Are developers redoing their apps for Windows 10 Mobile?

DaxeTM

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Dunno if this might be a good thread or not, possibly not, but still:
I've noticed that Subway Surfers (at least) isn't available on the Microsoft Store and if you use a link to it, it says to contact support. So, do you think that they are redoing this game and maybe other apps for better otimization and compatibility? Or do they just don't care anymore?

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Ah, it's really, really hard to say, maybe it is just a bug related to new store which is still sluggish and buggy like a hell with numerous apps and games that you simply can't install and/or update...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
First note that all types of W8.0 and W8.1 apps should also run on W10M without requiring any modifications whatsoever. That's the theory. I don't know how well that will play out in practice. At least based on the current state of the insider preview I think it will be fine. AFAIK W10M will not run WP7 apps . Anybody still using apps that haven't been updated in such a long time will likely have to give those up.

So, are developers redoing their apps for Windows 10 Mobile? No. At least not in numbers that are meaningful. MS is the only notable exception.

This will change once the OS comes out of beta. How enthusiastic developers will be I don't know. That will be very interesting to watch. I don't expect a relevant number of companies to start porting their WP apps (that exist only for WP) to W10M however. IMHO that is a lost cause. I suspect most WP-only apps will eventually be abandoned and replaced by apps ported from iOS or Android with little to no effort to make them real W10M apps, meaning they are unlikely to support Windows specific features like Continuum, Live Tiles, etc.

I think the majority of real W10M apps that we'll get will be of the type that also make sense to use on desktops/laptops or tablets. Whether such apps are initially released only for W10 and then gradually adapted for W10M, or if developers decide it's worth doing both from the get go, will also be very interesting to watch.

????

Last edited:

DaxeTM

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
You actually might be right, but there are Microsoft apps that dont run in W10M, for example, that's why I wondered, but you're right, if they actually don't use the same version of (for example) Subway Surfers for WP8.1 in W10M, then they will give us an Android version or something. It's kinda sad, they sould really give the OS more attention, it seems promising!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
You actually might be right, but there are Microsoft apps that dont run in W10M, for example, that's why I wondered, but you're right, if they actually don't use the same version of (for example) Subway Surfers for WP8.1 in W10M, then they will give us an Android version or something. It's kinda sad, they sould really give the OS more attention, it seems promising!

The fact that most WP8.x apps run fine on the W10M insider preview, means MS is putting a lot of effort into that capability. Uncertain is only whether this will work perfectly, or if some apps may have quirks which MS just can't get to work properly on W10M, without the original developer altering something.

Developers won't put much effort into games that already exist for WP8.x. That means those games will either be abandoned, or hopefully more likely, slightly modified so they run properly as a WP8.x game under W10M.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss