What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
But it is pretty much the same with Windows, you can have multiple devices backup-ed to your one drive and multiple backups of the same device and you can easily manage them from your windows account so I see no problems here...

They only thing you need to do is to reinstall apps, all other things works just fine? At least it is the case with my 930, as a matter of fact there is a problem with latest TP build, I lost all of my custom ringtones, but it is quite respectable when you are using not fully backed software...

Its not the same. For WP to restore, you must have WiFi or data access. You can not have local back up and restore feature. Everything is stored on cloud in your account and every device fetches that data while restoring. Nokia had it on all their devices, don't know why MS is taking out all the good Nokia had.

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I can't, even though I have 100GB free on OneDrive, every device backup overwrites (or hides?) the prior backup. Are you saying that you can access older phone backups (how many?), and choose to restore from the older one? .
How to manage Windows 10 devices from your Microsoft account | Windows Central

it shows that the process is not quite painless just yet.
It is not perfect I have to admit, especially not on W10M but it is not fully backed product so it is kind expectable but overall I'm pretty satisfied with backup/restore process and options...

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I thought this thread was not about apps?? I thought it started as a base OS thread.

App corner, and kids corner IS a feature, that Windows has, and IOS doesn't.

I switched from a long line of Windows Mobile > Windows Phone > WM10 beta builds to iOS as of last week. Here is what iOS has that WM totally does not:
- Family sharing: I buy an app, my family can install it for free. Share location between family members. Allow me to approve my son's app downloads / any purchases
If I bing/google on "microsoft family" I see something similar.....

- Restrictions in phone, of various kinds.
Yes, IOS is a restricted OS.... :)

- iMessage - free texting between any two people with iPhones
Can be done with skype / Whatsapp / and some others, PLATFORM independant.... sorry, but iMessage is iPhone only....

- Yeah, no matter what it is - there is an app for that
Yep, it is even up to an idiotic level, if you ask me. I don't need an app to remind me to breeth / go to the toilet or what ever.... :)

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Kids corner and apps corner are not atall same as app locker.
Kids corner locks the phone and keeps selected apps accesible. It clearly displays 'kids corner' on the screen so even kids can make out most of the phone is locked. Also you need to first launch the kids corner to hand it over to kids.
App corner is similar feature, but I dont know the details as it never launched on my phone...just 5 dots keep running on the screen for long time and then nothing. Even then I think its mostly similar to kids corner where you need to lauch it first before giving the phone. Anyone will know that its in different mode as homescreen is different.
App locker on android is best. It just locks the selected areas and keeps phone as if its in default, natural state. It doesnt change anything in UI, doesnt need to be 'launched' everytime, doesnt make person know that phone is in special mode. Only when the person tries to access the locked areas, pin request is shown.
Kids/app corner constantly shows the phone is set differently.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
So in order for yourself to use all your own apps, you need to enter a pin code, every time you use them?

No, kids corner does not have to be launched (only once to set it up), you can give your locked phone to your kid (or anybody else), and instead of swiping up the home screen, for entering you pin, the have to swipe it to the left, and get only those apps, games, music, videos, you have selected to be used there.

Sorry, I still believe this is way better then it is on android, and it doesn't exist on IOS (last time I checked)....

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Not for every app. Just the locked ones. Even kids corner and app corner needs pin everytime you unlock phone similar to app locker which needs password to open app. And by launching I meant the same, you need to activate it by swiping to left everytime before handing the phone or else phone is completely locked out. With app corner except for the locked apps or settings, everything is accessible. Any way. I liked app locker as i can safely keep my phone unattended and my family members can still use it except for the things i dont want them to.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
CarPlay, airplay, AirDrop, iMessage, FaceTime. Juist to name some

Carplay, doesn't work in my car....
Airplay => Miracast
airdrop => NFC
iMessage => Skype
FaceTime => Skype

So, yes this functionality is there, and even better, because it is platform independent, where apple wants to "earn" you......

Your turn.

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Nor is skype a replacement for message..

We are talking W10 mobile here right?
Skype is even better then iMessage, because it is platform independent, iMessage isn't.....

But you know, I really don't care, because yes apple have great stuff, which really works very well, but only if you go all apple...... and it comes with a price, which I'm not willing to spend.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Even though this feels a bit silly as it seems like your goal is to prove everyone else wrong no matter what, I'll bite:

If I bing/google on "microsoft family" I see something similar.....
Nope. There is nothing that allows me to buy an app and install it on my son's or wife's phone. In Windows 8/8.1/10 on the desktop you can sort of accomplish this by logging out of the store and logging in using your MSA, installing the app, logging out of the store and logging back in as them but even that is horrible because guess what - in W10, now your MSA is saved on the machine as one of the account the person uses. So you also have to go delete that, unless I am to leave that around and risk someone signing into the store with my MSA and buying stuff... In short - too much work, and it does not work on phone.

Yes, IOS is a restricted OS.... :)
Yeah well - Windows Phone is also restricted, in some respects much more than iOS. Ask developers who has richer APIs? Richness of apps and ability of devs to interact with low level phone functionality speak for themselves.

Can be done with skype / Whatsapp / and some others, PLATFORM independant.... sorry, but iMessage is iPhone only....
Yes, sure... providing you can get all people you know to install one of those because - well, most don't. Skype especially (WhatsApp is a bit more common). IN short - theoretically this can be done, yes but practically it does not work well.

Yep, it is even up to an idiotic level, if you ask me. I don't need an app to remind me to breeth / go to the toilet or what ever.... :)
Not sure if serious. How about banking apps? Local mountain biking status app? Scores for my daughter's swim team meets app? How about Costco app so I can have coupons in my phone? What about TripIt app (that does not suck, like WP one does)? Sudden availability of all the apps (even the ones that tell you to go o the bathroom , that's your thing) is empowering. You should try it sometime. :)

M7H

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Even though this feels a bit silly as it seems like your goal is to prove everyone else wrong no matter what, I'll bite:

I only have a different view, and find other things more important then you.

Yes, sure... providing you can get all people you know to install one of those because - well, most don't. Skype especially (WhatsApp is a bit more common). IN short - theoretically this can be done, yes but practically it does not work well.

Skype is integrated in W10, and iMessage you can not even install if you are not on IOS....

Not sure if serious. How about banking apps?

Both my banks have apps on W10 (I live in Europe, the Netherlands to be exact)

Local mountain biking status app?

Mountains?

But, wait, you are trying to go into discussing apps, that's not what this thread is for.....

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Whether something is in a closed ecosystem or not doesn't change if something is still a far better experience.

I just want something that works great and provides and experience. It doesn't make me happy to say but apple and google really do pull off better experiences on many of the above.

The bar has been set high and some of Microsoft's offerings are short of many peoples expectations.

Last edited:

afripino

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
A feature iOS has that W10 doesn't....?
It's out already...while we're here waiting and bickering amongst ourselves about what might happen and speculating on when we might get a newer alpha/beta/whatever build.

All snark aside, iOS has 3D touch (it's not just a glorified long press or right click), date/time based app and contact suggestions, 3rd party keyboard capability, perspective wallpapers, detailed battery usage stats on individual apps (how much time on screen, how much time in the background, % battery used), web links that open in apps (Open in Youtube, Open in Pinterest, etc.), universal search

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I have noticed iOS software updates seem to go a whole lot faster, taking 10-15 minutes rather than "15" minutes. (for minor stuff)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Carplay, doesn't work in my car....
Airplay => Miracast
airdrop => NFC
iMessage => Skype
FaceTime => Skype

So, yes this functionality is there, and even better, because it is platform independent, where apple wants to "earn" you......

Your turn.
sorry but facetime and imessage are way better than skype...at least test before talking. even facebook messenger with audio or video call is bettr than skype...oh wait, you don't have this functionality on the WP version of Messenger

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
sorry but facetime and imessage are way better than skype...at least test before talking. even facebook messenger with audio or video call is bettr than skype...oh wait, you don't have this functionality on the WP version of Messenger

FaceTime and iMessage are exclusive to Apple devices. That's hardly a legit comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte