Change default search engine in W10M Edge

Varun Mishra

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Can I change the default search engine to Google in microsoft edge browser for Windows 10 Mobile? I could do it in the PC by going to google.com and choosing advanced options in settings. Unable to find something similar in mobile.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The option is there, but it doesn't work yet.

It does work. I changed it on my phone, and it works for me. If you only type in the search field and press enter, the search will trigger, however if you press some of the suggestions above, it will go to Bing.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It does work indeed.

Step by step:

1. Search for Google (ONLY Google) in the address field and press enter. Bing will show you the results.
2. Press google.com in the results and make sure it loads.
3. Go to settings - advanced and edit the adress field search
4. Press google.com and set it as standard.

There you have it, now you can Google from the address bar. It doesn't work if you press the suggestions, only when you press enter for whatever you search for in the address field.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. Last thing I read on Windows Central was that the option is there, but doesn't do anything. And for me, Bing is the only available choice to pick from. But then again, I'm in the UK, which is barely a country at all in Microsoft terms...

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough. Last thing I read on Windows Central was that the option is there, but doesn't do anything. And for me, Bing is the only available choice to pick from. But then again, I'm in the UK, which is barely a country at all in Microsoft terms...

Did you try the step by step thing I wrote?

I live in Norway and Bing isn't really good here either. It looks good though :p

It's nice to see that it's possible!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, now I see. When I go to Google.com, I get redirected to Google.co.uk, which isn't a valid search engine according to Windows Mobile. But if I try Yahoo.com instead, it works as you describe.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, now I see. When I go to Google.com, I get redirected to Google.co.uk, which isn't a valid search engine according to Windows Mobile. But if I try Yahoo.com instead, it works as you describe.

Weird, it works with google.no. Should work with co.uk too. Try step two again and choose another google.com result. Should work even if it redirects you to co.uk :)

sulistyarso

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20151023_0003.png
on my edge google.com redirect to google.co.id. but when i check to setting->advance->change search engine, i see google there and i try to make it as default. it works. :)

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
If it doesn't recognise .co.uk you can also click the link that says 'use google.com instead'. That should forse .com, and that should get recognised.
Also, google.rs (Serbia) works for me, so IDK why it won't work for you.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
Tried it. No luck. Open Edge, go to google.com (or .co.id or .com/ncr) wait for it to load....open settings in edge, go to advanced settings....no option....what am I doing wrong?

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Tried it. No luck. Open Edge, go to google.com (or .co.id or .com/ncr) wait for it to load....open settings in edge, go to advanced settings....no option....what am I doing wrong?

The thing that worked for me (and that I explained in the step by step thing) was to search for Google first in the adress field. Only Google! Then you will see the Bing results, and then press one of the Google.com results you get and it will open. Now try to go to advanced settings and change it :)

If that doesn't work in mobile mode, switch it to desktop mode and do the whole thing again!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the desktop method works to get the default set to Google and I now see "Google" as my default search.

But when I type a search term into the address bar and tap on one of the search suggestions, it actually performs a Bing desktop search instead of Google.

Very odd.

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
The letter happens because the system already did a search on bing to even show you the search suggestions. So it seems that the defined search engine does not work for the auto suggest feature right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss