Why did I even talk my neighbor into the upgrade?

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Why did I even talk my neighbour into the upgrade!!!

So there he was minding his own freakin business when I had to start harping on about Windows 10 and all the good things to come.... Little did I know that I Win 10 would turn out to be a nightmare for him as errors one after the other just keep on coming and I go back to fix them one after the other. It is more like my nightmare that has started I am guessing. So to get all this fixed I suggested a clean install like many out here have also found useful. Active Win 10 started with the clean install and towards the end we (I) couldn't wait to finish the entire setup as I had things to do other than this. I advised him on the steps to follow and I left. Install went fine and for some reason he said he skipped the network connect part finished the install with a local account and the next day when he went for a restart there was just a pinkish/ purple screen saying just a moment with the thinking dots going around in circles. He asked me about it as usual. I let him know that some users here have found that the background process is going on and things can take time, so he left the PC running for good 2 1/2 days and the screen never changed. It would still show the same screen and the hard disk light next to the power light would still be flashing on the console. I thought I could get it back into the recovery mode by restarting holding the shift key but to our surprise it went to the log on screen!!! the Local account login name was defaultuser0 which he did not create. none of his "passwords" would work for obvious reasons, leaving it blank is not an option as windows needs one. When I try to reset the password it asks for the password reset disk and points to external device which was never created atleast not that I know of.

So there I could see the power button and I thought I could restart to recovery mode but guess what the first problem started again and it wouldn't go into recovery mode.

none of the keys work to get it into bios It jumps straight to win 10 logo so I don't know how else to boot it using USB or disk to attempt a recovery.

What is happening and how do I fix it?

This is the last time I would advice anyone on an upgrade. MS you can provide your own "service" and fix it yourself.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Why did I even talk my neighbour into the upgrade!!!

Never advise anyone to do anything with their computer unless you're prepared to fix it yourself.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

If you suggest someone to make a clean install, YOU should stay with them. if you can't, you shouldn't advice such a thing, and you might just want to "reset" windows 10 and keep files, so while desktop apps would get lost, at least the username and everything would stay the same and would be transferred.

the username you mention it's the one that is created when you don't create one. yeah it sucks.

it's funny how you say "MS you can provide your own "service" and fix it yourself." lol are you going to blame Microsoft when YOU were the one advising that without even knowing how the state of the PC with 7 or 8 is running? you didn't know if he had an antivirus that would cause conflicts, you didn't know if there was already errors prior to upgrade.

stop blaming others for what YOU caused. you couldn't even do it well, fixing a computer? I do it with my eyes covered and one hand tied to my back.

You could have tested even by making a windows 10 in-upgrade, you know, an upgrade of windows 10 over windows 10. it wouldn't have exactly fixed many things, but at least it can bring more stability since it's 10 to 10 and not 7 or 8 to 10.

and I am sorry but Microsoft or anyone told you to tell your neighbor to upgrade. next time maybe you should REALLY help your neighbor, instead of expecting the other person to really know what to do.

You can bring recovery mode by pushing reset button while windows 10 is loading. also you can use windows 10 usb key and go to windows 10 installation and you will see it.
also you could do a truly real good clean install. but I don't know if you will do that, even though it's just get some Linux distro and move all files from C:\ to a C:\temp or another partition. so no file would exactly exist and windows will install like there was no other OS in the machine.

I don't think it's all your fault though, not even your neighbors especially if she or he didn't know much about computers. but you can't blame others either. Upgrades are just not the best thing to do. they cause a lot of problems. so doing a GOOD upgrade, or reseting windows so files would keep in place and log in information would have been better than just telling your neighbor "ok clean install and do this and that" but not being there to know what exactly he or she did. because it sounds like when you don't complete the account setup and windows doesn't know what to do, so it created a username itself.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

If you suggest someone to make a clean install, YOU should stay with them. if you can't, you shouldn't advice such a thing, and you might just want to "reset" windows 10 and keep files, so while desktop apps would get lost, at least the username and everything would stay the same and would be transferred.

the username you mention it's the one that is created when you don't create one. yeah it sucks.

it's funny how you say "MS you can provide your own "service" and fix it yourself." lol are you going to blame Microsoft when YOU were the one advising that without even knowing how the state of the PC with 7 or 8 is running? you didn't know if he had an antivirus that would cause conflicts, you didn't know if there was already errors prior to upgrade.

stop blaming others for what YOU caused. you couldn't even do it well, fixing a computer? I do it with my eyes covered and one hand tied to my back.

You could have tested even by making a windows 10 in-upgrade, you know, an upgrade of windows 10 over windows 10. it wouldn't have exactly fixed many things, but at least it can bring more stability since it's 10 to 10 and not 7 or 8 to 10.

and I am sorry but Microsoft or anyone told you to tell your neighbor to upgrade. next time maybe you should REALLY help your neighbor, instead of expecting the other person to really know what to do.

You can bring recovery mode by pushing reset button while windows 10 is loading. also you can use windows 10 usb key and go to windows 10 installation and you will see it.
also you could do a truly real good clean install. but I don't know if you will do that, even though it's just get some Linux distro and move all files from C:\ to a C:\temp or another partition. so no file would exactly exist and windows will install like there was no other OS in the machine.

I don't think it's all your fault though, not even your neighbors especially if she or he didn't know much about computers. but you can't blame others either. Upgrades are just not the best thing to do. they cause a lot of problems. so doing a GOOD upgrade, or reseting windows so files would keep in place and log in information would have been better than just telling your neighbor "ok clean install and do this and that" but not being there to know what exactly he or she did. because it sounds like when you don't complete the account setup and windows doesn't know what to do, so it created a username itself.

Yes MOM Ok MOM!!! Just because I didn't want to make the post too long doesn't mean that the prelims were not taken care off!
For starters All the user files are backed up that is not a problem. The first in place upgrade was done and all activated, it just the niggling errors that needed taken care of. BTWFYI all the antivirus and other programs all were removed even before the in place upgrade. Just to keep this post short and sweet everything was meticulously looked at and taken care of including drivers needed as I have had issues with my install. Anyway back to this problem, when the clean install was done I was there and I had to leave when the network needed to be setup.
About that I couldn't do it well part excuse you miss know it all. I did not write the OS nor am I the OS in the PC running crazy. I can only try to fix things when the break and if I cant I ask for help. If you cant help that is fine. Do you see that x mark on the top right corner? do me a favour click it and be gone. I cant sift through utter garbage for a solution. I don't have time for that.

Don't you think I tried to get to recovery mode? IT IS NOT WORKING!! after the initial windows logo it is "just a moment" screen and nothing. The username and password box was just a flook and happened only once in all the attempts and regardless of wether the user account was setup or not MS is not helping. You want to know why? If the username that it created because we did not create one what the hell is its default password genius? MS win 10 forums have got no clue!!! google search shows Jack****. So when I say MS can provide its own service and fix itself I mean it. "Windows is a service" .

Just to close this debate and not the actual question.....
This all started when his PC showed him the reserve upgrade ICON and when he reserved it he asked me about windows 10 and I showed him all the laptops that I have he even used one for a day and was happy. I just conveyed all the good things that MS has planned and that was it. I happened to help him because he wanted me to and not cause I offered too. I just happened to share my experience and contagious excitement about windows 10 which is what I am going to stop.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried another keyboard to get into recovery mode (is his a USB keyboard)?

Scott

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried another keyboard to get into recovery mode (is his a USB keyboard)?

Scott
Tried his Keyboard it is fine. Is there a different way to access the recovery mode that I am not aware off? Cant access BIOS for boot option either.
He has a sony Viao all in one ( built into the monitor).

The link above shows to add user account which will likely help but to get the recovery mode I need the PC to go there. Holding the shift button when turning it on doesn't take it there. Or for that matter the F keys to access BIOS to boot from USB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss