Un-highlighted title bars

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You know, the more I use W10 on my desktop machine the more I struggle with one, very simple thing: how difficult it is to see which is the active window.

This idea of not highlighting, or colouring, the title bar on the active window began with Office 2013, I think (correct me if I'm wrong). It puzzled me then and it still puzzles me now.

Build 10525 introduced the "Show colour on Start, taskbar and action centre" option which brings back the highlighting for old Win32 apps. But still all the Modern apps stay colourless when active - even when windowed - and so do all the current desktop Office 2013 programs.

What possible stylistic or ergonomic advantage is achieved by making the active windows so un-obvious? Obviously you don't need it with full screen apps, but for windowed apps or programs? Of course you do.

I've put this into the Feedback, but what do others think? Does anyone prefer it this way?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
that's why you see a colored border around the window, the shadow is softer and the buttons minimize, close and maximize buttons get gray.

I don't know how hard is to see that... I think it looks better, I think the app looks better if it has the same color not a random color that will change and change. that looks like windows 95. not really modern and pretty at all. it's easy to see what's active and what isn't. but I mean, just a colored border is easy to see. if you have problems seeing it put a stronger color like red or aqua or something easy to see.

I never understand this complaints because it's easy to see, but anyway if you want that ugly feature, Microsoft added it on insiders build so it must be there in next windows 10 update for normal users.

To me it looks pretty this way, and I don't think it's hard to see anything. it looks modern and nice. and if you don't pay attention to the small border around the window, well it's because you don't want to see it. simple as that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa