iris scanner + additional tech like kinect, etc. As there are ways to get around iris scanners although they are quite complex. I read a paper from 2002 though who knows how far the tech has gone.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm aware that's why I mentioned iris scanner + additional tech like kinect, etc. As there are ways to get around iris scanners although they are quite complex. I read a paper from 2002 though who knows how far the tech has gone.
There are ways to get around any security protocol. The goal is to have other security protocols to stop the workarounds of the first security protocols and etc.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
It would be more frustrating than useful if you were using a low end phone. Chances are the CPU wouldn't know what to do with extra RAM and I'm not sure there's any microSD card that's capable of providing decent performance, or decent life. RAM is built differently then flash or SSD or HDD or any other form of storage as it's not meant for storing anything for any length of time. "Random Access Memory." Trying to repurpose something built for storage for RAM purposes doesn't sound all that worthwhile when the performance 'boost' would be negligible and the life time of the microSD card would be heavily reduced.
again, we used to do it on htc dreams with old qualcom processors and sdcards. it worked fine.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
again, we used to do it on htc dreams with old qualcom processors and sdcards. it worked fine.

Our definitions of "fine" must be different, good sir, but I won't berate you. You're perfectly entitled to your own opinions and you're welcome to do whatever you wish with your own device(s). I just (in my opinion) do not believe it would be worthwhile.

Yokesh Yeolekar

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
i would like to have email system as good as blackberry.. no need to download mails to forward it as it is with attachments and also we can write the mails as EDIT AS NEW which is missing...

Orlando Parkinson

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Auto hide the task bar (the area at the top of the screen that shows signal bars, notifications and battery stats)

Like it once was on wp8

Last edited by a moderator:

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I'm fine with the status bar as it is. It auto hides in apps and in the browser anyways so I don't need more. Besides it's only meant for cursory glances and it'd be frustrating if it was always auto hiding like it did in Windows Phone 8. I understand the aesthetic appeal but I believe it's more useful as it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos