Can I upgrade to Windows 10 using ISO and retain its validity?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I had build 10565 installed on my laptop which was not activated becuase instead of skipping the Product Key section, I had entered my Windows 8.1's product key in the field during installation. But my preview build was not activated. Today I clean installed Windows 8.1 and activated it using my old key.

So, my question is, to get the RTM build activated, should I use the Get Windows 10 app to reserve a copy then upgrade or can I just use its ISO file to upgrade? I don't feel like waiting for the reserved copy. I am thinking of upgrading directly using the ISO image. Will my copy of Windows 10 remain activated if I do that?

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you can use the ISO, just run it on Windows 8.1 and it will do the upgrade there, click next next next and end, it will be upgraded in couple of minutes.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, you can use the ISO, just run it on Windows 8.1 and it will do the upgrade there, click next next next and end, it will be upgraded in couple of minutes.

It's not just about upgrading through ISO, I know it can be done that way, but about activation. I do not wish to revert back to Windows 8.1 if anything goes wrong.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not just about upgrading through ISO, I know it can be done that way, but about activation. I do not wish to revert back to Windows 8.1 if anything goes wrong.

that's what I am saying, why would you be able to upgrade and not activate? The win7 and 8.1 key carries just like WU, and detects if you have a valid windows license to activate windows 10. and just like other upgrades from WU or ISO, you will have 1 month to revert back if you want.
Also as I remember, by using ISO you would be able to choose "what to keep" about personal files and apps, or just personal files or nothing and do like a clean install. but the key always carry like any upgrade.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
that's what I am saying, why would you be able to upgrade and not activate? The win7 and 8.1 key carries just like WU, and detects if you have a valid windows license to activate windows 10. and just like other upgrades from WU or ISO, you will have 1 month to revert back if you want.
Also as I remember, by using ISO you would be able to choose "what to keep" about personal files and apps, or just personal files or nothing and do like a clean install. but the key always carry like any upgrade.

Thanks.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I have upgraded and it's activated. So, now can I format my local disk and install Windows 10 afresh and still don't lose activation?

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
@deepak: Yes. If you sign in with your Microsoft account, you don't need to enter the key and it will activate, if not you will need to get the key before you reinstall.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit