Windows 10 Continuum Dilemma

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Continuum on the flagships is just the beginning. Where it will really get interesting is when the feature eventually trickles down to the low end devices. Just imagine, a PC in your pocket for EVERYONE ;)

StarrWulfe

Aug 29, 2002
j7.textamerica.com
Understand that most hotel rooms have an HDTV with an HDMI port free on the back of it, and many PCs in places like libraries and schools have monitors with HDMI ports as well.

Then there are times personally that I travel and don't want to take my laptop along, (like vacations or visiting relatives) but I will tote my smartphone. They have a TV around, so I may as well bring the dock since its really small.

The other thing I'm thinking is what would preclude someone into making a laptop-dock accessory like the Moto Atrix or Asus Padfone had? It would be dead simple to make and could be universal since all that is needed is an HDMI and USB connection via USB-C. How about a car dock?

This is just the beginning....

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
You guys are missing out on some critical points.

Continuum doesn't require a full setup! They mentioned during the event that the phone itself can be used as a trackpad and for typing. You only need the dock and a monitor, no keyboard/mouse necessary. When you're on a business trip, you bring the dock and your phone, and you can hook up to the TV. If you really want a full keyboard, you'd have a bluetooth one to use on other devices anyways.

The real reason to choose Continuum over a usb-pc is having a screen when you're on the go! The PC sticks REQUIRE a monitor/tv if you want to use the apps on it. With Continuum, you can hop on the train during your morning commute and keep working!

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You guys are missing out on some critical points.

Continuum doesn't require a full setup! They mentioned during the event that the phone itself can be used as a trackpad and for typing. You only need the dock and a monitor, no keyboard/mouse necessary. When you're on a business trip, you bring the dock and your phone, and you can hook up to the TV. If you really want a full keyboard, you'd have a bluetooth one to use on other devices anyways.

I don't see why a cheap USB-C to HDMI adapter won't work also...

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think I just invented this:
View attachment 114190

All you need is a USB-C cable snaking to a Lumina 950 and you're good!*

*though it should also have more USB ports, HDMI and/or Displayport, maybe a SD card slot, and an internal battery that can recharge the phone. Would be nice if it used USB-C to charge also then you could use the same charger for your phone, and hook everything up daisy-chain style to charge the phone and laptop simultaneously.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
All you need is a USB-C cable snaking to a Lumina 950 and you're good!*

*though it should also have more USB ports, HDMI and/or Displayport, maybe a SD card slot, and an internal battery that can recharge the phone. Would be nice if it used USB-C to charge also then you could use the same charger for your phone, and hook everything up daisy-chain style to charge the phone and laptop simultaneously.

asus-padfone-x-keyboard.jpg
Now I'm just waiting for Asus to make this for W10M with their Padfone series! :D

Anyways, If I remember correctly Continuum for W10M can be used with Miracast plus with Bluetooth keyboard and mouse too. They should've demoed this during the Microsoft Device event, not just a dock. I think Continuum on wireless would be better for presentation and marketing. I think Lumia 950 and 950 XL can do that too. Here is the Acer Jade Primo demo with wireless Continuum: https://youtu.be/r2jCkZpwBYI?t=1m5s

Now about the issue about W10M Continuum is that its not anything near to PC-like experience, its more like dumbed down Windows RT experience which you can't even snapped apps. Currently based on the demo, apps doesn't run inside the window over the actual desktop and worst is there isn't any Snap feature at all, means multitasking is a very basic level (even Windows 1.0 can run apps side by side). Drag-and-Drop is also a major feature missing which is a basic task taken for granted.

For now W10M Continuum is only good for single task activity mainly for Office apps, current concept is just to run UWP with desktop/tablet UI which is still better. Great concept and a nice start but still long way in terms of Desktop-level productivity and usefulness, so it short its generally half-baked atm. We're not sure when they gonna update it, its either only on Redstone or maybe there will be "TH3"-like update.

Petru Moldovan

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
View attachment 114146

We just need something like this compatible with Continuum.
This is not Continuum, this is "Project my Phone" - which works even in Windows 8.1. And this and other variations of docking the phone inside a device disables its main function - to work as a phone.

When an Snapdragon808-like phone will cost around $100 (2 years from now ?) Continuum will be a solution for poor countries.

For now I see it rather as a better alternative than carrying a laptop if you own a 950/950XL and you need mainly mail, Office, PDF, Remote Desktop and Web browsing, at least when you are on vacation. And if you keep a dock at office and one at home you can make the phone your single PC.

Last edited:

Nuno Moz

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi, Here are my disadvantages of Continuum for Phones alone as they are at the moment. Let's not drag in the LTE for free conversation as that is not Continuum, that is to sweet something. You only need to sweet something when ... well you know, when its not sweet enough.

If you want the Lumia 950, by all means buy it. But my list of disadvantages are not concerned about how much you like Lumia's and MS. They are cold blooded like a smart doer ...

1) At the moment the cost of enjoying continuum ascends to $800 - $900. And that is even using the cr?me de la cr?me accessories to make it work.
2) It the least portable computing solution of the decade. At least you need to add the weight of taking the keyboard and the mouse. Not to forget you need to find a suitable TV with Miracast, Otherwise add to the bag the dock or some other accessory that allows you to connect.
3) You can't use it everywhere like you can with a laptop. You need space to put the keyboard and the mouse, not to mention the external TV or Monitor. So forget trains, forget planes, caf?s and parks, vacations?
4) It's not a PC even though it offers a Windows 10 like experience. In other words it's lacking in apps.

Now you may argue that you already have a Bluetooth keyboard, Bluetooth mouse and an External Monitor (With integrated Miracast) laying around that you don't use much, so all you need is to buy the flagship Microsoft smartphone and you are set. Good for you!

For the rest, if the processing power of a Lumia 950 is enough for work, for sure the Surface 3 is enough. Buy a cheaper phone, say $200. For the same price you have a much better computing experience and more portability.

There is only one problem. You got to have that latest and the greatest of the Microsoft smartphones in the market. But you know what? That has nothing to do with doing more, smart doers or whatever. If it did not had Continuum you probably would buy it anyway.

For me I would buy the Lumia 950 if it worked better with a Windows 10 PC then any other,. Yet at the moment, that is not the reality. The reality is that it works with a Windows 10 PC or XBOX One just like any other smartphone if not worst. If the situation change, I might, I might,. But right now?

There is not cost effective or feature set reason to do so. Emotional reasons? Maybe. But that is just it.

Last edited:

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1) At the moment the cost of enjoying continuum ascends to $800 - $900. And that is even using the cr?me de la cr?me accessories to make it work.
2) It the least portable computing solution of the decade. At least you need to add the weight of taking the keyboard and the mouse. Not to forget you need to find a suitable TV with Miracast, Otherwise add to the bag the dock or some other accessory that allows you to connect.
3) You can't use it everywhere like you can with a laptop. You need space to put the keyboard and the mouse, not to mention the external TV or Monitor. So forget trains, forget planes, caf?s and parks, vacations?

1. An iPhone and MacBook cost far more than a 950 and needed accessories. Hell, even a decent Android phone and a respectable laptop will cost more
2. You can get many configurations of keyboard and mice that can be pretty compact and portable, right down to keyboard pants. But a folding keyboard and travel mouse will suffice for most people.
3. That can be offset by having everything you need right on your phone at all times, but I expect that at or shortly after launch there will be Laptop kits that you just plug your phone right into. Frankly I'm surprised that Microsoft didn't announce one at launch, but I suppose they were too busy with the Surface books/tablets to build one.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I tried so many times to see how does continuum actually help me be more productive while being mobile, so i tried to simulate the experience in my head, and i couldn't really see it, if there is someone here who can help see this please do.

up until now, this is the only way i see my self using it:

Locations where i can actually hook my mobile (assuming I'm carrying the doc all the time).

1- Home TV. and most probably i will have to buy a new keyboard and mouse.
2- Home office - where if i do not have a set up already, i will need to buy a screen, keyboard, and mouse.
3- Clients HDMI Projector - where most probably there will be no mouse and keyboard laying around, and i wont be carrying those for sure.
4- Airport - not possible
5- anywhere with no TV/ screen - not possible

then i came to the conclusion, if this is for "countries that mobile might be their only device". why the HELL would he invest in a $550 smartphone, and a $100 dock? not to mention the new screen, keyboard and mouse. :S :S

for $650, he could buy a very good laptop - Surface pro 3/ Surface 3 where he can really work like a boss.

seriously i thought this was an amazing feature, but now when i really want to buy it and use it.... i see no practical use for it...

if anyone thinks i am being unreasnable, shout out a reply. maybe i can get my head around this.

Microsoft are living in their own la la land....

I definitely think you are being unreasonable so I'm shouting out a reply. First off, I don't know where you are trying to go with this. Are you suggesting that MS remove continuum and stop all development just because you can't see a use for it? How about not using it at all? Heck, you don't even need to buy the phones, but if you do, you'll know that your phone is really worth it--its got the power to run a different screen, true multitasking power like a boss, etc. Your phone can do tricks iPhone or Galaxy can't.

Is it about the ecosystem? You wan't MS to stop continuum development because you want developers to concentrate on making phone apps and desktop apps separately? Thats very myopic thinking. The idea of an app platform that can scale up or down depending on the size of the screen is the holy grail for developers if you ask me.

I agree that the multitasking side still needs work, but theres no reason to think that with a bit of work, we can eventually get the multitasking down to what it is on an actual desktop.

But your most likely motivation seems to be that you're just disappointed that you have to shell out $100 for the dock. Well, tough luck.

Nowadays though, for many people, the phone is their only computer. [I remember the outrage over some iPhones getting bricked when they tried to update it to iOS 9. The solution was to plug it to your computer and patch it through iTunes. It caused quite an uproar because it turns out, many of those affected didn't have a mac or pc, lol, but thats a different story] This phone is for people who can only own a phone to the exclusion of a laptop or a computer.

On being productive on the go, for the employer, I think this means that an employee can just seamlessly work from the desk to being on the go. One moment you're typing out an email on the computer, then when you have to go, there is no need to make sure that your data and files are in your laptop, or if you're uploading/downloading something, it would get inerrupted, just pick up your phone and go. Seamless, just like that.

You get home, plop on your couch and surf the web from your TV with all your Edge tabs open as you left them or watch some PerfectTUbe vids I saved for offline use using the office's wifi ;)

None of this means that you've got to buy the dock. Thats why its optional.

Just think of it in terms of the iPhone. Remember when that came out, it had a tiny screen that everyone had a hard time typing on, no copy paste, no apps, no video, no 3G, it was severely limited in every way. It was crap, but it captured the imagination like no other to apple and non apple fans alike. Well, I never fell for the iPhone, nevertheless, it got to where it is today because it captured the imagination, people saw it as a real computer that you can do stuff on. So here we are, its a post PC world, everything that matters is on the phone--continuum is a logical extension. That's all there is, whether you choose to extend your phone to the place where your desktop used to be depend on your needs and wants. As for me, I'm ready to have my phone replace my PC as it is. The demos did show the phone capably alt+tabbing through apps, and for me, that's pretty great. Definitely an improvement over my ipad mini.

Regarding the price, that's definitely a bummer for the 3rd world, it isn't for them yet, so chill. But as mentioned, this will trickle down.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
...... I don't know where you are trying to go with this. Are you suggesting that MS remove continuum and stop all development just because you can't see a use for it? ......

I am saying that i do not see a clear direction from Microsoft on the topic, Continuum is great, the implementation is not very practical.
for the below reason.

....... But your most likely motivation seems to be that you're just disappointed that you have to shell out $100 for the dock. Well, tough luck.

Nop, you are assuming something wrong.... find below reason.

On being productive on the go, for the employer, I think this means that an employee can just seamlessly work from the desk to being on the go. One moment you're typing out an email on the computer, then when you have to go, there is no need to make sure that your data and files are in your laptop, or if you're uploading/downloading something, it would get inerrupted, just pick up your phone and go. Seamless, just like that.

You get home, plop on your couch and surf the web from your TV with all your Edge tabs open as you left them or watch some PerfectTUbe vids I saved for offline use using the office's wifi ;)

Great ad.... but the most annoying thing is the reason below.

Regarding the price, that's definitely a bummer for the 3rd world, it isn't for them yet, so chill. But as mentioned, this will trickle down.

Although i live in a "3rd world" but luckly it happens to be Qatar... and i don't think the price really matters.

The Reason below:

To benefit from continuum, you will need pre-setup locations, that at least has accessibility to a screen.

and i think i can safely assume that:

1) people at work don't have extra screens - ex. i work on my laptop, and the most of the company i work in have desktop PCs... will the company scrap their desktops for anyone to use continuum? no.

2) people at home have TVs, amazing place to have continuum. but "at home" is not really being mobile, specially if you cant use your phone at work first place.

3) Clients offices, yes this is actually a great place to hook continuum and present a pdf or a ppt..... and that's almost it....

locations that have accessibility to screens are very limited. so you are not actually buying a phone here, or even a dock, you have to buy setups, at different locations.

or just do the smart thing and buy a laptop.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I am saying that i do not see a clear direction from Microsoft on the topic, Continuum is great, the implementation is not very practical.

The best and most innovating things never come out if you just try to mire yourself in a sea of practicality...

That said I still think continuum is very practical.

The problem with your thinking is that you are trying to fit continuum into the mold of a laptop while in fact you should be thinking of it in terms of something that could power a desktop.

In this sense, the original topic starter was more reasonable in comparing continuum to one of those stick PCs. Hence I still think you are being unreasonable.

[/B]To benefit from continuum, you will need pre-setup locations, that at least has accessibility to a screen.

and i think i can safely assume that:

1) people at work don't have extra screens - ex. i work on my laptop, and the most of the company i work in have desktop PCs... will the company scrap their desktops for anyone to use continuum? no.

Possibly yes. It doesn't have to be now, at least not until my company acquires or makes the software (read: apps) that we need to run the business.

Perhaps you should also look to the Acer Jade Primo. They are marketing it as a business solution, so it comes with a dock, mouse and keyboard.

I can also think of other case scenarios where it would be better to just carry around a phone rather than a laptop. College professors, lecturers, reviewers can benefit from this when they need to make use of Powerpoint presentations. Yes, they'd probably have to buy their own phones but that isn't to say that these phones aren't good enough to buy on their own

locations that have accessibility to screens are very limited. so you are not actually buying a phone here, or even a dock, you have to buy setups, at different locations.

I get it you are concerned about the capital outlay but I think that this outlay is very reasonable even if you are just going to use it for personal use. Alternatively, you can plan the devices you carry based on the purpose of your trip and knowledge of available infrastructure or hardware. If you need to run autoCAD or photoshop, then yes, bring your laptop, but if you are just going to present a lecture, to a place you know has a projector, just bring your phone and your dock (or if there is no miracast).

Definitely, a person who needs a laptop should get a laptop. But you don't need all that power all the time and the decline in PC sales shows that and the number of people who use phones as their "only computer". Maybe with this phone, they can dig out that old monitor and use a computer again with this PC like experience.

Note that for the ordinary person, a low power solution is enough, thats why chromebooks are so popular. All you ever need is the brower anyway. Perhaps for home use, this can be seen as an "Edge-book".

Yes, you MAY need a bit of capital outlay, but that isn't unreasonable.

Also, think of the scenario that continuum actually catches on and google and apple copy it or Windows mobile market share increases. Hmmm... A lot more places are going to get screens for public use pretty soon.

Let me just end with a quote from a recent article on Tech Crunch:

Microsoft now makes phones that can be PCs, tablets that can be laptops, and laptops that can be tablets. All running the same operating system. Pick your poison; they are serving it.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I can also think of other case scenarios where it would be better to just carry around a phone rather than a laptop. College professors, lecturers, reviewers can benefit from this when they need to make use of Powerpoint presentations. Yes, they'd probably have to buy their own phones but that isn't to say that these phones aren't good enough to buy on their own

Except, it is not "just a phone" they need. They need to carry a separate keyboard and a mouse, a miracast stick, or the continuum dock (if the monitor is not compatible with wireless sync).
After you carry all these, you might as well just carry a tablet with a keyboard attachment.

Besides, I am not sure which University you went to, but in most universities, they already have a desktop computer available which lecturers can use their USB stick to do their presentation.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Except, it is not "just a phone" they need. They need to carry a separate keyboard and a mouse, a miracast stick, or the continuum dock (if the monitor is not compatible with wireless sync).
After you carry all these, you might as well just carry a tablet with a keyboard attachment.

Besides, I am not sure which University you went to, but in most universities, they already have a desktop computer available which lecturers can use their USB stick to do their presentation.

Exactly what i am trying to explain. Its a hustle.... and we currently have a solution for it...called the laptop.

btw, wouldn't connecting you mobile to for example the university's computer work as a USB stick? and just run the ppt file from the computer?

I was pretty excited honestly, but all this continuum suddenly felt like meh to me.

Personally, the only way i find continuum applicable is to watch things on my TV, youtube or netflex or something. which i currently do through my PS4.

side note: ps4 youtube app is the best youtube app you can find. for some reason it streams very fast, i am not sure if they use some sort of special tech there, but you should try it.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Bbbb

How come you don't want to acknowledge that continuum can work without a keyboard and mouse? Weight of the dock is negligible compared to a laptop. And the professors i am referring to are from the Philippines (yes, I am from a 3rd world country and continuum, is admittedly, something we can use). These professors prefer to bring their own laptops for presentations rather than stick a usb in the drive, some for security reasons, others cause they don't wanna get malware.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad