The next step for continnum to be a game changer

JuanCruzArg

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Watching continnum video demos I realized many things. But the most important thought I got was the question: what does continnum need to do to be a game changer? And then I realized this?

Continuum can be a game changer, but it will need these things to happen:

1) Improve how it works in new ways. So that it can work like wireless connected to network attached smart TVs (the same way tubecast app can directly cast video to my smart TV wiressly). Make it work hardware-less. So that it can be user everywhere you can connect to a smart TV.-
2) Improve quantity and quality of ?universal windows apps?. So than the user can get to work better and get things done faster working in a bigger screen for the smartphone.-
3) Improve cortana functionality. So that the user can get to work more easy and get things done without a keyboard and mouse.-
4) The sum of 3 and 4. Get Cortana to work with windows apps, so that the user can get to control apps with voice commands.-

Those are my thoughts. What I believe to be the things that MS needs to happen to be successful. What I don?t know is how Google and Apple will react to this. Apple is a specific devices company, difficult to see making a copy of continnum, however it could happen and if it does, will get better working apps to this function than MS. Google is more likely to copy and add a continnum-like function to its next android os.-

What do you think??

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I doubt that there will be much competition from Google or Apple. Maybe Google at the most. I sincerely believe that Apple no longer possess the technological capability of merging iOS and Mac OS X, which would be needed for a Continuum clone to work. Google doesn't really have a desktop presence, but their Chrome OS could possibly be shoehorned into Android with some work.

But they have to, as I see Continuum replacing many people's desktops. All they need is a powerful phone that they can plug into a monitor or laptop kit, and places like public libraries could roll them out for people to work on. Companies can roll them out to ensure that employees who work at home are using secured devices. Heck, long term Continuum could integrate into Hololens and even further on all you'd need is a biometric implant.

That last one is a little far-fetched (maybe a smartwatch first), but the point is, Windows 10 is flexible enough to handle whatever the future holds, and if Apple and Google ignore Continuum they may get stuck scrambling to copy it while their marketshare plummets.

hkhawaja

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
The next game changer, in my opinion, will be when the rumored surface phone surfaces :) and allows x86 based apps to be run from the phone. That will usher in the full PC-like experience. The current continuum seems to be a logical first step in this whole picture.

Already we have seen the top notch hardware, including liquid cooling to keep things running nice and cool, imagine running Steam based games, win32 apps, universal apps, Cortana etc. Lets hope it's not just a dream :grin:

gadgetebz

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering about uses for Continiuum and was thinking couldn`t it be used with a Remote Desktop APP or VPN to run full Windows Applications from a remote computer or server. So if you are in another room or another country you can use your phone to output to the locally connected Monitor or BIG TV? Playing a Steam Game via remote desktop from the phone output via Continniuum could have been impressive. you could connect game controllers a mouse and keyboard to play...

Also as XBOX will be using windows 10 couldn`t we play XBOX games in the same way if you have fast Internet etc..

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
As for point 1, it already works with miracast and bluetooth keyboard/mouse, or using phone as the keyboard/mouse. Technically speaking, the continuum dock isn't needed. Though, it would likely give the best experience.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Project Westminster is a way for web apps to be loaded via the store, not Win32 apps. Project Centennial basically just allows distribution of legacy apps via the Windows Store, not as a Universal App.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb