Taskbar and other issues

Tom_X

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've been having a good relationship with Windows 10 since its release - maybe not as fast as Win 7, and live tiles never really worked for me, and wifi/ethernet/other connectivity is a pain to manage, but I was doing fine. Up until a few days ago, when everything started working weirdly.
First it was the WiFi: if it was slow before this, now it was unbearably slow. My solution was grabbing said WiFi signal with my phone, then USB tethering it to the PC. No big deal. But then the computer started lagging; and it wasn't just the casual freezing, but apps and menus and panels would freeze as well. I reached the point of having 4 apps/folders open, all frozen, INCLUDING the task manager which I was trying to use to close the other stuff. Not fun.
Then the taskbar started going nuts: I could hardly use the search function since it didn't respond to input/didn't search anything, and most times I tried clicking on the windows logo or volume settings it was a good 30 seconds/minute before it responded, if at all. Settings would sometimes not open as well, and shutting the PC down or other things which required the start menu are very hard to perform.
Then, the ultimate issue: sometimes, while using Chrome or doing something else, the whole background will go green, taskbar and everything. It resets after about a minute or two for the desktop and 3-4 minutes for the taskbar, but I can't do anything other than use whatever window I had open before that happened. I can't even reset the PC unless I hit the cpu's button.
So, the question remains, is this "normal behaviour"? I should note my PC isn't old/can't run windows (even when apps were freezing/green screen, never had a cpu-memory peak of more than 60%), so I'm guessing it's something having to do with the OS. Any help?
Note: I don't have any virus as per McAfee's analysis. The most notoriously laggy app is WMP, which crashes basically every time I try to open it, or lags for a good 2 minutes, while it worked instantly and fine in Win 7.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
It's not normal... of course, if not that would be disastrous for Windows.
It works perfect for me, even if I have messed up anything I can on Windows to test how to fix stuff.

did you upgrade? and leave it there? because like I have said many times on this site, upgrades usually go wrong for how much you can modify registry and system files and install programs that do that and leave stuff behind or just make weird behaviour.
So I guess I would recommend clean install before anything, and then find proper drivers for your hardware. making sure Windows won't update your hardware, and if it does, check that doesn't cause any issues.

you can always run sfc /scannow or maybe reset windows and keep files, or maybe manage yourself to clean install like I do to make sure every file will be in the place I want it. because your computer seems to have million bugs, and I haven't experienced any weird thing when I clean install, but when I upgraded some weird bugs appeared so I have clean installed stuff I thought that would be good when I upgraded.

Tom_X

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I did a clean install from Win 7 in hopes that bugs and the like would not be in my way, but it seems they are unescapable. The sfc command said everything was fine, so I guess I'll do a reinstall while keeping files, it's a real hassle moving all of my data again. Have you any idea of what might have caused this? Would really like to avoid mistakes for my second Win 10 installation.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, it sounds like a driver was going nuts and was causing system instability... If this happens again check you event log for errors and make sure your drivers are up to date.

Tom_X

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Did a clean install and no issues for now, but for future reference's sake (I wouldn't be happy having to make another thread about this): which driver would cause this? I thought every driver updated itself automatically after installing Win 10, so... And how do you check this event log? Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon