Contiuum dock $99... and people are complaining?!

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I noticed after the announcement of the $99 launch price for the Continuum dock there were some people who complained. My question is have these people gone out and priced similar hardware? The dock for the Dell Venue 8 Pro is third party hardware with no official support and long after it's launch the big bulky box is selling for $89.

Why would anyone think a refined, USB C, compact, officially supported box would sell for $50 at launch or better yet given away for free? What am I missing?

To me if you can't pony up $99 at launch or perhaps $50 a year after launch this device isn't for you. If you are going to use this for more than a mere curiosity $99 is reasonable.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Given its core function it's really to cut off the price of the phone itself, if the continuum function in the 950XL didn't require a dock we would have seen it cost around $980.00...

Implement

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Continuum doesn't require a dock.

You can use Miracast and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

You can buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse tether, without Miracast..

There are lots of ways to use Continuum without the dock, the dock just adds all the options in one package,

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I noticed after the announcement of the $99 launch price for the Continuum dock there were some people who complained. My question is have these people gone out and priced similar hardware? The dock for the Dell Venue 8 Pro is third party hardware with no official support and long after it's launch the big bulky box is selling for $89.

Why would anyone think a refined, USB C, compact, officially supported box would sell for $50 at launch or better yet given away for free? What am I missing?

To me if you can't pony up $99 at launch or perhaps $50 a year after launch this device isn't for you. If you are going to use this for more than a mere curiosity $99 is reasonable.

Plugable Pro8 has more ports, is $10 cheaper, and even comes with adapters.

"Add an extra DVI, VGA, or HDMI display up to 1080p (DVI-to-VGA and DVI-to-HDMI adapters included, HDMI is video only), 10/100 Ethernet RJ-45, 3.5mm stereo headphone/speaker and mic jacks, and 4 USB 2.0 high-speed ports."

Also, is the Contiuum dock compatible with all WM10 phones, or just the 950 and 950XL?

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Lol. Don't hurt your back moving those goal posts. The Plugable Pro8 is gigantic! I thought all you guys were complaining about Continuum because you need a weight belt to carry the dock around?

"Add an extra DVI, VGA, or HDMI display up to 1080p (DVI-to-VGA and DVI-to-HDMI adapters included, HDMI is video only), 10/100 Ethernet RJ-45, 3.5mm stereo headphone/speaker and mic jacks, and 4 USB 2.0 high-speed ports."

Yes because when I hold my phone in my hand the one thing I think is, I hope they come out with a bigger Continuum dock with a microphone, speaker, and mic jack.

The Plugable Pro8 is huge, uses old technology, uses third party hardware, and has been on the market forever and it is still $89. The Continuum dock's launch price is only $10 more. When the Continuum dock has been around for a couple of years it will still be more technologically advanced but it will cost less. Continuum is a software/hardware solution that is designed to work seamlessly from the ground up. The Plugable Pro8 is a bunch of third party stuff kludged together.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Lol. Don't hurt your back moving those goal posts. The Plugable Pro8 is gigantic! I thought all you guys were complaining about Continuum because you need a weight belt to carry the dock around?

Yes because when I hold my phone in my hand the one thing I think is, I hope they come out with a bigger Continuum dock with a microphone, speaker, and mic jack.

The Plugable Pro8 is huge, uses old technology, uses third party hardware, and has been on the market forever and it is still $89. The Continuum dock's launch price is only $10 more. When the Continuum dock has been around for a couple of years it will still be more technologically advanced but it will cost less. Continuum is a software/hardware solution that is designed to work seamlessly from the ground up. The Plugable Pro8 is a bunch of third party stuff kludged together.

Are you going to be carrying these docks around in your pocket or something? Who cares if it's huge if it has more ports? 4 USB ports vs 3, Ethernet, headphone and mic jacks, DVI, VGA. It's also compatible with a wide range of devices, whereas the Continuum dock is only compatible with the 950 and 950XL. And it's cheaper too.

Looks like the third-party guys are doing it better than Microsoft, gotta give them credit where it's due.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you going to be carrying these docks around in your pocket or something?

Wait you guys were all complaining because a dock was just too big and heavy to carry around and now you are cracking wise because it is small enough to fit in a pocket? So which is it? Is it too big or too small? Pick a side so we can argue properly.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, not that I've complained any since I'm not in the market for one. But you can get full windows 10 on an hdmi stick for $25ish more. That sounds more functional, portable and value for money than a dock.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, not that I've complained any since I'm not in the market for one. But you can get full windows 10 on an hdmi stick for $25ish more. That sounds more functional, portable and value for money than a dock.

How come you don't want to accept that continuum can work without a dock?

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Call me old-fashioned, but I just prefer to keep on topic when I comment. My point was just a response to the OP and his reasons for posting. How come you can't accept that?

You were complaining about the cost of the dock, to wit: "That sounds more functional, portable and value for money than a dock." Just letting you know you don't need one to use continuum.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Wait you guys were all complaining because a dock was just too big and heavy to carry around and now you are cracking wise because it is small enough to fit in a pocket? So which is it? Is it too big or too small? Pick a side so we can argue properly.

Who's complaining exactly? I'm certainly not complaining about the size of the Plugable Pro8. Listing the compact size of the Continuum dock as a benefit, when it's lacking in a number of ports in comparison, is a self-defeating argument. You're the one who needs to learn how to propose proper arguments here, your statement above didn't even have a relevant point, just seemed like a bunch of nonsensical dribble to distract from the fact that the Continuum dock is more expensive than the Plugable Pro8, only works with two devices, and has way less ports.

But sure, it's smaller in size, so it's got that going for it.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Well from my point of view when I saw that price I was like.. " Well, $100? for a beautified box with connectors.. Lol smells like Apple.. Well okay they would probably price it 50-100% more, but still :D

However I don't complaint.. Prices are what they are.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
We can understand why it would cost that much, but a random person who would feel inspired by it (maybe by commercials) would be like "Wut??" After seeing the price for a box of connectors.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
whereas the Continuum dock is only compatible with the 950 and 950XL

I have no official quote from Microsoft to back this up but I feel sure that this dock will work with any device that supports continuum. ASUS has a phone coming I think and it might even apply to W10 tablets.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Who's complaining exactly?

Plenty of people. Read the forum. They keep complaining about how it is impossible to carry the little Continuum dock around because it is heavy or they have scoliosis or something.

I'm certainly not complaining about the size of the Plugable Pro8. Listing the compact size of the Continuum dock as a benefit, when it's lacking in a number of ports in comparison, is a self-defeating argument.

Yeah it is "lacking" a VGA port! Lol! Seriously you want MSFT to make a gigantic brick so two people out there can use a VGA port?

Do you know why the gigantic Plugable Pro8 has an audio port? It's because the HDMI port doesn't carry audio! So you want MSFT to make a gigantic device, disable audio on HDMI, and compensate by putting another port on the Continuum dock and then you will feel it is "worth it"?

You're the one who needs to learn how to propose proper arguments here, your statement above didn't even have a relevant point, just seemed like a bunch of nonsensical dribble to distract from the fact that the Continuum dock is more expensive than the Plugable Pro8, only works with two devices, and has way less ports.

You are the one arguing for HDMI with no audio, a VGA port and eliminating Displayport. Why not argue for a parallel printer port and a serial mouse port while you are at it? Ooohh... look! The shiny box is bigger and has more ports on it it must be better!

FYI the audio port doesn't work in Windows 10. Lol! Look it has more dysfunctional ports.

And where do you get this nonsense that the Continuum dock works with only two devices? It hasn't even shipped yet. I haven't seen anything stating that it is locked to only two devices? Sounds like you are making that up.

One thing that is particularly devious about the "only works with two devices" statement is it implies the Plugable Pro8 works with a ton of different devices. Well a quick look at the manufacture's website shows most of the devices it works with are simply variants of the Dell Venue 8 Pro. It kind of works with other devices and some of those reports are user reports. Those devices are not tested or guaranteed to work by the manufacturer. Yes all that uncertainty and half backed "compatibility" and features being broken by OS updates for $89... or you could have 100% compatibility and MSFT support for $10 more at launch. Again, is someone putting out a comparable product for $20 or free?

The Plugable Pro8 was designed to work with the Dell Venue 8 Pro. If it happens to kind of work with some other tablets until an OS update breaks ports that is just a happy coincidence. How anyone can argue that is a better deal is beyond me. A bunch of ancient legacy ports that can be soldered to a breadboard for a nickel a piece doesn't make up for a half baked HDMI port, no displayport and no USB C. The Plugable Pro8 is a collection of cheap half functional legacy ports being sold for $89 by a third party hardware manufacturer. Sorry. For that price I need cutting edge ports and compact size and full MSFT support.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Plenty of people. Read the forum. They keep complaining about how it is impossible to carry the little Continuum dock around because it is heavy or they have scoliosis or something.

That's a stupid argument, and anyone who propagates that argument is stupid. A dock by nature sits on a desk 99.9% of its lifespan, who the heck is complaining about the portability of a dock, and why is this even considered a valid argument?

Yeah it is "lacking" a VGA port! Lol! Seriously you want MSFT to make a gigantic brick so two people out there can use a VGA port?

Try again:
- Four USB 2.0 high speed ports.
- DVI-I video output
- 10/100 RJ45 Ethernet network connection
- Front 3.5mm headphone/speaker output
- Microphone input

Don't bash a product when you don't even know its specifications, it just makes you look ignorant and uninformed.

And last I checked, four USB ports > two USB ports. I'd argue that people would want four USB ports over two USB ports any day, especially on a dock.

And where do you get this nonsense that the Continuum dock works with only two devices? It hasn't even shipped yet. I haven't seen anything stating that it is locked to only two devices? Sounds like you are making that up.

My god, you really need to do some basic Googling before spouting more uninformed garbage.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/accessory/hd-500/specifications/

"To use the accessory, you need a Windows 10 Microsoft Lumia phone with Continuum and a USB-C™ connector supporting DisplayPort video output."

^ Point in case, how many Windows 10 Lumia phones with Continuum and USB-C are coming out in the next few weeks? Only two that everyone knows of: the 950 and 950 XL.

One thing that is particularly devious about the "only works with two devices" statement is it implies the Plugable Pro8 works with a ton of different devices. Well a quick look at the manufacture's website shows most of the devices it works with are simply variants of the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Wrong again. Did you even look at the site that you linked? Here's the list of devices that have been tested and working with the dock:
- ASUS VivoTab Smart 10.1 ME400C
- Dell Venue 8 Pro 3000
- Dell Venue 8 Pro 5000
- DigiLand DL801W
- Hipstreet W7
- HP Stream 7
- HP Stream 8
- Lenovo IdeaTab Miix 2 8"
- Nextbook 8
- Teclast X98 Air II
- Toshiba Encore Mini

They are not "variants of the Dell Venue 8 Pro" as you ignorantly spewed. The only variant of the Dell Venue 8 Pro on the list is the 3000 and 5000. All the other devices were created by different manufacturers.

What devices does the Continuum dock support? That's right, only Lumia devices. Call you tell me how many manufacturers make Lumia devices please? Because that's the number of manufacturers the Continuum dock supports.

The Plugable Pro8 was designed to work with the Dell Venue 8 Pro. If it happens to kind of work with some other tablets until an OS update breaks ports that is just a happy coincidence. How anyone can argue that is a better deal is beyond me. A bunch of ancient legacy ports that can be soldered to a breadboard for a nickel a piece doesn't make up for a half baked HDMI port, no displayport and no USB C. The Plugable Pro8 is a collection of cheap half functional legacy ports being sold for $89 by a third party hardware manufacturer. Sorry. For that price I need cutting edge ports and compact size and full MSFT support.

Here's why the Pro8 dock is better, as a dock:
- 4 USB ports vs 2 USB ports.
- Audio and ethernet ports.
- Wide range of support among many manufacturers and devices (instead of just two devices).
- Cheaper, too.

Also, by nature the Pro8 dock is better because it's a simple extension of Windows devices that run full Windows, whereas the Continuum dock is just for Windows 10 phones. You can't even have multiple windows opened at the same time on Continuum... what an epic fail.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
- Wide range of support among many manufacturers and devices (instead of just two devices).

Stop posting this BS. The Plugable Pro8 isn't fully compatible with ANY windows 10 device. You install Windows 10 and the audio port doesn't work on any device. The Plugable Pro8 is not designed manufactured nor endorsed by MSFT nor Dell nor any other major windows OEM. And yet it is $89.

And please stop posting this nonsense about the Continuum dock only being compatible with two devices. It isn't even out yet and there is no indication it is going to be locked to only two phones. Before the Plugable8 Pro was launched there were no promises that it would work with anything other than the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

- Audio and ethernet ports.

You've been told multiple times the audio port is nonfunctional under windows 10. Please stop listing it as a feature. It is instead an embarrassment.

The bottom line is the Plugable Pro8 is big bulky and it has ports that don't work. One of the killer apps with the Continuum dock is the ability to go up to any modern TV and be able to watch Netflix, Hulu, and Youtube. You can't do that with the gigantic Plugable Pro8. So that kills that $89 paperweight for me and most consumers... at least as a mobile media consumption option. Four USB ports don't do me any good when all I want to do is watch a video with audio.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss