Why is it showing that I have 6 GB of RAM but only 4 GB usable?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
SAkidichote, check it and put in your 6 gigs, but make sure after changing that the main page says "normal" for boot start up as it may change it to selective.

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to try out Q-Flash now and I'll see if the option to configure internal graphics, or memory will show up in the BIOS configuration, and if not, then I guess I'll be clean installing the OS pretty soon. As before I reset the PC, the RAM was actually available for use for the whole 6 GB. My thanks to everyone for your eager display of kind spirits!

Just out of curiosity, could you please post screenshots of your:

Windows Task Manager "Performance" tab when in "Memory" graphs

CPU-Z's Memory tab

CPU-Z's SPD tab (for each slot)

(CPU-Z is a well-known third part utility)
Also, how is your memory physically distributed (slots, sizes, etc...)

Best regards

Sakdichote Totiam

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I download the latest bios update from the manufacturer's site, I'm certain that I chose the correct model, which was A55M-DS2. I then extracted into a USB Flash drive, and restarted the PC to try Q-Flash in the BIOS, What I got was "BIOS ID check error." So that is no longer an option, at least for now.

Just out of curiosity, could you please post screenshots of your:

Windows Task Manager "Performance" tab when in "Memory" graphs

CPU-Z's Memory tab

CPU-Z's SPD tab (for each slot)
Okay, here.
cpuz.jpgtaskman.JPG

Sakdichote Totiam

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
So, from those screenshots, I take it I misremembered that I had 6 GB of RAM installed when actually it was 8 all along?wow this makes it even worse now that it should've displayed 8 GB, instead it displayed 6 GB, and to add salt to injury only 4 GB is available.

Now I truly think that it's finally the time I consider clean re-installing Windows. Do you guys agree? Yes, I'm asking. I'm hesitant.

alb3530

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
So, from those screenshots, I take it I misremembered that I had 6 GB of RAM installed when actually it was 8 all along—wow this makes it even worse now that it should've displayed 8 GB, instead it displayed 6 GB, and to add salt to injury only 4 GB is available.

Correct, CPU-Z is detecting your memory as 2 x 4GB modules, what should give you 8GB available.This indicates you have 2 physical 4GB modules installed.

Now I truly think that it's finally the time I consider clean re-installing Windows. Do you guys agree? Yes, I'm asking. I'm hesitant.

Simple test before reinstalling (what I think would NOT work): start the machine from installation media, and instead clicking on install windows, click "repair computer"

Then, "Troubleshoot" > "Advanced Options" > "Command Prompt"

Type:

taskmgr

and press enter.

It should open a "legacy" task manager (Windows 7-like), and you can find the available memory (in Mega Bytes) from there.

Capture.PNG

That is, if your BIOS can't show the installed RAM (what most BIOSes can do)

Have you tried typical troubleshooting steps to fix RAM issues, like exchanging memory modules between slots, test modules individually or cleaning contacts?

Best regards

Sakdichote Totiam

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Simple test before reinstalling (what I think would NOT work): start the machine from installation media, and instead clicking on install windows, click "repair computer"

I, too, do not think that this will work ?you know, it's not like I messed around the system files so to restore, but for your peace of mind, I am willing to try.

Have you tried typical troubleshooting steps to fix RAM issues, like exchanging memory modules between slots, test modules individually or cleaning contacts?
I'll try switching, and I'll also try a rubber, before the above method, of course.

Daniel Gilbert M

Mar 5, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried changing memory configuration settings in advanced chipset features in BIOS ? ..
I think you need to have bank interleaving and channel interleaving enabled.
And there is one more option called DCT mode which needs to be set in ganged mode or unganged mode (try booting up with both).

Sakdichote Totiam

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried changing memory configuration settings in advanced chipset features in BIOS ? ..
I think you need to have bank interleaving and channel interleaving enabled.
And there is one more option called DCT mode which needs to be set in ganged mode or unganged mode (try booting up with both).
There's no options for memory configuration in my BIOS menu.

Sakdichote Totiam

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Oddly enough, after everything I didn't think this simple fixation would actually fix it. I didn't even have to try the 'restore' method. It seems that I overlooked this easy step thinking it wouldn't change a thing—for that, I am sorry.
Here are the pictures to confirm the successful fixation.
ramafter.JPG
sysinfoafter.jpg

Thank you everyone!!!
—PROBLEM SOLVED—

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos