Should I hard reset my Lumia 640 when the official RTM W10 update arrives?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No one knows the answer to that.

Rumor says that after an upgrade, you may get better performance if you then hard reset. But I haven't seen evidence that is the case with final builds (test ones have all kinds of issues...)

I went through about 5 developer releases of WP8-WP8.1 on my 920 and it still had great performance.

Note that an upgrade is basically clean install and migrate data. So it should end pretty clean.

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
No one knows the answer to that.

Rumor says that after an upgrade, you may get better performance if you then hard reset. But I haven't seen evidence that is the case with final builds (test ones have all kinds of issues...)

I went through about 5 developer releases of WP8-WP8.1 on my 920 and it still had great performance.

Note that an upgrade is basically clean install and migrate data. So it should end pretty clean.
Thanks for the response.

I was curious because when I updated to 8.1 official, it was horrible. I needed a hard reset to fix it all. That was then.

With my 640 (3 months now) I really hope that it won't be like that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Most of the preview builds definitely benefit from a hard reset. I've seen this at least twice.

For the final release of W10M, if you're upgrading from W8.1, a hard reset should not be necessary, at least that's the theory. Whether that's how it plays out in practice we simply can not know until the final release is actually available to us.

If you're upgrading to the final release from an insider preview build, then I'd still recommend a hard reset however, just to be sure you're not bringing along anything funky from a buggy or broken insider preview build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster