Could Google Apps REALLY be coming?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It would be interesting, as it would prove Google fans wrong, most of whom insist that the ONLY reason Google isn't bringing their apps to WP/WM is its poor market share. As it currently stands, WP/WM now has even less market share than when that argument's popularity was at its height.

Anyway, I have no idea. I'm sceptical. I'll have to see it to believe it. MS having conceded the smartphone app market (Astoria and Islandwood) to its competitors would certainly make it easier for Google to get on board. If I were Google, and MS promised me that Astoria and Islandwood would be made available for free to anyone who wants it, I'd get on board. If I were Microsoft, I wouldn't do that.

Will be interesting to watch...

Either way, I don't think Waze would count as one of Google's core apps. I'm thinking more Gmail, Calendar, YouTube and Maps.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
They absolutely need to show that their ecosystem (Google's services) are platform agnostic...picking 3 ecosystems goes a long way instead of shutting out 1 specific competitor (WM) while allowing a larger one access (Apple).

It will be interesting if true!

The real question in my mind is if they'd integrate/embrace Cortana, or only allow a ported Google Now app (or no voice asst at all.)

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
No. It was just a baseless rumor. Google has a strategic interest in keeping Windows Mobile crippled. Their key apps are never, ever coming.

I'm not sure if they won't bring their apps ever, because I can see people using Windows 8-10 have to sign up for MS account & many of them are embracing it, it would be a loss for google in long term because personal info/interests of users will go to MS who doesn't have anything to lose in that area while Google has everything to lose, without it they can't provide you proper ads. If I'm a Google, I would bring apps after seeing Windows 10 surpassing significant userbase as now it's not Mobile alone, it's PC, too.

Yahoo brought its mail app, may be someday we'll see Google doing the same.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Honestly this would be the one thing that would solidify my staying with Windows Phone. I love the phone OS in every way but miss some of my google stuff. Android was OK but the google integration was the thing that made it a usable platform for me. I know that Microsoft has pretty good replacements but I still prefer what Google has to offer. If you get native Google apps and improve the app gap situation things could change quickly. Microsoft has a real chance to enter the enterprise market strong. Too many business users are entrenched in the Google ecosystem and some native Google app access would go a long way here.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
No. It was just a baseless rumor. Google has a strategic interest in keeping Windows Mobile crippled. Their key apps are never, ever coming.

If they want to intentionally cripple WM, why do they still have Google search app? Out of all of their apps, Google Search is their most key app.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If they want to intentionally cripple WM, why do they still have Google search app? Out of all of their apps, Google Search is their most key app.
the Google search app on windows phone hasn't been updated in years. It doesn't even have Google Now.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

I think "never, ever" is a bit too strong. They've settled their lawsuits and Google is trying to NOT look anti-competitive. It could happen.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think "never, ever" is a bit too strong. They've settled their lawsuits and Google is trying to NOT look anti-competitive. It could happen.

I wouldn't say "never" either.

I would say that Goole has no reason to stop kicking WP/WM however. Google invests hundreds of millions per quarter into Android development. Those investments must have returns, which are far easier to reap from people using Android devices. Google would be stupid to make it easier for people like cane prevost1 to stay with WP.

The only way that would change is if MS offers Google a deal they can't refuse. I have no idea what that could be, but I wouldn't say that's impossible.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
All I can say to this subject is.... LOL

Microsoft could put all their apps on Android but, google could care less and wont help Microsoft at all. It AIN'T going to happen...

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The thing that i like, and actually enjoy watching is..

How Google is trying to take over the bigger screens, with innovative solutions like the Chrome and Chromecast for example.

And how Microsoft is trying to take over the smaller screens, putting their services everywhere, continuum (you have a big screen, that can go mobile).

with the hope that both users jump ship what ever ship they are on.

It looks like two galaxies colliding.

Btw, I don't see anyone of them winning... i am pretty sure somewhere on the internet, people are have a reversed conversation of the one we are having.

PS. if i was Microsoft, i wouldn't have marketed the 950 as a mobile that can become a desktop....
I would have advertised it as the very small desktop that can go mobile.... sounds pretty neat the other way around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786