Windows 10 needs an adblocker, big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Look up hostmvp. Takes 10 seconds to install. Download, extract zip file, and run .bat as administrator.

10 seconds? I've been trying to figure it out for 10 minutes, and i'm still stumped. My "right click" doesn't have what they say it should have. I can't even figure out how to install the file.:angry:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
when you say "windows 10" you refer to "edge" right? you can just use IE and install adblock, for me this is unusable until I have a working adblocker, just like you :p

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I use a 180days Adguard trial. it works fine, and integrates fine with Edge. I guess when it's over we would have free extensions on Edge. But I use it because I can control what sites I want the adblocker to happen.
but yeah using host it's useful too, no control with it, but it blocks windows store apps ads, if you don't want them.

so yeah Edge needs it, but there are workarounds while Edge gets extension support.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I found this: Download- hosts.zip Right click-select-save target as. When i right click, i dont have a "save target as", only a "save" option. Is that what i need?:confused:

Save the zip file. Open the zip file. Run the mvps.bat file inside the zip file. It will ask to extract to a folder. Extract all those files. Right click mvps.bat file and run as administrator.

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
when you say "windows 10" you refer to "edge" right? you can just use IE and install adblock, for me this is unusable until I have a working adblocker, just like you :p

No. I've partitioned the hard drive on my MacBook Pro. 350gbs. for Mac, and 150gbs for Windows 10. My internet browser is Firefox, as Edge blows, and my homepage is MSN. :winktongue:

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Search edgeadblock or just go to edgeadblock.com, even though it says edge adblock, it blocks ads in all browser and apps utilizing host file. Time required: 10 seconds.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Modifying the Hosts file has been great except one problem with blocking access to my account with one major US bank website; a spinning loading circle forever. I've yet to find the URL(S) being blocked in the MVP hosts list and have been swapping between the original Hosts and MVP when access the account is needed. It is worth the slight aggravation.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Mostly from a company called AdChoices. Maybe i'm crazy, but MSFT should have done a more thorough job on Windows 10 before releasing it to the general public.:winktongue:

Considering an OS is just an OS and shouldn't make decisions on what ads are served up in browsers I don't think you have a leg to stand on in this argument....

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
MS should at least include IE in the all apps list. Some users may not be aware it is still there. Does it even exist in W10 standard home, non-pro version? I had to install it in Pro, or at least set it up from a pre-installed file.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
MS should at least include IE in the all apps list. Some users may not be aware it is still there. Does it even exist in W10 standard home, non-pro version? I had to install it in Pro, or at least set it up from a pre-installed file.

Why? The goal is to get people to use their new product. While it might annoy a few, the majority of people won't notice the difference.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Why? The goal is to get people to use their new product. While it might annoy a few, the majority of people won't notice the difference.

Those that do notice a difference may switch to other browsers. Ad blocking is one thing even most novices apply to browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss