Will there be any hope for Android apps like Snapchat on 10 Mobile?

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
So, nobody really talks about it here, but it's more than possible to run android apps on windows 10 mobile. I tried it myself- facebook messenger, facebook, instagram, all the android versions -so much more polished and well designed than what we have to pick from on our windows phones- basically, for the most part, work.

Obviously it's illegal or something so windowscentral hasn't written any articles about it. And, sometimes it's buggy (like when the app looks for a picture in your phone, or has to use your camera,) and notifications don't work. Whatever.

What I'm asking is, is now that I've seen something like this happen, in the very near future with the release of windows 10 phones coming out, will we start seeing legitimate, legal, and working android apps coming to our phones?

I'll admit, after switching to a droid for a month, the apps are so well done, so snappy, and so pretty, my windows phone feels rather dead and old, even if the OS itself is the most visually appealing thing available.

I'm curious if I should invest in another windows phone because quality apps will be coming my way in the next few months, or just go with an iPhone. I've been a windows phone user since 7, but I'm getting sick of feeling left out. My generation relies on things like snapchat to keep in touch, and after having moved to south korea, things like this are all the more valuable. Not to mention subway apps that saved my life in korea and all the banking apps just aren't available on windows phone (hence i have been using a droid for the past month).

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will there be any hope for andoid apps like snapchat on 10 Mobile?

In the end it will depend on developers. If a developer sees benefit in porting his Android app to Windows 10's Universal App platform, then the apps will show up.

However, I don't expect things like Snapchat to come. Because apps like Snapchat, Instagram etc were designed with mobile-only in mind. Therefore the appeal of Universal Apps that also run on Windows PCs and the XBone is non-existent. They are mobile-apps and therefore developers will only look at the mobile scenario. Which is 2.5% marketshare.

By the way, you can no longer sideload Android apps onto WP10. Microsoft patched that in the latest build.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Obviously it's illegal or something so windowscentral hasn't written any articles about it.

Incorrect: Microsoft's Project Astoria has leaked letting Windows 10 Mobile sideload Android APKs directly | Windows Central

Also, this topic has been discussed quite heavily in the forums. You don't see multiple articles written about it because of the ethics involved. Many users are going to apk warez sites to obtain apps and games, and that's not something the staff of Windows Central endorses at all.

anon(7822191)

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks DJC. I think optimism is the only thing that's kept me going on Windows for so long. With the lack of aesthetic appeal in the latest flagships I just can't do it anymore... I'll be watching the presentation hoping to become a believer regardless.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I never got the whole apps are always more polished on other platforms running different OS's. I think Facebook beta is just as aesthetically functional on Windows phone as it is on iOS or Andriod. I don't even fathom the official instagram app because 6Tag is 100 times better, and even allows features that the official app on other OS's don't. That pretty much goes for any app the Rudy touches for that matter. I'm not taken back by the Office suite, because quite frankly I don't plan on doing any real work on my phone, but I have had to and have had no problems. You just can't be the integration. I do agree with that those apps that are exclusive to mobile, like Snapchat and Whatsapp, will be the exceptions. Whatsapp actually functions pretty well on Windows phone as well. Like others have mentioned here, developers will not be able to simple ignore Windows 10 mobile, with the popularity of Windows 10 desktop anymore, so I would expect to see a lot more universal apps being generated.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Why the need for Snapchat?

Any worthwhile photo is meant to be saved. Any worthwhile conversation is best made in person or at least using voice. If using such an app to be sneaky, hiding from a significant other, parent or the law you are doing it wrong.

The real thing is always better than the 1's and 0's version of anything. Put down the phone.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Any worthwhile photo is meant to be saved. Any worthwhile conversation is best made in person or at least using voice. If using such an app to be sneaky, hiding from a significant other, parent or the law you are doing it wrong.

The real thing is always better than the 1's and 0's version of anything. Put down the phone.

Why the need for technology at all? All worthwhile conversations should be my vocal chords vibrating air molecules. Also what do you mean by "the real thing?" The real snapchat? The real 10 second joke? The real long distance communication that doesn't really need to be saved? If I could rib a friend from 1000 miles away to point out a funny thing I'm seeing... I would. Fortunately Snapchat provides me with the digital means. Snapchat isn't an artistic platform for art snobs. It's a passing joke in the form of a picture and a blurb.

buddy007

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site

By the way, you can no longer sideload Android apps onto WP10. Microsoft patched that in the latest build.
yes you still can , MS only patched the bug that allows android to run entirely

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site

Please go discuss windows10 with your friends in a pub then and not here :D . You really are hilarious.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Please go discuss windows10 with your friends in a pub then and not here :D . You really are hilarious.

Touch?. But I wouldn't bore my friends talking about desk and pocket tech.

I understand the app can be useful since users aren't left with a bloated history to manage. I was referring more to the type of users who see each other more frequently, like the satirical friends sitting within talking distance who communicate with each other by looking at and using their phones, and deviants.

Re: real life. If you want to be a deviant be one in the open, not behind closed doors.

Disclaimer: As someone who has never been interested in social media (Untappd is about my limit) I admit my ignorance of it's unperceived to me benefits :)

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
@920Walker
It is a ridiculous argument to say that someone shouldn't "need" something that they want. Your logic could be applied to anything. Why should you have a password on your personal phone or computer? You shouldn't have anything to hide.
Seriously, not everything needs to be saved. Snapchat is as joke, so treat it as such. Not everyone who sends a snap is a "deviant".
Wow, you must really be fun at parties.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
@Techmel, you put many words in my mouth. Everyone? I say above it's useful as it doesn't bloat with history.

I am fun at parties. I leave the phone in the car.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter if anyone here thinks SC is a relevant or good app. Bottom line is a very popular app on the 2 platforms that have 97% market share & is not on WP. Not having popular apps just gives people a reason to not choose WP even if they don'y use the app. Same go's for Google apps even though you may not like them they are widely used & is a BIG barrier to entry to the platform. Perception is reality in the consumer space. People(especially young people) don't like to feel like they are or will be left out when choosing certain items & phones are one of those items. That's just how things are. We are the minority no matter if you like or not 97% VS 3% say having the most popular apps matter.....

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

In the end it will depend on developers. If a developer sees benefit in porting his Android app to Windows 10's Universal App platform, then the apps will show up.

However, I don't expect things like Snapchat to come. Because apps like Snapchat, Instagram etc were designed with mobile-only in mind. Therefore the appeal of Universal Apps that also run on Windows PCs and the XBone is non-existent. They are mobile-apps and therefore developers will only look at the mobile scenario. Which is 2.5% marketshare.

Ah, but the point of the Android emulator in WM10 is that for mobile, developers do not need to port an app. Some apps will work without change. If the app uses maps internally then the change is relatively minor ( 10 minutes ).

So developers like SnapChat no longer need to write a UWA to bring apps to mobile, they just release their Android app.

And you can still sideload in the latest public version. XDA guys worked a method out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)