How do I stop Microsoft Edge from opening .pdfs?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Every time I try to click on a .pdf, Windows 10 tries to open it in Edge. Even when I set the default to, for example, Foxit, and the icons all change to match, that .pdf will open in Foxit, but the the next .pdf I click on after that one opens in Edge. I do not want to use Microsoft Edge for reading .pdfs, and repeatedly resetting the default in annoying.

lastoneavailable

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I see this question is two months old, but possibly a late response will help someone.

You need to change the default .pdf app. From the Start Menu choose settings, system, default apps. Near the bottom select "Choose default app by file type." Scroll down to .pdf and select the default .pdf viewer of your choice.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Alternatively you can use the right click context menu -> choose open with -> choose your app or find the .exe -> tick always use this app to open [insert file type in question here] files.

rbcameron

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
These methods do not stop the problem permanently. After a while Edge hijacks the .pdf association again.

I thought I had found a solution by following the procedure here: http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/edge-hijack-pdf-htm-associations/ However, today Edge hijacked the association, even though those changes were in my registry.

I've just tried another fix, which is to rename the key at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723, which Edge uses to associate with .pdf, to AppXd4nrz8ff68srnhf9t5a8sbjyar1cr723_ (that is, append an underscore). We'll see how long this fix lasts!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss