I'm really disappointed in Microsoft

notrazvanhere

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I once had a Windows 8.1 Pro student - one I could move from one PC to another. Today I found out that once I upgraded to Windows 10 and kept it for more than a month I can't move it to another PC anymore. I am really disappointed in them, they did not tell me anything specific about it, did not notify me in any way.

I like windows 10 A LOT, I love it but this, this just made me feel like they don't care. It isn't like I'd use it on more than one PC anyway so why would they care? Well...I guess I'm not a MS ****** anymore.

notrazvanhere

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I just asked in MS chat and told them that I've got the retail version ( Win 8.1 Pro Student) and they told me that so nope, it's not just for OEM. Or they lied when they told me that the Pro Student was Retail (I asked back when I bought it).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I once had a Windows 8.1 Pro student - one I could move from one PC to another. Today I found out that once I upgraded to Windows 10 and kept it for more than a month I can't move it to another PC anymore. I am really disappointed in them, they did not tell me anything specific about it, did not notify me in any way.

I like windows 10 A LOT, I love it but this, this just made me feel like they don't care. It isn't like I'd use it on more than one PC anyway so why would they care? Well...I guess I'm not a MS ****** anymore.

While I get your point and agree that MS should be communicating this much more clearly, it's also possible to take the opposite view:

You were GIVEN a free OEM license, but you're upset MS didn't give you a free retail license. Basically, you're mad at MS for only giving you a free OEM license worth $30, rather than a free retail license that can be moved from PC to PC worth $110. Does that really make sense? How about being happy over having received $30 worth of stuff at all?

How mad would you be if you gave someone a gift worth $30, who then got agitated and was "no longer your fan" because it wasn't worth $110?

If you're really that disappointed, just go out and buy a retail license, which is what you would have had to do anyway if MS didn't give you the OEM license for free.

Last edited:

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand your frustration. But just so you know, before blaming MS/being disappointed in them, please do research before upgrading. Weigh the pros and cons; ask people on forums if you have questions; ask MS reps if you live close to a store. It is easy to lay blame and not take responsibility for the lack of research from your part

notrazvanhere

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Maybe I was not clear why I was disappointed, here is a easy to understand list:
1. I asked them a few weeks before Win 10 started rolling out and they said it would still be Retail
2. It was not that they gave it to me for free and I'm just a jerk that wants more, it's the fact that they did not tell me anything about it, I had to find out.

And thanks for making me look like a jerk, the fact is - I wouldn't have gone from 8.1 (with which I was very happy) if I knew this at that point. For all I care they could have kept their 30$ "present". I'm not a fan anymore because they didn't communicate, they didn't care. Not because they didn't give me more.

And on a side note if I'm disappointed I'm not just going to go ahead and give them more money.

notrazvanhere

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
As I just said in another comment - I did research, I did ask MS support and at the time they told me yeah, it's gonna be retail. So yes, I did all that, wouldn't have been annoyed if it were my fault

notrazvanhere

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Just so we're clear I did not want anything from them, I wouldn't care if they didn't give me any win 10 at all, it's their choice and I get that, I'm mad because they did not tell me this prior to me taking their "gift". If they would have just said when they gave me the upgrade: "hey, look, you can have win 10 on this computer but you won't have a retail license anymore" I would not be posting this.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I was not clear why I was disappointed, here is a easy to understand list:
1. I asked them a few weeks before Win 10 started rolling out and they said it would still be Retail
2. It was not that they gave it to me for free and I'm just a jerk that wants more, it's the fact that they did not tell me anything about it, I had to find out.

And thanks for making me look like a jerk, the fact is - I wouldn't have gone from 8.1 (with which I was very happy) if I knew this at that point. For all I care they could have kept their 30$ "present". I'm not a fan anymore because they didn't communicate, they didn't care. Not because they didn't give me more.

And on a side note if I'm disappointed I'm not just going to go ahead and give them more money.

Okay, sorry about the misunderstanding. Unfortunately that was entirely unclear from your first post. As I had said I agree with you that MS should have communicated this clearly, which they didn't.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I'm not mad over it. I still got something for free I otherwise wouldn't have. You have two choices:

a) go back to W8.1
b) go out and buy a retail license of W10 which you would otherwise have had to do anyway.

You haven't lost anything. You just didn't get what you thought you were getting.

notrazvanhere

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
No problem, sorry for not being that clear. :) Well it's been over a month so I'm stuck. For me the fact that it was retail was more important than win 10. :(

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ I haven't explicitly tested going back, but I am running both W8.1 and W10 on the same dual-boot machine, where the W10 license was derived from W8.1. No problem, and it's also been more than a month.

Almeuit

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I finally made the jump for my gaming rig at home -- Went from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro -- Loving it so far. I currently don't have any real complaints. If I HAD to choose one thing to complain about it would be Microsoft moving stuff on OS upgrades. I find myself sitting there looking at my screen going "Okay .. I know what I want to do .. Where did you guys put it...." :grin:.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
^ I haven't explicitly tested going back, but I am running both W8.1 and W10 on the same dual-boot machine, where the W10 license was derived from W8.1. No problem, and it's also been more than a month.

I did something kind of like this. The main difference is that I'm not actively using the Windows 10 upgrade.

I upgraded my personal laptop to Windows 10, but before I did I made a full image backup. As it turned out, I had too many issues with wifi on W10 (older laptop), so I restored my W8.1 image. This of course is the installation that was upgraded to W10. It's been about 2 months since I restored W8.1, and I have had no issues.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I did something kind of like this. The main difference is that I'm not actively using the Windows 10 upgrade.

I upgraded my personal laptop to Windows 10, but before I did I made a full image backup. As it turned out, I had too many issues with wifi on W10 (older laptop), so I restored my W8.1 image. This of course is the installation that was upgraded to W10. It's been about 2 months since I restored W8.1, and I have had no issues.

I suspected that my situation would mean this should work too, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for confirming!

When I like a post = I agree
When I thank a post = I'm thanking for learning something.

Hence both...

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Thought I would share what happens if you get a little off track..I have been running the Insider Preview since it came out. No problems at all till Build 10130. This is on an HP Pavillion 17. Was intent on being able to continue getting the new builds but was unable to install the next build no matter what I tried. Decided to go back to 10074 and try it from there and did it as a clean install to get rid of all elements of 10130. Was then able to get all the rest of the builds up to the official release. Created the media installation disc and installed the official 10 and was unable to activate despite spending about 8 hrs on the phone with MS and at least that much in the Forums. Finally contacted HP and requested a Recovery Disc for my laptop which they provided for $32. All is good now, but I was under the impression that a product key would not be necessary if we were in the Insider Preview and had the current build...wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon