No "Windows" in continuum?

Ultimaty

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't help notice that in the demo video, every office program (app) was running in full screen...

I suspect there's no "windows" or even split mode... What use of big size monitor if you can't see your works (outlook, excel sheet, word doc, etc.) side by side?...

That was one of my biggest disappointment during the event.

Spinn

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I was hoping to see split mode like on a tablet. I can understand why windowed mode might be too much for phone hardware at this point.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Switching between apps seemed quite quick though, so that will help... But I have a similar situation that I need for work, I keep my Outlook on one screen and Excel and Access on a second screen. A work around I could imagine is keeping outlook up on your phone, reading through things there and then dictating them into a large screen Excel. That would work great for me as the screen size for text is not nearly as big of a deal as working in a gimped Excel.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
There will be a huge waste for no spilt screen /windowed app, multi windows is really where the productivity kicks in.

Running office app/jump across tasks are achieved by android long time ago.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
There will be a huge waste for no spilt screen /windowed app, multi windows is really where the productivity kicks in.

Running office app/jump across tasks are achieved by android long time ago.
Androids can do split screen?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'jump across tasks' because that sounds to me like something windows did from the start (alt+tab) which you can do in Continuum.

And from what I know there isn't really an Android PC-like experience (although comparing to say an iPad or iPhone an Android device comes much closer).

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Androids can do split screen?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'jump across tasks' because that sounds to me like something windows did from the start (alt+tab) which you can do in Continuum.

And from what I know there isn't really an Android PC-like experience (although comparing to say an iPad or iPhone an Android device comes much closer).
150501122302-windows-10-new-look-780x439.png
This is why windows stands out in terms of productivity, the ability to open multiple windows under the same screen instead of switching across each apps which taken the whole screen area by pressing tab+alt.

split screen, did the w10m demo shown any of these way to use apps in the same screen? I don't think so
Windows-10-Windows-8-Split-Screen-IT-Support.png

So the only thing that Continuum stands out from the demo event to me is just that you can use the PC hotkey combination.

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This is why windows stands out in terms of productivity, the ability to open multiple windows under the same screen instead of switching across each apps which taken the whole screen area by pressing tab+alt.

split screen, did the w10m demo shown any of these way to use apps in the same screen? I don't think so

So the only thing that Continuum stands out from the demo event to me is just that you can use the PC hotkey combination.
Hmm... yes I see what you're saying there.
But that is why they stated it's a PC-like experience (with emphasis on the like).
The closest thing to running multiple programs/apps in the same screen would be running a separate app on the phone while having one on the monitor... such as excel on the 950 and word on the monitor. Then alt tabbing so you can copy paste information across apps.

And well, the only other thing I can say is... Android can't do this nor iPad/iPhone. So it's still a huge leap forward. I'm sure eventually we'll be able to do split screen apps/programs.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
No reason this functionality can't be added later. The way I see it, the Lumia Flagships are pretty much future proof. They have the ability to read 2TB SD cards and have liquid cooling. I'm willing to bet that these features are there to make use of increased functionality in the future. The continuum dock, by being just a box like the current surface hub will most likely be useful in future offerings so you can buy the $99 thing as an investment for the future. See, future proofing.

Kieran Jeffery

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
It's a phone ppl... This continuum stuff isn't there to replace a computer, just simply be used in emergencies and whatnot. Maybe the x70's and x80's might get there...

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
app switching is instant and seems like they don't even get "backgrounded" my guess is they ran out of time coding this for the event, I see no reason not to include windows snapping at the very least, if the phone can already run 2 apps simultaneously(own screen+external) I wonder how a 3rd can affect it at all

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte