Updating from 8.1 (last updated 5/5/2014) to Windows 10, can I just update the media tool?

william north

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
updating from 8.1 (last updated 5/5/2014) to windows 10

I have a hp probook 4540s running an old version of windows 8.1 because if I try windows doesn't boot back up and I have to then recover. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can just update using the media tool with out hurting anything.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: updating from 8.1 (last updated 5/5/2014) to windows 10

I have a hp probook 4540s running an old version of windows 8.1 because if I try windows doesn't boot back up and I have to then recover. I was wondering if anyone knows if I can just update using the media tool with out hurting anything.

I don't believe you can - Windows 10 requires certain updates before it can install. If you run the media tool, the first thing the update does is check for critical Windows updates, apply them, restart, and then continue the update process. If your system fails booting after those updates, you would likely be in the same boat.

My recommendation is to find out why you cannot apply those updates now. It may involve backing up your data and re-installing Windows 8.1 clean - applying all the updates, then upgrading to Windows 10. Once upgraded, restore your data and software.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: updating from 8.1 (last updated 5/5/2014) to windows 10

You can use the Media tool. If you are having some issues, perhaps uninstall any anti-virus before the upgrade. Sometimes drivers also cause problems.

Note that it sounds like the Audio driver may not be available and may not work in Windows 10 for that model laptop so perhaps wait a month and investigate again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium