Would you buy a continuum laptop dock?

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Picture this:

...Basically looks like a thin 13" laptop with keyboard and trackpad.
Primary features:
  • has two USB-C ports, so that it can use the same charger as the phone and be connected to both to charge itself and the phone at the same time.
  • Has regular USB ports, of course
  • internal battery that can charge the phone when plugged in
Ideal bonuses:
  • can connect to the phone wirelessly
  • internal storage and extra ports like an SD card slot
  • HDMI and/or displayport out (would problably be limited to mirroring)
Cost: $200-$300. A quick search on Amazon has new 15" netbooks for just over $300, so a brainless 13" should be cheaper

I think something like this would be perfect for traveling, or even just to use as a regular PC. thoughts?

MarCou

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What are benefits of this compared to regular 13" PC? I must admit, I dont see any. If I need 13" PC, I will buy a 13" PC, not a brainless toy. If I want a toy I go to toy-store.

With 13" PC I got fully featured computer. With 13" doc I got a toy which is very restricted and have no apps and still takes same space in travelling bag.

What I can do with 13" doc that is unable to do with fully featured 13" PC?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

adamjoshuhill

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
This makes no sense, you were arguing that with Continuum all you need is your phone and that you don't need to carry around a laptop, in hotels, offices, at home and now you're proposing a laptop (sized) dock for your phone which you need to carry around with you, in hotels, offices at home? The irony

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
This makes no sense, you were arguing that with Continuum all you need is your phone and that you don't need to carry around a laptop, in hotels, offices, at home and now you're proposing a laptop (sized) dock for your phone which you need to carry around with you, in hotels, offices at home? The irony

Came in to say just this. The entire concept of Continuum for phones is that you don't / won't need to carry around anything but your phone. I'd rather have a tablet (Surface) if I needed more screen real estate while on the go.

Tony Jackson

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I really like this idea, I get that not carrying a laptop around with you is an advantage. But working on your phone on the go isn't very realistic. A laptop dock would be much lighter anyway I would assume. My main issue is that the current (desktop) dock implementation is, that it isn't very elegant. And having to plug into a laptop dock via cables isn't elegant either. This is where Apple wins every time. They make the user experience pleasurable, from the software to the hardware. I don't understand why MS can't latch on to this concept and make it a high priority.
I want a desktop dock I can just pop my phone into. As for a laptop dock, would it be possible to dock the phone as the track-pad?

It strikes me until these interface issues are addressed, wooing the masses is an up hill struggle. Less geek more chic.

That said. I'm no fan of Apple.

JoyfullJuneBug

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I hope the HP's Elite x3 is release this to consumers and not just enterprise customers. If it is I know I'll never buy another traditional laptop. it'll be my next device if the make the laptop dock in various sizes can't use anything under 15 inches I've never owned a laptop under 17 inches ideally they'd make some in that size range as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes