Does W10M support unrestricted background processing like Andriod does?

saurabh1991

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I have done no such ranting, nor have I begged any developers for anything. I have simply stated a fact that it is up to developers to properly implement what you are looking for. Now that it is available, it will come. Being a retired developer, if I want something bad enough, I'll find the time to do it myself. (Yeah, the really good ones can afford to retire early and enjoy life.)

The platform hasn't even been released yet, so stop expecting things before there is even an official platform for it (speaking of Windows 10 Mobile, of course.)

Good news! Windows 10 Mobile will allow you to state you have unlimited data and therefore will no longer require you to be on Wi-Fi for large downloads! You do have to set that up in settings. No more "plugged in" either. App background download can now handle multiple downloads at once and is no longer the buggy nightmare that was on WP8.1.

I aappreciate that you are developer
Happy to talk to one
Ya i hope that w10m will become peoples os where any body can use It easily to enjoy there life with th family and kids and not engaged in finding a download manager or file locker or file hider app( which works fully) .
Enjoy life and os.

the1

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
*that moment you realize that BB10 did something better than every mobile OS available but you know............apps..smh*

But on another note, @saurabh, I don't think Satyendra is saying that it isn't an issue, but saying that what you are asking about is left up to the developers of the apps. It's not a Microsoft issue to implement because they have made the functionality available, but it is left up to the devs.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
But its not fully implemented
Why we see resume screen then and app crashing
Yes, "background tasks and services" are fully implemented by Windows. What's not complete, is many users' understanding of the concept of "background" as relates to programming for Windows. The term doesn't mean "behind another window" (i.e., in the background of a bunch of open windows), it means "while my task is not running" (i.e., has no windows). [This isn't strictly correct, but it's a lot closer than the former.]

The "background tasks and services" used by an app are special parts of the app that are both separate from the part that users interact with and that are allowed to run when your app itself is not running. It's best if you think of "an app" is being several different program packaged together. One -- and only one -- is for you to use and interact with. The others, if there are any, are there to take advantage of the background services offered by Windows.

"Resuming" is shown during the time between when the OS is ready to switch to an already-in-memory app that's been suspended and the time when the app itself is ready to draw it's screen. Many older apps weren't written to recognize such a reactivation so they instead act as if the app is being started rather than resumed. As such, these older apps do lots of start-up work that isn't necessary, delaying the display of the screen.

This is why users typically see Resuming for longer periods of time with older apps originally written for WP7 -- that platform didn't have support for this kind of task switching and resuming. WP8 apps built from a WP7 base sometimes inherited this unawareness that lots of work could be skipped during a resume; some WP8 apps added a little bit of new code to optimize switching start-up, but the fundamental nature of the app remained.. [As above, this isn't strictly correct or complete, but believing this will get you closer to the truth than where most folks are now.]

Example: I wrote an app for personal use. (It is not in the Store.) I wrote it during the days of Windows Phone 7.0, upgraded it for Mango (7.5), and upgraded again for WP8. I never did a WP8.1 version of it. It has no background tasks. It exhibits the Resuming behavior. I have now rewritten it from the ground up as a Windows 10 Universal app. It still has no background tasks. It does not show Resuming. Because it's built to handle the new way of doing things.

Moral: Microsoft has updated the operating system and now developer need to update the apps to take advantage of the OS.

It's worth noting that this issue is because apps haven't been redeveloped in a while. A lot changed with Windows 8.0 for desktop and 8.1 for phones. Given how difficult it is for firms to justify the cost of writing a WP app in the face of low global market share, few Rewrote the app for the WinPRT API in WP8.1. Windows 10 will hopefully be popular enough to change the market economics so that it's worth writing a new app for phones to gain access to the desktops, laptops, and tablets of the business world.

Ekmeet Singh

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Say this to any body's mom and dad that they have to request or rant to developers fro having simple common sense features.

You use sample mail to send ur rants.
But I give u example
Take WhatsApp its an messaging and sharing app but why the hell u didnt give any file extension type sharing or docx sharing. If any bodys mom need this simple feature they have to rant to u still they don't know how to do it bcz u didn't gave this common sense features compared to other os.

So stop your cussing fussin that its not developers or os issue .
Then why the hell w10m is made to make life hell or easy.

If u use apps like Telegram Messenger then u would know that they have option to send files such as docx and as well as music files like .mp3 so it means that the OS support this but the WhatsApp developer needs to add support for these and they will definitely will if they do a little more research.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it's because of a career in higher education IT, but I just really hate when someone who doesn't know the intricacies of an issue posts on it with a tone that sounds authoritative. Rather than leaving the general user base uneducated about an issue, they leave the user dis-educated or mis-educated.

That said, what I wrote above is a simplification of the actual situation. In Windows 10, there are additional ways that the user-visible parts of apps can request that the OS allow them to continue to work while "behind" another app. There's lots more at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/mt590969

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
But its not fully implemented

Yes, "background tasks and services" are fully implemented by Windows. What's not complete, is many users' understanding of the concept of "background" as relates to programming for Windows.

While manicottiK gave a very thorough and easy-to-understand explanation for anyone willing to actually read it, I must inject something additional here. Why does someone complain about something "not fully implemented" (even though it is) in an OS that is still in preview and hasn't even been released yet as IF everything is supposed to be completely finished?!?

@saurabh1991, if you're testing Windows 10 Mobile, you seriously need to think about getting off the Insider train if you're expecting things to be complete already.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Why does someone complain about something "not fully implemented" (even though it is) in an OS that is still in preview and hasn't even been released yet as IF everything is supposed to be completely finished?!?
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think that he meant "not fully implemented" as "not implemented in the way that it is in Android."

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
640 XL and build 10572. Most of the apps I use can run in the background. I believe the change came on this most recent build because the previous build would close the app if you press the back button. This build leaves the app open and runs in the background whether you use the back button or the Windows home key.

Groove Music, Maps, Store, Facebook, Windows Central apps been tested. Even store updates and map downloads and apps moving from device to SD card runs in the background. But your mileage my vary. Like others voiced out, it is most likely the app themselves and not Windows Mobile. Yelling at the police will not help change laws, but communicating with your local government officials can.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
640 XL and build 10572. Most of the apps I use can run in the background. I believe the change came on this most recent build because the previous build would close the app if you press the back button. This build leaves the app open and runs in the background whether you use the back button or the Windows home key.

Groove Music, Maps, Store, Facebook, Windows Central apps been tested. Even store updates and map downloads and apps moving from device to SD card runs in the background. But your mileage my vary. Like others voiced out, it is most likely the app themselves and not Windows Mobile. Yelling at the police will not help change laws, but communicating with your local government officials can.

I am on build 10512. So I am not test.
But wow I really happy 10572 works background process!!!. next build as soon as possible release. So i test the feature. Thanks....
but are you test uc browser and edge browser download continues works in background even long time stay on start screen/using another apps?

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
On Lumia 620 with 10572,uc browser stopped the downloading when press home button,bcoz when u go again u will see connecting.well we should wait for windows 10 mobile version for that,but I can say dropbox works well,even my whole camera roll collection uploaded without have to open dropbox.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
On Lumia 620 with 10572,uc browser stopped the downloading when press home button,bcoz when u go again u will see connecting.well we should wait for windows 10 mobile version for that,but I can say dropbox works well,even my whole camera roll collection uploaded without have to open dropbox.

in which download you choose In uc browser? (regular download / background download)
if you choose regular download after press home botton the download will be stopped or connect problem. So Switch to background download and try.
so download stopped even you choose background download in uc browser?

newnews

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
but why UWP apps like phone/messaging/camera etc. are still showing loading/resuming sometimes, they should already use the new api.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I am on build 10512. So I am not test.
But wow I really happy 10572 works background process!!!. next build as soon as possible release. So i test the feature. Thanks....
but are you test uc browser and edge browser download continues works in background even long time stay on start screen/using another apps?

I do not have the UC Browser only use Edge. Tested with Edge browser to be downloading in the background while using other apps like Facebook, games. Tested with several 130MB download files with and without batter saver on. Phone was not plugged into power source. It's possible your particular phone has a better more aggressive power saving mechanism to stop power hogging apps like download files from the web in the background.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes