A very good Article which answers many questions about windows mobile 10.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I imagine they didn't as it would have probably been drowned out in the sea of negativity that's been floating around lately. Not to mention Daniel would have probably been hammered weeks on end as apparently he drinks whiskey when reads the comments section on Windows Central (he answered someone's question the weekly ask Dan segments - if he drinks whiskey before he reads the comments on windows central - Video #8) - I don't blame him lol.

Hey, I reject that entirely! ;-)

A lot of people have been building up huge (unfulfillable) expectations, because they couldn't imagine WP/W10M surviving this round if the 950/XL failed to take the market by storm. Many people still think that increased market share is the only thing that will guarantee WM's survival. Such views being popular is also what is causing many to call on MS to sell these high-end devices at or below cost (it's one of the bigger threads around here)... moa market share or WP will die, so give these things away already MS!!!

Compared to all the "WP is dead" or "WP will die if..." messages, I think mine is comparatively positive. I've been saying for a while now that WM will not die, even if market share goes nowhere, and even if the 950 and 950 XL don't sell in meaningful numbers. Sure, it's not the most positive message ever, but do we really want to focus on sugarcoating when reality is so much more interesting? ;-)

Well you're not the only who has seen this coming albeit yourself and few others have been more vocal about it :winktongue:.

In hindsight, everyone always claims to have known what was coming. :winktongue:

You could be right, but if you are, I at least haven't seen anybody else point out the issues I mentioned in the first post.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Apps won't come to the platform if sales are low, not even Android apps. Without apps the platform is effectively dead.

Yes, yes, yes... we know already. Without getting into all the details all over again... that's basically what Astoria and Islandwood are for. They represent the means by which W10M could stay alive in the consumer space despite native Windows smartphone-only app development being dead.

Someday, universal apps may also play a role... maybe.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I reject that entirely! ;-)

Of course you would :winktongue: there's no telling what the reaction would have been however reading the comments prior to the event... just... was indescribable lol.

A lot of people have been building up huge (unfulfillable) expectations, because they couldn't imagine WP/W10M surviving this round if the 950/XL failed to take the market by storm. Many people still think that increased market share is the only thing that will guarantee WM's survival. Such views being popular is also what is causing many to call on MS to sell these high-end devices at or below cost (it's one of the bigger threads around here)... moa market share or WP will die, so give these things away already MS!!!

I wonder how what the reaction would be when it does turn out the intel based phone aka "surface phone" is going to be mid range business orientated device?

Guess they will start committing financial seppuku on mass :grincry:

I find it hilarious that people are complaining that these phones run on 808 and 810 but not a single peep about the Nexus 5X or Nexus 6PClash of the titans: Lumia 950 XL versus Nexus 6P | Windows CentralShowdown: Lumia 950 versus Nexus 5X | Windows Central

They get a free pass when it comes to the specs... double standard much? :straight:

If Microsoft just focused on a clear vision to start and boosted it with the Enterprise know-how as opposed to dilly dallying market share may have come naturally - Who knows - as those of who can see trends know it's not solely based on one factor or company alone.

Compared to all the "WP is dead" or "WP will die if..." messages, I think mine is comparatively positive. I've been saying for a while now that WM will not die, even if market share goes nowhere, and even if the 950 and 950 XL don't sell in meaningful numbers. Sure, it's not the most positive message ever, but do we really want to focus on sugarcoating when reality is so much more interesting? ;-)

Yup I concur.

I can understand the negativity and frustration; real kicker is that massive lay off that occurred on Windows Phone division and that I imagine was the catalyst for all the negativity. The problem I reckon is three fold, those of us who can see the bigger picture, those who are focused on the here & those who want to see the platform succeed at any cost (being the competitor platforms) when you mix all three elements - it's a volatile mix.

Some, without being derogatory as just ostriches they want to live in their own perfect little bubble as it's what they want, it's predictable, steady and no surprises thus when that bubble pops insanity tends to break loose. Whereas some of will call that incredibly mundane, dull, boring as it lacks any sort of stimulus.

Those who want to live in their comfy cocoon I say let them as no amount of enticement will get them to change; the change must come from with-in and at their own volition. However that doesn't mean we should let people running around spreading fud and misinformation :grincry:.

In hindsight, everyone always claims to have known what was coming. :winktongue:
That's True :grin:

You could be right, but if you are, I at least haven't seen anybody else point out the issues I mentioned in the first post.

Well, I was being pragmatic :grin: .

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
It's not all that bad. No matter in which direction MS will go, i'll stick around. Even if it means having less apps, i can still be productive with my phone. Trust me, my PC is still on XP lol :D I do everything i must on my phone, and when i'll finally buy the surface, my phone capability will be even better.

Love it in any way, wouldn't trade in for no samsung or iphone crap!! Ty!

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
If the 950/XL are for the fans, well they're not doing a great job. Like, I don't think the phones look like duds, but they haven't released a phone that I would want to buy (I know I'm not everyone). I'm not entirely into the phablets, and while the regular 950 isn't quite that size, I think a slightly more compact version would have its place.

From what I can see, I'm not too impressed with the way W10M is heading. Ok, it hasn't worked with the consumers, so they're practically giving up on them. The problem is, I'm still here, and when I got my WP8 device, it had some of the best features and usability around. That's all going. I'm really considering whether I should ever make the update to W10M when it comes to my phone, or just stick to WP8.1. I've definitely decided I'm not upgrading any time soon. Gonna use my current phone until it dies, then I'll probably move back to android.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Its funny how some can see Black and others White when looking at something Grey, I had been heading towards a bit of pessimism over the last few months, Skype on tablets, the disaster that is OneDrive at the moment and one or two other little things.

But at the moment I have to say MS have done very well with the new devices and in particular the pricing (If the 950XL or 950 is too much, don't worry buy just buy a 550 which I can see becoming a very popular phone around the world) and although I have a 1520 and not really in the market for a new phone just yet, I could easily see myself looking at the 950 or XL sometime next year.

And I also think that some of us are getting a bit to wrapped up in how W10M looks now, we still have a few more builds to go, and if I remember W10 for PC was looking like a train crash up until one build before RTM, so we have yet to see the final build and until it goes live don't expect too much on the app front, but I reckon MS have pulled a bit of a blinder here, and good things could be closer than we think.

A lot of companies will be looking at MS in a very different light after yesterday, and hopefully all the hardware companies (Dell, HP and maybe even someone like Samsung will be looking at their own hardware and other options and thinking MS may be a good friend).

I think when we have the phones and Xbox sorted on 10, Skype, messaging and OneDrive sorted, the platform may start to look a very different place to now.

Hey I could be wrong but maybe time for a weekend and a few deep breaths and just maybe the sun will come out.

Loud Silence

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how what the reaction would be when it does turn out the intel based phone aka "surface phone" is going to be mid range business orientated device?
You will have a small cult of fanboys who'll worship the device and claim specs don't matter (they do matter a little) essentially creating an Apple-like cult, again citing Apple as the example.
To be honest, there are already many like that here but when that "Surface" phone comes, I suspect that might increase. It is astonishing how many people don't think 950/XL are flagships here on this site but claim the older Windows Phones, which at their time were considerably weaker than the competition, were.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
You will have a small cult of fanboys who'll worship the device and claim specs don't matter (they do matter a little) essentially creating an Apple-like cult, again citing Apple as the example.
To be honest, there are already many like that here but when that "Surface" phone comes, I suspect that might increase. It is astonishing how many people don't think 950/XL are flagships here on this site but claim the older Windows Phones, which at their time were considerably weaker than the competition, were.

Most people do not know what they want until they see it and are quick judge from it's appearance.
Oh that look's expensive so surely it must be amazing :grincry: .

However what I do find amazing is the double standards people have... again the Nexus phones are prime example both have the same SOC as the 950 and XL but aren't DOA and yet the 950 and XL are?

Seriously....

It's like Apple and Google can do no wrong yet Microsoft is vilified, don't get me wrong I've lambasted Microsoft in the past for a lot of their decisions.

But here it's completely misplaced.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
It is astonishing how many people don't think 950/XL are flagships here on this site but claim the older Windows Phones, which at their time were considerably weaker than the competition, were.
People want to be wowed, by design, specs, new function. Surface Book shows you can still do it in this jaded era when we saw everything. These phones and even Surface 4 Pro look too much like their predecessors, even if they are improvements.

SonOfDad

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Satya Nadella has replaced Steve Ballmer

Mentioning this so early in the piece and they flow on to "his real plan is" puts the net in place for when they fail to bump up market share. "Oh we didn't sell anything don't blame the new golden boy."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99