No announcement about Windows 10 Mobile OS in NYC event

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I thought I might be a little put out that we didn't hear anything about Windows 10 Mobile but I find that I'm not. This was a pretty big presentation in itself and it covered a lot of ground, some of it mind blowing. I see how companies like google is taking steps in this direction because Windows 10 is a new day and it wasn't waiting for what "they" were doing. It is showing it has something to say and can live within its own skin. Word about Windows 10 mobile is coming next and it will be a show all on its own...as it should be.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
After much reluctance, I had to replace my 1520 because it just bricked on me one day. After much contemplation I decided to go with the 640XL because it was already compatible with Windows 10 mobile. I've been using it as my daily driver for about two months now, and I couldn't be more impressed with the build and more excited for what's to come. Despite the 1520 being of superior specs, the 640XL has handled WP10 so much better. Of course there are glitches here and there, but overall I am thoroughly sold on the direction of WP10 and would recommend the fast ring to anyone who has a 640XL. Hope this helps.

Exactly the same thing happened to me. Very impressed so far with W10TP on my 640XL.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Device announcement, not software announcement.

But they announced a phone with windows 10, showed software updates for the Xbox and new apps how could they not announce a release date for their new unified OS they are selling? It's not like they will have another big event to do this before the launch of the 950 and XL

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
So we have our phones now in the Lumia 950 and 950XL and now what? It was a little discouraging to not find anything more about the direction Windows 10 Mobile is going. I'm guessing Microsoft at least has a final vision of what the OS is going to look like when it officially rolls out. But when are consumers going to get the details about it? Is Microsoft going to have another separate Windows 10 Mobile event? I would have at least liked to see a simulated demo of the final release version and have Microsoft say "this is what Windows 10 Mobile is going to look like." What improvements to the camera are being made? At this point we should at least know what's coming. It was painfully obvious that they have a clear cut plan for every other device presented without a more vague November release date.No need to keep things in secrecy any longer. Even Google presents future versions of Android before it's out. We already knew most of the stuff about the new flagships and while Continuum was really really cool, they didn't touch questions about the camera sensors and image quality. It's bad enough I now have to decide if I'm going to attempt to save up for an unlocked 950 versus paying $30 a month since it's not coming to T-Mobile, but I have to wait to still to see what the software and OS will be like? Their asking a lot without answering many of our burning questions. At the very least I would have expected some type of announcement about a specific Windows 10 Mobile unveiling. Nevertheless I was thoroughly impressed and enjoyed every second of the event on my 42" TV which was cool.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The phones will release in November and the update will be released in December

What I don't like about this is that because Windows 10 mobile won't be finished after the release, this will probably cause a big influx of bad reviews. As such people will be reluctant to buy these phones. I think they should come with the final version if they want to get good reviews, but that's just my 2 cents.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
the event was not about the Windows 10 OS.
it was called #Windows10devices.
The Surface tablets partially and the Lumia phones especially do not allow you to install any alternative OS if you are not happy with what MS provides you!
So hardware and software are inseparable and are an integral part of each other, bound together tight.

What I don't like about this is that because Windows 10 mobile won't be finished after the release, this will probably cause a big influx of bad reviews. As such people will be reluctant to buy these phones.
Well, I really hope so it will happen like this. And things look good for that to happen. It will lead to a quick drop of the prices for these devices :)

I think they should come with the final version if they want to get good reviews
By that time the hardware yould be outdated already :winktongue:

Even Google presents future versions of Android before it's out.
With the big difference that they stick to their timeline unlike MS.

Is Microsoft going to have another separate Windows 10 Mobile event?
Would you show off the current state of W10M to a big audience including investors etc.? Please..

Their asking a lot without answering many of our burning questions. At the very least I would have expected some type of announcement about a specific Windows 10 Mobile unveiling.
You summarize it well.

Nevertheless I was thoroughly impressed and enjoyed every second of the event on my 42" TV which was cool.
Will a cool presentation along with the stupid Ninjacat wallpapers made by Gabe Aul bring us any closer to a RTM status of W10M?

Mathew K Jose

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Its been heard that we can expect a new bulid soon...probably the one that was in 950 n 950XL -Build 10546.Gabe has told that a new build is already in their internal fast ring.By the way am still getting updates for apps(Mail n Calendar n others).

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
The Surface tablets partially and the Lumia phones especially do not allow you to install any alternative OS if you are not happy with what MS provides you!
So hardware and software are inseparable and are an integral part of each other, bound together tight.

Well, I really hope so it will happen like this. And things look good for that to happen. It will lead to a quick drop of the prices for these devices :)

By that time the hardware yould be outdated already :winktongue:

With the big difference that they stick to their timeline unlike MS.

Would you show off the current state of W10M to a big audience including investors etc.? Please..

You summarize it well.

Will a cool presentation along with the stupid Ninjacat wallpapers made by Gabe Aul bring us any closer to a RTM status of W10M?
Thanks for quoting everyone so well but it still does not answer the most important questions for anyone who may be interested in Windows 10 Mobile. Those question are what will or is the final RTM version going to look like and what features will be included? Does Microsoft even have a final vision of what they want for the new OS or are they making it up as they go along? I guess that's part of the customer feedback and technical preview but at this point there are still more questions than answers. And since we are supposedly this close to the launch of two new flagships you would think consumers would have a better idea by now. I really want to know what new improvements are in the camera software. I want to know about USB OTG. I want to know about the other things included in Windows 10 Mobile that added features and value to the Os besides the slight visual overhaul.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Uhm...well I guess while there are many confusing things about W10M but we not saw any new features in the last few builds and you can take it as feature-complete. They "just" have to take care of the bugs. But not expect any new functionality that is not in the preview yet.
Marketing in general is simple: underline and showcase what is new and great, don't mention what is subpar, medicore or renowned.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
...you can take it as feature-complete. They "just" have to take care of the bugs. But not expect any new functionality that is not in the preview yet.

The thought of being feature complete is what's pretty frustrating to me. I don't care about continuum and windows hello so outside of just wanting a new phone there isn't any real compelling reason for me to upgrade phones or even "upgrade to WM10"

I have WM10 on my 930 right now and the only reason why I haven't gone back down to 8.1 again is because I'm halfway through Hitman Go and don't want to lose my save.

Durishin

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. There definitely MUST be a Win 10 Mobile launch even t NEXT MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (November)

I mean: Mobile must do MORE than Win 10...like mobile pay, excellent call quality, ability to understand when I am doing something (like on a call) and not be ding, ding, dinging in my ear with every text that arrives... You know: mobile stuff...

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Wouldn't you guys prefer to wait until it is ready? Or would you rather go down the google route of persistent updates, to fix bugs that didn't get fixed in the previous builds? Or, wait until your provider has added all of their bloat, compromising whatever google got sorted?

MSFT don't HAVE to offer any form of OS updates, like many droid OEM's who drop support for a device when the next fashion accessory appears. That's why there is such a large community of 'independant' devs on XDA.
950 / 950xl available Dec 2 over here, so pretty good chance release will be just after that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb