The Location on my Windows 10 PC has been grayed, how can I get it working again?

viky1101

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
The Location on my Windows 10 Pc has been greyed.

I had been experiencing issues opening some sites and couldnot find the reason for it. while looking around i got to know that the location settings has been greyed and i cannot toggle it. Anyone would help me Please??Screenshot (14).png

Last edited:

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
clicking the Change button?
that's why it says "location for this device is off" and it's because it's a general setting for the device, the toggle is for the user. if you created an account, you would see the setting grayed out, so if you change it you set the location to be available for the device and every user can set the location or an off individually.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
well, that's how it's done. so it means your problem is not how to fix location settings has been greyed and i cannot toggle it your problem is you want to force it because your change button apparently doesn't work, which is totally different problem.

anyway, maybe next time you should mention "I clicked change button and nothing happened", is it too hard to explain the problem better?

anyway, it doesn't work by registry, only the toggle, there is a geolocation service you can see if it works. maybe go to msconfig and see if it's checked to start at startup.
and also you can go to group policy -> Computer configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Location and Sensors, Windows Location Provider
and see if it's enable or disabled there.

good luck.

junaidsyed333

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
I am experiencing the same problem..location of this device is off and when i click change nothing happens..due to this not able to use cortana also..DID YOU FIND ANY SOLUTION?? PLZ SHARE!!!

LvivFan

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
well, that's how it's done. so it means your problem is not how to fix location settings has been greyed and i cannot toggle it your problem is you want to force it because your change button apparently doesn't work, which is totally different problem.

anyway, maybe next time you should mention "I clicked change button and nothing happened", is it too hard to explain the problem better?

anyway, it doesn't work by registry, only the toggle, there is a geolocation service you can see if it works. maybe go to msconfig and see if it's checked to start at startup.
and also you can go to group policy -> Computer configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Location and Sensors, Windows Location Provider
and see if it's enable or disabled there.

good luck.

You are awesome!! I spent all day yesterday to resolve this problem, but haven't resolved it, and you wrote resolving that takes 5 sekonds and it's works!!!Thank you so much!! I just went to msconfig and saw there in services location startup was off!!!!

Binith Nyaupane

Apr 5, 2017
Visit site
You are awesome!! I spent all day yesterday to resolve this problem, but haven't resolved it, and you wrote resolving that takes 5 sekonds and it's works!!!Thank you so much!! I just went to msconfig and saw there in services location startup was off!!!!

My Location doesn't work with all the instruction.
if you have any other alternative please help me.
Screenshot (18).png
2017-04-05.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99