What features does iOS have that W10M doesn't?

rajthampi

May 4, 2014
Visit site
re:

These are available in Windows 10. Now its up to developers to enable them

@colinkiama
Let's see. I'm doing beta testing for #Zoiper, the 2nd SIP client available over windows phone from the early days. Recently I asked them about the possibilities of Socket broker API to keep the connections alive, and so far their responses were negative, implying multiple reasons against which they can't totally depend upon Socket broker itself for keeping the sockets open in the background.

regards,

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
re:

So you have enabled internet sharing (hotspot) on the phone all the time. Right? No you don't do this.

Internet sharing turned itself off after several minutes of inactivity. Its when the devices are connected via Bluetooth. When connected, the computer can tell the phone "yo turn on internet sharing and get me online!"

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
re:

I wonder what could we achieve with such discussions, people favoring iOS vs favoring wp, I couldn't live happily with an iPhone, I cant even connect the damn thing to my pc and move files around, having a w10 laptop and phone they feel like accessories to my desktop pc, they all do and feel the same, trying that with macs and iphones and it felt like every thing was a different world, just like back in 2007 when I had a sony PSP, n95 and windows pc

but yet again it doesn't matter, there's people who will have a completely oposite experience, where windows crashes every hour while I haven't seen a bluescreen since vista, it can be the hardware's fault, the internet fault, whatever, people will side with whatever worked for them so far, there's not much science behind that

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

WP8 was not just a mere cosmetic update, they changed the kernel from Windows CE to Windows NT, the same that is used in the desktop Windows 8/8.1/10. That was the reason, why WP7 devices couldn't upgrade to WP8

1. If you can run insider preview, you already have windows 10
2. Microsoft are working towards that with W10M
6. The latest build of W10 can do that

I was talking about WP 7.8. They kinda abruptly stopped supporting WP7 users. They even released a flagship just months before their announcement of WP8 (announcement not the actual release)

"If you can run windows preview" exactly my point #no love for non lumias

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
re:

I had to think long before deciding to reply but I am going to do it since this post shows how lack of knowledge of something leads to the wrong conclusions. I will use the same numbering to share my view on each point.

I will share in advance that I have a Lumia 930 as my day-to-day personal phone and an iPhone 4S provided by my company.

1. The is nothing consistent about an iPhone 4S with iOS 9... the only iOS 9 things that I got are a new Wallet icon, a new Siri view and the battery saver. I would rather have stayed with iOS 7 but since iOS 8 had already killed it I hope the latest and greatest from Apple would improve on its poor battery life a bit. And that is while only using it for email synchronization.

2. This is a thing only if you buy the phone from the carrier so I don't care. Anyway, I think it was mentioned that Microsoft will be moving to this model with W10M.

3. Never faced this issue on WP8.1 nor while using the W10M Insider Preview but perhaps is device specific.

4. Same on this one. I have W10 on 4 machines and never had an issue with missing notifications.

5. If you think apps don't crash is because you haven't used iOS 8 or 9 on an iPhone 4S. Also, if you have little memory left apps will crash. I have an iPad Air with 16GB and Mortal Kombat X crashes 30% of the times I try to resume it. I do agree though even Microsoft need to work on their apps to make them more reliable on Windows 10.

6. This is coming in W10M and I already had the opportunity to reply to an SMS from the notification. Do note that this feature needs to be included in the app to work even though the OS supports it.

7. Key point - f your provider supports it.

8. This is the same as it was with Skype in WP 7.5 and it will be coming back in W10M. The only difference is that this will work with any user who has Skype as opposed to iMessage which works only with iOS.

9. That sophisticated way is called Bluetooth. As for the features you mention.. I was able to reply to SMS using Nokia Suite even before the iPhone existed. Microsoft will be bringing the feature to Windows 10. Continuity already works across Office 2013 and 2016 with my recent files history synched and all files available s long as they are saved in OneDrive. And the feature is available to developers as an API.

10. I would rather have 3 gestures and long press than having to memorize the yellow pages of gestures that Apple has. And who uses 4 fingers to go back to the home screen when you just need to press the home button??? In W10 if you slide from the left you see all your open apps and now available in iOS 9 through hard press + slide from the left.

11. Have you heard of "Play to" in Windows 7? And if you think that DLNA has limited support then I think there is nothing to keep talking about. And I don't really see what's flexible about you need to buy Apple TV to do something that others do for free.

12. Actually to change the Store country you just need to go to the Settings, change the country and restart the phone. For example TripIt and TripAdvisor aps are not available in Bulgaria so I just change the country to UK, install them and then switch back.

13. Family sharing is a good thing and I do hope Microsoft get it as well. Although I use only free apps so see no need for it.

14. Same as 13 so not sure why you repeated it.

15. That's a nice to have and it depends on vendor support. WP8.1 has 3rd party apps for some devices although I don't have such so I can't really comment.

16. OK.

17. Haven't seen much difference so I guess it is personal experience.

And finally to make the point on the pricing... please let me know when you are able to get a 200 EUR iPhone that will be supported for 4 years. I would buy several! :smile:

Never faced an issue with WM10?? come on man be realistic:winktongue:

vgian

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
re:

Internet sharing turned itself off after several minutes of inactivity. Its when the devices are connected via Bluetooth. When connected, the computer can tell the phone "yo turn on internet sharing and get me online!"

This!!! (Remember: Devices paired and Bluetooth on).

TheNet Avenger

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
re:

This entire thread is full of more ‘guessing’ than actual information.

In a long thread like this, it is amazing at the amount of incorrect and uninformed information that is offered. It also illustrates the lack of understanding most users have of the devices they purport to be using.

For example, a WP8 feature from 2012, the ability to turn on Internet Sharing from your PC is not only overlooked by the majority of the posts, it is flat out rejected as incorrect by posters. I can understand maybe not realizing this feature exists (as the WPCentral article on Bluetooth recently never mention that this is an essential feature and why you should pair your phone to your tablets/PCs). However, once it is revealed, why was it rejected instead of simply looking up the information for accuracy?

This is something that was blogged about and is clearly in the Windows Phone online instructions as well, making it something you can Bing/Google to see that it exists and predates similar features introduced in iOS and Android, which are not even as elegant or secure.
Go to the Share-my-connection page on the WindowsPhone website…
Read down to the part about if you pair your phone with your PC/Notebook/Tablet, and are using Windows 8 or 10, you can initiate the connection from your computer, automatically, and it will shut itself off automatically. Simple.

Another problem is posts that throw out a list of features like ‘secure or locking email/contacts/photos’. Yet they do not realize that this type of locking is NOT necessary on WP8 or WM10, as this abstraction to data is offered via both Kids Mode and Apps Corner. Which are secondary user accounts, that allow you to protect your data selectively and give friends and even your kids a way to use your phone without ever gaining access to your data. Yet, ignorantly, WP/WM is maligned because it doesn’t implement the locking in the same way Android and iOS does, even though it does it better and with more security at it is using NT’s account security and presenting an additional secured account.

I thought about responding to several of the posts. It would take days just to fix all incorrect references and hyperbole. There tons of references to missing features in WP7 or missing features in WP8 or missing features in the older SDKs or missing API or low level access in WP7 or WP8. The majority of all the talk regarding OS limitations with programming is NOW irrelevant with WM10. (The user talking about background IRC connections and talking to their control/framework provider about sockets has been lied to, as this is NO LONGER a limitation in WM10, whatsoever.)

Even the discussions on 3D graphics is laughable, as there are ZERO games that use the newer DX11 or DX12 APIs, which is coming to WM10. The examples of games and comparisons are funny, as some of the posts list games that were SCALED BACK on WP8 to meet the feature disparity of OpenGL ES as iOS is using hardware that is limited to DX9 functionality and it version of OpenGL ES doesn’t even fully support all the DX9 features, which is crazy as that framework was from 2003 and iOS has yet to catch up. (Even WM 6.x and ZuneHD had more robust graphics support than iOS.)

With regard to the OP and this thread… There are a lot of OS features that WM10 offers that iOS does not offer and is unable to offer due to core limitations in the iOS model and the stub APIs that only approximate counterpart APIs on OSX. In other words, iOS cannot run as complex software as WM10, as it is a very limited subset of OS X that only mimics many of the kernel level APIs but implements them in a way that is far less robust or efficient.

This is where the advantages of using the full NT kernel and the full NT layers for DX12 in WM10 are massive advantages over iOS and Android, as they are still mobile OSes with crippled kernels and cannot compete in core OS features to WM10.

The main answer to the OP is this…
There are virtually zero OS level features that iOS offers that WM10 does not.

PS Even ‘force’ aka pressure sensitivity is built into WP8 and WM10, and handwriting along with other input technologies from Windows 10 are available. (It would have been in WP7, but no OEM would make the more expensive capacitive controllers like Microsoft used on the ZuneHD which did pressure sensitivity on a capacitive screen FIRST. (Sorry Apple fans, this is old technology Apple is recycling.)

Last edited by a moderator:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
re:

This entire thread is full of more ?guessing? than actual information.

In a long thread like this, it is amazing at the amount of incorrect and uninformed information that is offered. It also illustrates the lack of understanding most users have of the devices they purport to be using.

For example, a WP8 feature from 2012, the ability to turn on Internet Sharing from your PC is not only overlooked by the majority of the posts, it is flat out rejected as incorrect by posters. I can understand maybe not realizing this feature exists (as the WPCentral article on Bluetooth recently never mention that this is an essential feature and why you should pair your phone to your tablets/PCs). However, once it is revealed, why was it rejected instead of simply looking up the information for accuracy?

This is something that was blogged about and is clearly in the Windows Phone online instructions as well, making it something you can Bing/Google to see that it exists and predates similar features introduced in iOS and Android, which are not even as elegant or secure.
Go to the Share-my-connection page on the WindowsPhone website?
Read down to the part about if you pair your phone with your PC/Notebook/Tablet, and are using Windows 8 or 10, you can initiate the connection from your computer, automatically, and it will shut itself off automatically. Simple.

Another problem is posts that throw out a list of features like ?secure or locking email/contacts/photos?. Yet they do not realize that this type of locking is NOT necessary on WP8 or WM10, as this abstraction to data is offered via both Kids Mode and Apps Corner. Which are secondary user accounts, that allow you to protect your data selectively and give friends and even your kids a way to use your phone without ever gaining access to your data. Yet, ignorantly, WP/WM is maligned because it doesn?t implement the locking in the same way Android and iOS does, even though it does it better and with more security at it is using NT?s account security and presenting an additional secured account.

I thought about responding to several of the posts. It would take days just to fix all incorrect references and hyperbole. There tons of references to missing features in WP7 or missing features in WP8 or missing features in the older SDKs or missing API or low level access in WP7 or WP8. The majority of all the talk regarding OS limitations with programming is NOW irrelevant with WM10. (The user talking about background IRC connections and talking to their control/framework provider about sockets has been lied to, as this is NO LONGER a limitation in WM10, whatsoever.)

Even the discussions on 3D graphics is laughable, as there are ZERO games that use the newer DX11 or DX12 APIs, which is coming to WM10. The examples of games and comparisons are funny, as some of the posts list games that were SCALED BACK on WP8 to meet the feature disparity of OpenGL ES as iOS is using hardware that is limited to DX9 functionality and it version of OpenGL ES doesn?t even fully support all the DX9 features, which is crazy as that framework was from 2003 and iOS has yet to catch up. (Even WM 6.x and ZuneHD had more robust graphics support than iOS.)

With regard to the OP and this thread? There are a lot of OS features that WM10 offers that iOS does not offer and is unable to offer due to core limitations in the iOS model and the stub APIs that only approximate counterpart APIs on OSX. In other words, iOS cannot run as complex software as WM10, as it is a very limited subset of OS X that only mimics many of the kernel level APIs but implements them in a way that is far less robust or efficient.

This is where the advantages of using the full NT kernel and the full NT layers for DX12 in WM10 are massive advantages over iOS and Android, as they are still mobile OSes with crippled kernels and cannot compete in core OS features to WM10.

The main answer to the OP is this?

PS Even ?force? aka pressure sensitivity is built into WP8 and WM10, and handwriting along with other input technologies from Windows 10 are available. (It would have been in WP7, but no OEM would make the more expensive capacitive controllers like Microsoft used on the ZuneHD which did pressure sensitivity on a capacitive screen FIRST. (Sorry Apple fans, this is old technology Apple is recycling.)

Apple did it better so they win

Jarek Tabor1

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

IOS is aligned with created apps, or maybe - opposite. What makes them simply run smooth and effective. Enough to run the same app on iPhone 5s and far better with specs Lumia 1520 and see how app is executed. I like animations, but I like more effect. This slooooow execution of apps makes me question efficacy of the system. One thing is lack of local apps - I can wait. Another - poor performance.
I own Surface 3 Pro, Lumia 1520 and iPhone 5s as work phone. It is true pain to see how WM architecture is not aligned to specs neither apps. No, I am not IOS ******.
Another aspect - some of features, like quiet hours are implemented as part of Cortana. So, living in Sweden, I need to set region to US or UK to be able to use those features. The same time, I loose ability to make purchases in MS store, as payment is aligned to region. Before every purchase I have to change region to Sweden to be able to buy any app in store.
Lack of consolidated payment within app and use of the same card as in MS store. IOS has it. One can easily make in-ap purchases without continuous input of credit card details upon purchases.
IOS has very effective iTunes as desktop manager of resources. Music, photos, apps etc. WM had lost it. or rather - never had it in practice. Zune had pretended to be. I know it is another aspect - desktop programs. It is not system feature. But - at IOS those matters are so connected together. And I miss proper, effective, instinctive program to manage music resources, integrated store with such content as I will not miss iTunes (which after 3 years, I do, every day), manage my storage easy way, without using several other programs or manipulations on the phone.
WM misses integration in simple words. I look forward for W10. But - looking at desktop, I cannot hope solving everything above. I rather may expect slowdown on Lumia 1520 - which is so far still best in specs phone. I cannot see how Groove can evolve. it is lousy attempt to Spotify and Apple Music.
I wish best to W10 and MS and I still have hopes. I cannot tell how long.

Last edited:

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Another problem is posts that throw out a list of features like ‘secure or locking email/contacts/photos’. Yet they do not realize that this type of locking is NOT necessary on WP8 or WM10, as this abstraction to data is offered via both Kids Mode and Apps Corner. Which are secondary user accounts, that allow you to protect your data selectively and give friends and even your kids a way to use your phone without ever gaining access to your data. Yet, ignorantly, WP/WM is maligned because it doesn’t implement the locking in the same way Android and iOS does, even though it does it better and with more security at it is using NT’s account security and presenting an additional secured account.
PS Even ‘force’ aka pressure sensitivity is built into WP8 and WM10, and handwriting along with other input technologies from Windows 10 are available. (It would have been in WP7, but no OEM would make the more expensive capacitive controllers like Microsoft used on the ZuneHD which did pressure sensitivity on a capacitive screen FIRST. (Sorry Apple fans, this is old technology Apple is recycling.)
Kids corner doesnt work the way where just few things can be locked and need password to open. Its never displayed to others that they are given the phone in some "special mode". Don't know whats app corner is or is same as kids corner.
If pressure thing was there why even high end lumias and WP7 do not have handwriting which are developed by Nokia or MS? Why wait or blame others? Even today how many note taking apps are there for wp8 that support handwriting as good as in android? If no then why MS did not develop one for their own devices? I am using handwriting on my touch enabled laptop (with win10 pro) and its even worst than win8.1. I surely do not hope it to be any better on phone's win 10 as its the same OS as highlighted.
You did not mention other stuffs like crappy IE (now edge), action centre glitches etc.

Tony Xiang

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

I had to think long before deciding to reply but I am going to do it since this post shows how lack of knowledge of something leads to the wrong conclusions. I will use the same numbering to share my view on each point.

12. Actually to change the Store country you just need to go to the Settings, change the country and restart the phone. For example TripIt and TripAdvisor aps are not available in Bulgaria so I just change the country to UK, install them and then switch back.
I would like to comment on 12, the silly language/region lock-in of MS. It's more silly than you think.

The basic assumption of MS is: the official language of the region where you live, the display language, the date/time format language, and the Cortana language should be the same! This is just a silly assumption in a globalized society. There are too many people who live in a country but mainly speak another language. I can name some silly examples:

1. In WP if you set your display language to English, but phone region to Germany. The Cortana will be disabled. That means, if you live in Germany, you cannot ask Cortana in English to help you with localized German service. You have to speak German to Cortana to ask her questions about the information in Germany.

2. In Xbox One, it's not possible to set the display and voice command language (for home interface and game) to English, and set Xbox One region to Germany. In other words, if you live in Germany and want to buy online Xbox One games using German credit card and billing address, you have to be able to read German. When you set the language to English, your region is locked in UK or US, and you cannot have a German billing address.

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Yes, indeed. But did spend as much of a time to think about your reply so here it goes.

I will share in advance that I have a Lumia 930 as my day-to-day personal phone and an iPhone 4S provided by my company.

Good. It's a very nice phone. Now that I can buy it for 230 euros on Amazon.de ($257) I've been thinking about buying getting one. Unfortunately it came ou at 600 euros last year or so with tax ($670).

1. The is nothing consistent about an iPhone 4S with iOS 9... the only iOS 9 things that I got are a new Wallet icon, a new Siri view and the battery saver. I would rather have stayed with iOS 7 but since iOS 8 had already killed it I hope the latest and greatest from Apple would improve on its poor battery life a bit. And that is while only using it for email synchronization.

Don't understand what is not consistent in iPhone 4S. iPhone 4S was launched 4 years ago. I don't think it has killed it, but definitely its an old phone for today's standards. Apart from your list you can add new task switcher, improved notification system and so on and so on.

2. This is a thing only if you buy the phone from the carrier so I don't care. Anyway, I think it was mentioned that Microsoft will be moving to this model with W10M.

Don't understand why you caring carrier independence in terms of updates this ability in iOS. Especially when you seam to be glad that Windows 10 will get rid of this consumer unfriendly practice. Most people buy their phones from the carriers.

3. Never faced this issue on WP8.1 nor while using the W10M Insider Preview but perhaps is device specific.

Don't face this issue on WP 8.1 but do face it on W10 even in the desktop.

4. Same on this one. I have W10 on 4 machines and never had an issue with missing notifications.

It's understandable. If you aren't notified there is nothing to miss really :)

5. If you think apps don't crash is because you haven't used iOS 8 or 9 on an iPhone 4S. Also, if you have little memory left apps will crash. I have an iPad Air with 16GB and Mortal Kombat X crashes 30% of the times I try to resume it. I do agree though even Microsoft need to work on their apps to make them more reliable on Windows 10.

I dont think that apps don't crash on iOS. They do. That is not what I wrote in comparison. Read it again. But I'll add one more point. One thing that does not do however even in iPhone 4S, at least I have not seen it yet, is complete system reboot for no reason. That happens to me almost every week with my Lumia 620. I put up with it because it cost me 200 euros approximately when I bought it 6 months ago.

6. This is coming in W10M and I already had the opportunity to reply to an SMS from the notification. Do note that this feature needs to be included in the app to work even though the OS supports it.

Yes. That is a good thing.

7. Key point - f your provider supports it.

No. The key point is that the OS supports it in this conversation.

8. This is the same as it was with Skype in WP 7.5 and it will be coming back in W10M. The only difference is that this will work with any user who has Skype as opposed to iMessage which works only with iOS.

Yes. I'm glad is coming back! Don't know why W8.1 abandoned the support fot his kind of experience with Skype. But is it really coming back, I guess we have to wait and see. Having said this: I have skype configured on my SP3, Windows Phone, iPad and XBOX One. Call ring is not consistent. It is suppose to call on all devices that are connected, but somehow it only rings on some. Sometimes it rings on my XBOX One but not my SP3 and vice versa. Worst, when I answer the call quite often is keeps on ringing on other devices, sometimes for over 30 seconds (once went for so long that I actually switched off XBOX One). I understand this might be a bug, but it has been going on for over 2 years, so I guess it is how the thing works.

9. That sophisticated way is called Bluetooth. As for the features you mention.. I was able to reply to SMS using Nokia Suite even before the iPhone existed. Microsoft will be bringing the feature to Windows 10. Continuity already works across Office 2013 and 2016 with my recent files history synched and all files available s long as they are saved in OneDrive. And the feature is available to developers as an API.

No. Bluetooth is a communication protocol. What I mentioned is what the iOS does over that protocol, along with others. I cannot start and receiver phone calls on my PC paired to a Windows Phone. Period. Neither I can do all the other things I mentioned without being connected with the Internet hence no Cloud. Has for Nokia Suite supporting sending and receiving SMS from the PC ... it really badly implemented^:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMg8TD99Rx4

10. I would rather have 3 gestures and long press than having to memorize the yellow pages of gestures that Apple has. And who uses 4 fingers to go back to the home screen when you just need to press the home button??? In W10 if you slide from the left you see all your open apps and now available in iOS 9 through hard press + slide from the left.

Yes. iOS is a system for goofy people. Really hard to use. Common, are we going now to count clicks as MS is doing in their commercial? But I tell you Apple opted for this solution. The idea is to leave those gestures for apps. You see, to hide left or write action bars without needing to click on the hamburger button.

11. Have you heard of "Play to" in Windows 7? And if you think that DLNA has limited support then I think there is nothing to keep talking about. And I don't really see what's flexible about you need to buy Apple TV to do something that others do for free.

Yes and I use it. But it seams to me that you have never heard of Airplay. Since you have an iPhone 4S I suggest you to buy an Apple TV and try it out. For instance, start Netflix on your phone and project the show to the TV via Airplay. What about projecting games? Say you are on the phone or ipad watching a Windows Central video on their site using the browser and you want to project that video to the TV. You can also do with audio, say Spotify an son. Last time I checked Play to only supported content stored on your phone.

Is that on WP 10 or WP 8.1? Because in WP 8.1 I'm pretty sure you cannot. Is that one of the things is coming to Windows 10 for Phones. Windows 10 on the PC I can do that.

13. Family sharing is a good thing and I do hope Microsoft get it as well. Although I use only free apps so see no need for it.

Yes so do I. But MS has not told anything about it. Futhermore it would be a feature most welcome on XBOX One, but somehow MS has a difficulty understand the concept of family (sarcasm)

14. Same as 13 so not sure why you repeated it.

No. It is not the same. You could always do 13 with iOS since an app store exists!

15. That's a nice to have and it depends on vendor support. WP8.1 has 3rd party apps for some devices although I don't have such so I can't really comment.

It works great and there is plenty of support from multiple vendors. More are being added every month.

Ok.

17. Haven't seen much difference so I guess it is personal experience.

It easy to find. On your iPad Air go for instance to https://www.flickr.com/explore. Press with your finger the menu option "Explore". Notice how the submenu appears and stays there until you select other option. Try to do that with your Lumia 930. If you have a touch enabled Windows 10 laptop, try to that there too. What happens is that the submenu appears and disappears right when you rise your finger making it impossible to select sub-menu options.

And finally to make the point on the pricing... please let me know when you are able to get a 200 EUR iPhone that will be supported for 4 years. I would buy several! :smile:

Where can I buy a Windows Phone in 2011 (the year iPhone 4S was launched) that is being updated to Windows 10?

Look. I think I was pretty honest in my points. That are lots of things I don't know and I'm not afraid to ask, with my 30 years in IT I think my knowldge is way a above average. So your arrogance trying to explain to me that the "magical thing is Bluetooth" I can only attribute that to the time you have spent thinking about the reply.,

I'm not also defending iOS, but it does bug me that I find so many, so many Windows users as I am one, yet such misguided way of oberving tech. I honestly believe that their aren't doing a service to MS or to tech in general.
This is what you could do with your iPad Air and a Mac (if you had one).

This is Continuity if you don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDIoFOF8BWg

For Airplay. Ir works on your iPhone 4S launched 4 years ago. Notice how the guy projects videos running on Safari. Just an example since you can project almost anything from any app, audio or video. Go on and by an Apple TV so you can understand the difference between Play To / DLNA and Airplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kjBIced_30

Cheers,

Nuno

EDIT: Corrected some misspellings. I apologies for the inconvenience. All I have to say in my defense is that I'm not an native English speaker.

Last edited:

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Hi. First I would like to say that I'm not a fan of any brand in such negative terms. I'm a fan of well implemented tech in general from whoever. This thread is interesting as it allows Windows user, at least some, to understand in part why iOS is so successful at multiple levels. Moving forword from conclusion such as "people that like iDevices don't know jack about tech or are misinformed. I fact I seldom find more misinformation in Windows community that otherwise amongst tech heavy users.. But hey, I buy Windows Phones too.

Just to give you an example following your lead here. I know that once your Windows Phone is paired with Windows it can activate Internet Sharing upon activation. The problem is that when you disconnect the Internet Sharing on the phone keeps on. As you well know, if Internet Sharing is enabled, Wifi on the phone is disabled. This means that the user need to remember to activate Wifi again. It happen to me forgetting about doing it and using 4G and 3G for data connection while I am at home with the phone.

Furthermore, it happens often that even though the phone is paired, right on the side of the SP3, is not connected, so it does not appear in the wireless connections panel.

So I stand correct, It does not allow you to enable AND disable internet sharing from the PC. At least that is the behavior with my Windows Phone 620 as it was with my 920.

As for the rest, I'm sure it would not take you that long to correct, Unless the explanation becomes so cumbersome as the accessibility and reliability of certain features in Windows.

I hope my text is useful for further improvements on Windows 10 in general.

Silver Wind

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

So you have enabled internet sharing (hotspot) on the phone all the time. Right? No you don't do this.

Actually, he does. I do the same. Simply Don't tapping the WiFi 📶 button will enable tethering on your phone. My wife's first gen surface rt does it. If your SP3 doesn't, you need to visit an MS store to check your blue tooth driver or something. Moreover, windows 10 introduced the option to disable this, so that maybe what you're facing, instead. Check your settings.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

This entire thread is full of more ‘guessing’ than actual information.

Even the discussions on 3D graphics is laughable, as there are ZERO games that use the newer DX11 or DX12 APIs, which is coming to WM10. The examples of games and comparisons are funny, as some of the posts list games that were SCALED BACK on WP8 to meet the feature disparity of OpenGL ES as iOS is using hardware that is limited to DX9 functionality and it version of OpenGL ES doesn’t even fully support all the DX9 features, which is crazy as that framework was from 2003 and iOS has yet to catch up. (Even WM 6.x and ZuneHD had more robust graphics support than iOS.)

With regard to the OP and this thread… There are a lot of OS features that WM10 offers that iOS does not offer and is unable to offer due to core limitations in the iOS model and the stub APIs that only approximate counterpart APIs on OSX. In other words, iOS cannot run as complex software as WM10, as it is a very limited subset of OS X that only mimics many of the kernel level APIs but implements them in a way that is far less robust or efficient.

The main answer to the OP is this…

Ok gone were the days when an actual OEM had to limit their hardware specifications just because WP OS doesnt support it. I also agree that WP is a much potent OS. But I dont see that being much helpful to the end user. If as u said WP supports high end graphics were are those high end games (apart from a few). Why does the competing ecosystems offer better options. Why most of the apps are featureless (they feels like they are there just for the sake of it). And lastly if the OS is so potent why in the world had MS thought of project A. Its been weeks and the latest game page on the store looks the same. Its as if it froze. By your words its seems like WP is a Bugatti stuck in a mile long traffic jam.

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Actually, he does. I do the same. Simply Don't tapping the WiFi �� button will enable tethering on your phone. My wife's first gen surface rt does it. If your SP3 doesn't, you need to visit an MS store to check your blue tooth driver or something. Moreover, windows 10 introduced the option to disable this, so that maybe what you're facing, instead. Check your settings.

Yes, But does it disable Internet Sharing when you disconnect? It does not in mine. Check what I said, "enable/disable" Internet Sharing.

cwords

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Re:

iOS is better in multitasking and resuming apps. I see "resume...." on my windows phone much too often. Also navigation and call recorder apps are often closed when i use them in the background.

Apart from that we should compare Windows Phone to Android not to iOS. Android is the real competition to wp. iOS is only for the highend and also iOS has a global market share well below 20 %, while Android has above 70% and also offers competing devices in every price range (like Moto G for around 200 Euro). Windows Phone until now has the advantage of faster usability and apps-on-sd which makes it a better choice in the lower price range for people who use cheap prepaid plans or bundles (e.g. you get a 1 Gigabyte-LTE-Allnet-Flat for 10 euro/month in germany).

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Features are nice and Apple certain has a lot of them. They have done a great job of starting with a solid foundation and year after year iterating on that, making their products better and better. MS ha some great feature too and will be binging more, but on these features, its going to be a while.

As for iOS, those features come with a price. A monetary price (only an iPhone has iOS and they are very expensive), but they also require you to buy into an all-Apple world. Continuity is great, but only if you also have a MAC. Air Play is great, but only if you have an Apple TV. These are great solutions, but not everyone is willing to sell out completely to one company for everything. The world MS is building is not like this. Its using more open standards that give you more choices. You have an Xbox or other miracast/dlna capable device hooked to your TV, you can choose what you want and use it.

Also, features only matter if you actually will use them. A large number of people never do. What I have always liked and preferred about WP is the focus on the core experience - the things we all are in and out of hourly on our phones. I'm frustrated from time to time by the constant resets and loss of features, but every time I start looking at iOS or Android with all their apps and features, the core experience of WP brings me back. Obviously others will make other choices for different reasons.

Serpentbane

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

In my opinion nothing of this is true. Unless you only compare iOS, android, and WP games to each other, then the differences has nothing to do with the use of DX or OGL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb