An iPhone user's (surprisingly positive) experience with Windows Phone

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
"However, if I had to choose, I’d pick Windows Phone over Android in a heartbeat. It’s attractive, easy to use, and in some ways—because of the customizable home screen with Live Tiles—provides more actionable information than iOS"

Its really not a tough decision. Must respect to the author.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Of -fricking- course WP is a better mobile OS than Android is!
No ****** talking, but this is the reality.
For me iOS and WP are like brothers from another mother, the one mother was stupidly rich and cared to much for her child (iOS) and the other was similarly rich but left her child alone to grow a beard on its own (WP)!
I really dig them both for different reasons, but they both are stars!

Yeah, we are 105% spoiled around the windows phone communities, we whine none stop, even for good thing happening on the platform!
I gave to my sister my old lumia 630 (which I felt that she will hate) and after 1+ months she is telling me how much she loves it!
And with all the craze of the WP news and all the whinning/negativity going around the community, I was like ''seriously? you like it?''

I think (and I don't want to be the a-hole here) that the worst enemy of WP/W10m are the countless whinning fanboys, and I mean fanboys, the one that are not satisfied by anything, the one that can write an OS overnight, the one that can design a phone that everybody would like, the one thinking that bought the holy given mobile device that can do anything, etc ..

So again, every single right minded person WILL like WP!
This is a fact!
Not love, but like!
Hell even on a 535 and he still enjoyed it!

We are spoiled around here :p

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
WP has something that just doesn't let you go. However features-wise it's behind even iOS, not to mention Android. I mean, that's obvious, but I see people forgeting that. Let's not even get started about the app situation.

mihnat

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, thanks for the perspective and a small dose of humility when we diss WP. Most of my friends would change I think if the app situation improved.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Decent and well written article, at the very least there is no thoughtless bashing here unlike some.
Also I find this rather telling :winktongue:.

I’d love to see a standard Back button or gesture on the iPhone.

I'm curious to read what Kirk McElhearn's thoughts are on the W10 phones when released.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
This made a few rounds when the article was originally published in April. But I am glad it is making the rounds again especially with the October event around the corner.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows phones need more promo and a way better marketing organization. Apple is damn good at promoting their products even though it's quite obvious that none of them were actual inventions in the first place. There's just too many fanboys stuck in the Apple world so switching to another platform is out of the question. If you ask them why, they'll say something like Nah, I'm an Apple person (this is what I was actually told). They don't care about the price or design, it doesn't matter - they just buy it. But if something bad happened and Apple went down I'm pretty sure if they had to choose between Android and Win Phone that they'd pick the latter one. No doubt about that.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
WP has something that just doesn't let you go. However features-wise it's behind even iOS, not to mention Android. I mean, that's obvious, but I see people forgeting that. Let's not even get started about the app situation.
Apps aside, I used the iPhone 3 weeks this past summer and I cant see anything that really had me going "Hmm, Windows Phones are so behind"

Especially since Apple is now adopting features of both Android and WP and marketing them as something new and magical(as is their usual M.O). I can sort of give you Android but after having to play Geek squad for my mom and her HTC, for all the 'features' Android has over WP, they are poorly implemented.....It's the equivalent of throwing a bunch of clothes into a suitcase and not seeing if anything matches or even fits. Just to say you have a bunch of clothes(features) to brag about.

The app situation aside, I mainly want snapchat and a few games. the app gap is a big or small or even nonexistent issue, depending on the person.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
No surprise at all. I started with iPhone then went to Windows Phone then to Android and now back on Windows Phone. WP is even better with an unlocked phone because carriers are sketchy when it comes to releasing updates the Microsoft makes available. With the carrier out of the equation as far as hardware goes WP is awesome!

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
The app situation aside, I mainly want snapchat and a few games. the app gap is a big or small or even nonexistent issue, depending on the person.

The app gap still exists. I've been always talked about how much better WP is over Android in front of my friends. However, the other day we went to a restaurant and they had a special offer which was "If you download our app, you will get a $20 off". Only Android and iOS could get the discount. And they looked at me like "where is your better phone now?". The gap exists when you look for an app and it's not there, even if you were going to use it once.
Apart from that, best SO. I've been thinking about switching to Android, but I'm really used to using WP. I like it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
They are very good at taking others ideas and making them work better, and end results really do matter.

I find this too. For example, take tap-to-pay. I've been using it on Android for 2 years plus, and Apple has had it for a much shorter time. They took it, and with the fingerprint reader, made it very user friendly.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Many people say the app gap is a major reason for the low market share of WP. I do not totally agree to this. iPhone/Android users are just "locked" in the two ecosystems and user interfaces. It is a matter of habit that stops them from switching.

If we let a group of children to choose among an iPhone, Android Phone and a WP, I am quite confident they will most probably pick iPhone or WP. And I am sure less children will choose iPhone if the Apple logo is removed. :p

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Many people say the app gap is a major reason for the low market share of WP. I do not totally agree to this. iPhone/Android users are just "locked" in the two ecosystems and user interfaces. It is a matter of habit that stops them from switching.

If we let a child to choose among an iPhone, Android Phone and a WP, I am quite confident they will most probably pick iPhone or WP.

The app gap is the problem. I sell phones off a living and the reason I see returns are usually because "the phone is nice but I can't snapchat or...."

My best friends think windows phone is great and they probably would use one except "if yall had more apps then I would give it a try...."

These are iPhone users.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
The app gap is the problem. I sell phones off a living and the reason I see returns are usually because "the phone is nice but I can't snapchat or...."

My best friends think windows phone is great and they probably would use one except "if yall had more apps then I would give it a try...."

These are iPhone users.

Agree that it is a problem. But it is just one of the problems. The other major problem is, as I mentioned, their habits. Many people cannot afford the time on learning a new mobile platform. For technical people, it takes weeks. For ordinary users, it takes months....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

From what I hear, this is at least part of the reason why carriers are hesitant to push WP. The return rate is too high. Not that the consumers don't like WP itself, but as you say, the lack of popular apps is a killer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs