The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-11-2017 10:19 PM
55 123
tools
    " Of course, that's what being stupid and never updating your PC will get you. ". Well, you what technicians say, as long as they are around, we'll always have jobs.
    10-04-2015 06:13 PM
    If you don't want popups from free antivirus, use Windows Defender, Bitdefender Free, or Panda Free Antivirus (turn off Panda News in settings). Run Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner once a month or so. Avast for Business is free to anyone with an email :)
    10-05-2015 01:59 AM
    Common Sense Proffesional is what you actually needed.
    All other antivirus is just make a malware easier to attack.
    Sargon Aelther likes this.
    10-05-2015 12:16 PM
    Many people consider Norton to be a virus itself.

It is very intrusive and is very difficult to uninstall.

There is an old saying in the computer world ... " friends don't let friends use Norton ".

I've been told their software for businesses is pretty good and not as bad as for personal computers but I don't know about that. But I don't let anything Norton anywhere near my computers.
    JohnStrk and Jazmac like this.
    10-05-2015 12:45 PM
    I use Norton and have been for years. Back in the day if you got attacked the virus would mess up Norton and I had to go into registry to remove it to reintall it. But it has improved and I use Norton 360 and Anti-Malwarebytes. I purchased the AMB license so it does real time scans.
    10-06-2015 09:07 AM
    I basically like Windows Defender! I have been using it since Windows 8. It does not slows down your PC. Avast is also a good option. I would not recommend Kaspersky and ESET Nod 32! They both suck! Still why would someone want to go for a third party antivirus? :?
    10-06-2015 10:54 PM
    I use Norton and have been for years. Back in the day if you got attacked the virus would mess up Norton and I had to go into registry to remove it to reintall it. But it has improved and I use Norton 360 and Anti-Malwarebytes. I purchased the AMB license so it does real time scans.
    I remember those days. Norton was so bad back then 😃
    10-07-2015 03:36 AM
    Kaspersky n NOD32
    10-07-2015 04:04 AM
    If you want ultra-protection against malware / root-kits / potentially unsafe software then it has to be Malwarebytes. It cannot be shut off by clever viruses because it has 'chameleon' as well as early start on your pc . I has protected me very well over the last 6 or 7 years and there is no monthly prescription. You pay about 20 and you have it for life. I have run it along other anti virus software and MWB trumped them every time.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
    10-08-2015 01:42 PM
    I find Avira really good. It has less false detection than Avast!!!!!!!!!!! and BitDefender.
    Steve Dudenhoeffer likes this.
    10-13-2015 07:18 AM
    Why?
    Cuz Windows Defender has come out pretty much last place time & time again. All the major Antivirus Labs tests show that. BitDefender & Kaspersky being the top 2 in the world many years straight now.\
    But having said that, windows Defender IS better than nothing. Just make sure to use a second opinion malware scanner. I recommend MalwareBytes. So does the world from it's downloads :)

my answer was to this question...

I basically like Windows Defender! I have been using it since Windows 8. It does not slows down your PC. Avast is also a good option. I would not recommend Kaspersky and ESET Nod 32! They both suck! Still why would someone want to go for a third party antivirus?
    Last edited by Guytronic; 10-16-2015 at 03:23 AM.
    10-15-2015 11:09 PM
    I think kaspersky is the best choice for win 10
    U can download kaspersky at https://keykaspersky.com or http://kaspersky.com
    05-02-2017 12:28 AM
    Hi! I'm new to these forums.

What is the most unobtrusive antivirus that runs on Windows 10? My dad is insistent that Windows Defender does not do a good job keeping Windows secure. I am new to Windows (I have lots of experience with OS X and the Mac), so I'm not really used to having to run 3rd-party software like that, and I don't feel comfortable downloading a program from a website (because on my Mac I got everything from the App Store) and I worry about the security of that.

I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear with my questions. If you want me to go into more detail on anything, please ask.
    I've used Avast free for years and I've been happy with it. One bonus is that it's approved for use with many corporate systems (like my company) so if you need access to the company network with your computerthe free edition might well be fine.
    05-11-2017 07:37 AM

What is the most unobtrusive antivirus that runs on Windows 10? My dad is insistent that Windows Defender does not do a good job keeping Windows secure. I am new to Windows (I have lots of experience with OS X and the Mac), so I'm not really used to having to run 3rd-party software like that, and I don't feel comfortable downloading a program from a website (because on my Mac I got everything from the App Store) and I worry about the security of that.

I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear with my questions. If you want me to go into more detail on anything, please ask.
    I've been a long time user of the free, basic version of AVG antivirus. I've been using it since 2004 or 2005 with very little trouble. In fact I can only think of one issue in 2009 or 2010 (something like that) where AVG let something slip through and I had to download a separate Malware tool.

Either way, I routinely download the newest version of AVG (once a year). The program has gradually become slightly more intrusive, and gradually more of a resource hog, but, with it's proven track record (in my experience) I keep going back to it.
    05-11-2017 07:41 AM

05-11-2017 07:49 AM

I would go for Antivirus from Avira. Unobtrusive, high detection rate and doesn't cost the world. There is also a free version available.
    Steve Dudenhoeffer likes this.
    05-11-2017 07:49 AM
    At home, I have been using Avast for years. We never had an issue.
    Since I reïnstalled Win10 over a year ago, I am only running Windows Defender.
    05-11-2017 07:51 AM
    Common Sense Proffesional is what you actually needed.
    All other antivirus is just make a malware easier to attack.
    Agree 100%. I've been using Common Sense Pro since version 1.3 and I've never had any issues. All other anti virus programs are paranoid and hog system resources.
    05-11-2017 07:54 AM
    If you want ultra-protection against malware / root-kits / potentially unsafe software then it has to be Malwarebytes. It cannot be shut off by clever viruses because it has 'chameleon' as well as early start on your pc . I has protected me very well over the last 6 or 7 years and there is no monthly prescription. You pay about �20 and you have it for life. I have run it along other anti virus software and MWB trumped them every time.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/
    This is an old post on a thread that has just recently become active again. But I noticed this post.

Did MWB change their payment structure? Because I only see subscription options - and they're much more than a one time $20 purchase. https://store.malwarebytes.com/342/p...=quantummetric
    05-11-2017 07:58 AM

I have a Win 10 PC and a Surface Pro 3 and a Laptop running Win 10. I've used Windows Defender only for 2 years with no issues, I mean 0 viruses, no browser hijacks, no malware. I know several other people who have had the same results with Windows Defender. So I really no longer see a reason to pay for third party software. You can always download Malware bytes if you think you have another issue.
    05-11-2017 08:00 AM

Don't use anti-virus software. Windows Defender is enough.

There's a ton of problems with anti-virus software, they generate more problems than they fix.
    05-11-2017 08:07 AM
    This is an old post on a thread that has just recently become active again. But I noticed this post.

Did MWB change their payment structure? Because I only see subscription options - and they're much more than a one time $20 purchase. https://store.malwarebytes.com/342/p...=quantummetric
    @Indistinguishable
    That's odd... Malwarebytes discontinued the $20 lifetime licenses back in early 2014...

I suppose he got the license from an 3rd party vendor, maybe?

Edited: I found that some authorized sellers were allowed to sell such licenses a few months after the expiration date.
    05-11-2017 08:13 AM
    @Indistinguishable
    That's odd... Malwarebytes discontinued the $20 lifetime licenses back in early 2014...

I suppose he got the license from an 3rd party vendor, maybe?

Edited: I found that some authorized sellers were allowed to sell such licenses a few months after the expiration date.
    Oh, wow. If I had known they had a $20 lifetime subscription, I probably would have jumped on it.

According to his post, he'd been using it since 2007/2008. So he's probably grandfathered in. Pretty good deal.
    Josiah23 likes this.
    05-11-2017 08:27 AM
    Oh, wow. If I had known they had a $20 lifetime subscription, I probably would have jumped on it.

According to his post, he'd been using it since 2007/2008. So he's probably grandfathered in. Pretty good deal.
    Ahh, I totally disregarded how long he had the subscription.

I'm not sure how he was still able to keep the subscription a year after it has been discontinued... That's interesting.
    05-11-2017 08:30 AM

Best and most important protection against viruses is your own brain. Don't click on mail attachments unless you know that you expect those and/or know they are legit (just because they seem to come from a person you know does not make them legit), don't click on links in mails that want you to enter logins/passwords, don't install apps from third party websites. And then you're safe. Add Windows Defender in the mix for some more serious viruses but truth is: If you are careful, you don't need any antivirus solution at all. If you are lazy however ...
    05-11-2017 08:56 AM
55 123