Why isn't my Windows 10 communicating with my printer?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

why my windows 10 do not communicate with my printer?

Tried to print message but my pc does not communicate with the printer
Printer is an Lexmark X1240

stevesu

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
From my experience, the two worst things in computing, are printers and file sharing. Wish this would change... Anyway...
Is your printer connected? Did you spend some time installing it? Is it USB or wireless? If wireless, plug it in via USB and see if auto-installs a printer driver for you. (If you don't know, drivers are what connects the devices...allowing them to communicate with each other) If it doesn't auto-install a driver, then consult your manual to get the drivers installed.
If your driver is installed, is your printer set to default? Verify this by right-click on Windows button and clicking control panel; Hardware and Sound; View devices and Printers... you can right-click on the device and set it to default.
When using your app... the you tried to print from... it may also give you a list of stuff you can print to... make sure you have the device set properly.

Geri Jones1

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I have a wireless Brother MFC490 and Brother announced some time ago drivers for this model as well as many of their models would not be available until mid December. I'm sure other manufactures may have this same problem. Check online for info about your printer.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
In addition.... If the printer is wireless (or a network printer) you may need to make it use a static IP address / set the router to only give it one IP address.... And you may have to temporarily disable the windows firewall to make your first connection to the printer (once connected, restart the firewall).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium