Why isn't my Xbox app live tile updating my Avatar picture?

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Xbox app live tile not updating avatar picture

A while back I updated my Xbox avatar and took a new picture for it. The updated avatar and picture shows up on my Xbox One, Xbox 360, Games app on my 830 with 8.1, in the Xbox app and live tile on Windows 10 mobile, and in the Xbox app on Windows 10. However, the live tile for the Xbox app on Windows 10 still shows the old avatar picture. I've not found any setting to force an update, and I've tried unpinning and repining the app, but it is still the old picture. Anyone have any ideas?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Xbox app live tile not updating avatar picture

A while back I updated my Xbox avatar and took a new picture for it. The updated avatar and picture shows up on my Xbox One, Xbox 360, Games app on my 830 with 8.1, in the Xbox app and live tile on Windows 10 mobile, and in the Xbox app on Windows 10. However, the live tile for the Xbox app on Windows 10 still shows the old avatar picture. I've not found any setting to force an update, and I've tried unpinning and repining the app, but it is still the old picture. Anyone have any ideas?

It usually changes for me when I go and enter in the app.
what if you log out and log in?

what about doing something more extreme and uninstalling and downloading the app from store? you only need powershell to uninstall your xbox live app. then you can download it from store.

also you can try deleting the "cache" images. of live tiles by going to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Notifications\wpnidm
Then you will find it there, once you delete it, it should not show anymore on live tile, but I don't know if it will be created again immediately or later or never. so I would try the other options first.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

I investigated this last method of the Cache live tile images.
so I found out that if you delete the image of my current avatar 65a1f7bf.jpg
if I change from avatar, it will update and create a new image, but if I go back to my old avatar, it won't display anything on Live tile, why? because it's tied to registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PushNotifications\wpnidm\

so you find the avatar
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Notifications\wpnidm

delete it, and you have to go to registry and delete the key with the same name. so it will be created again, if you ever choose it again.

so it works.

only you need to take into account about the registry.

I think the best way to see if live tile updates though, it's by changing avatar open xbox app, and then change it back and open xbox app again.
since live tile doesn't change (is created) until you open the app.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I investigated this last method of the Cache live tile images.
so I found out that if you delete the image of my current avatar 65a1f7bf.jpg
if I change from avatar, it will update and create a new image, but if I go back to my old avatar, it won't display anything on Live tile, why? because it's tied to registry.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PushNotifications\wpnidm\

so you find the avatar
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Notifications\wpnidm

delete it, and you have to go to registry and delete the key with the same name. so it will be created again, if you ever choose it again.

so it works.

only you need to take into account about the registry.

I think the best way to see if live tile updates though, it's by changing avatar open xbox app, and then change it back and open xbox app again.
since live tile doesn't change (is created) until you open the app.

Thanks so much!

I found the picture and deleted both it and the registry key associated, and it was properly created when I opened the Xbox app. I don't change it that often, so for now I'm good.

Just out of curiosity, how do you uninstall the Xbox app via powershell?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks so much!

I found the picture and deleted both it and the registry key associated, and it was properly created when I opened the Xbox app. I don't change it that often, so for now I'm good.

Just out of curiosity, how do you uninstall the Xbox app via powershell?

you only need to type Get-AppxPackage *xbox* | Remove-AppxPackage

but if you type Get-AppxPackage *xbox*, you should see Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider, Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI and Microsoft.XboxApp.
so by uninstalling by using *xbox* I guess it removes those 3 apps.

so if you want to make sure you are only uninstalling the xbox app, and you are not removing something else, you can get the PackageFullName with Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers (or *xbox* in this case) you should see something like Microsoft.XboxApp_9.9.28033.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe so you can use that like
Remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.XboxApp_9.9.28033.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe if you want to make sure only app gets removed without removing some other component.

little note: you can uninstall most aps that way. the only one that doesn't have fix, it's store though. if you uninstall it, you need probably to reinstall windows or do nasty tricks to bring it back. I don't know why it is not a system app like Edge so it cant be uninstalled easily.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)