WM10 Camera vs Lumia Camera

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone compared performance of the default Camera app compared to the Lumia Camera app when running WM10?

With both apps, I have noticed that I can't launch the camera when the phone is locked. The phone just displays my lock screen image. I have to swipe up and close the camera app and re-launch it.

With the Lumia Camera app, it failed to launch or was slow to launch quite often. So today, I uninstalled it and will try the default Camera app.

Has anyone had any experiences or tips to get better performance?

Zuhaib Nazir

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I am Using Lumia 640 Xl, as far as i dont have dedicated Camera Button (so Cannot Checked that),
Camera quality is Way much Better in Lumia Camera App as compared to Windows 10 Camera

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
My Lumia 830 is running Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 with Lumia Denim while my Lumia 520 is running Windows 10 Mobile so it is not a fair comparison at all to compare those two phones. PureView with Lumia Camera 5? The 520 might as well have a third of a megapixel and take four hours to focus on a blank wall.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
On my 640, I wouldn't use Windows Camera :
* Rich Capture seems to work but you can't edit the picture (choose best lighting) --> pointless
* Windows Camera has a bug sine Day1 but Microsoft don't seem to want to fix it. When you play with the focus dial, you can't set it back to A (auto). it stays on M (manual). And you set focus to infinity, do something else and return to the camera, dial says infinity but the scene is out of focus. Have to dial down and up to infinity again.

So Lumia Camera all the way. It's not a coincidence, I think, if MS sets the default camera to LC so far.

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am using Lumia 640xl. After clicking three or four pictures, the camera app, whether its Lumia camera or windows camera, starts to display saving text and for the next 10-15 seconds you cannot use the camera! Is there any way to stop this? It's even happening in w10m ****81 build!
Apart from this, when you click on the circle showing the thumbnail of the last pic, it takes you to the photos app where again you see adding final touches for another 10-15 seconds!
Also, you cannot use the option of choose best lighting in the photos app!

dave_456

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I think this only happens when smart capture is on. It is taking two pictures and then merging them, which obviously is a lot more intensive for the phone to do, so if you take lots it a row, quickly, it overwhelms the phone and it needs some time to catch up. Obviously a faster phone with more memory is less affected.

maxmin

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how to turn Smart Capture off in Windows Camera?? I have been all through the settings and screen menus. The delays in saving and difficulty sharing single photo is very annoying!

I tried to download Lumia Camera. It downloaded and installed but it won't let the app start. It says to use Windows Camera. Aggravating!

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
The latest version of Windows 10 broke both camera apps for me. The windows camera gets stuck on the Saving.... screen. The Lumia camera doesn't shoot video. I've had to resort to a third party app for the time being.

anadi1984

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think this only happens when smart capture is on. It is taking two pictures and then merging them, which obviously is a lot more intensive for the phone to do, so if you take lots it a row, quickly, it overwhelms the phone and it needs some time to catch up. Obviously a faster phone with more memory is less affected.

Is smart capture different from rich capture?
If its same thing, then I have tried taking pictures after switching off rich capture with same results!
If it's different, then please let us know how to switch off smart capture!

marpamcy

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone know how to turn Smart Capture off in Windows Camera?? I have been all through the settings and screen menus. The delays in saving and difficulty sharing single photo is very annoying!

I tried to download Lumia Camera. It downloaded and installed but it won't let the app start. It says to use Windows Camera. Aggravating!

Hit the magic wand icon, it disables the HDR and no delays any more.

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Have turned off the rich/smart capture. But still, the saving thing crops up after clicking 6-7 pics! It's really frustrating!
This is frustrating as the Microsoft Camera app was working perfectly for me up until this build. I'd be happy with either the Microsoft or the Lumia Camera if either one would actually fully function.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that bothers me is the image quality, which seems noticeably lower on the Windows Camera. All of my pictures are noisy!

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
The main reason why I refuse to use Windows Camera after trying to give it a try for so long is that compared to Lumia Camera, which gives me the quality that I expect from my Icon, the pictures are just horrendous in quality. They're far too noisy. Low light photos and videos are a joke. Considering not the amount of noise, I wonder why anyone would ever want to zoom. Sure it may be faster, but Lumia Camera has so many built in imaging optimizations and algorithms that it's obvious that Windows Camera doesn't have, it makes no sense to switch right now other than the fact that Microsoft will only support Windows Camera moving forward.

It really makes me wonder how much we'll get out of the 950 (XL) and if it could even be better if they supported Lumia Camera still instead of Windows Camera.

I don't blame them for trying to make a great camera app for the entire platform, but when you don't tailor certain software to specific hardware, it seems as though it would be average to good at best for everyone, but not great for anyone. I would venture to guess this may be one reason they're not continuing with the 41 mp cameras in the future as they're too much of a special case scenario at this point to warrant the extra effort.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss