What do you think about Android and Chrome OS merging? Is it a threat for MS Windows 10 vision?

Karl Jayson Panase1

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
What do you think about Android and Chrome OS merging? is it a threat for MS windows 10 vision?

just a heads up there's a rumor that Android and Chrome OS will merge and available on 2017..

Nicholas Ek

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you think about Android and Chrome OS merging? is it a threat for MS windows 10 vision?

Why would it be a threat to Windows 10 or Microsoft's vision? We don't know how the merging will translate in terms of apps and capabilities. While Android has the big app selection advantage, Windows 10 has the scaling advantage (have you seen how bad tablet/big-screen apps for Android are?) and also the foothold in the PC market. Unless Google makes huge changes to their reasoning of Chromebooks' raison-d'?tre (and hence their offline capabilities), I don't think their offerings will actually clash with Microsoft's.

Karl Jayson Panase1

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: What do you think about Android and Chrome OS merging? is it a threat for MS windows 10 vision?

Thats what i thought also..and MS is already miles ahead of this..and soon we can now see the product one windows vision through project astoria,islanwood, continuum, etc. and i think the only thing chrome adnroid/chromedriod (or what ever they will call it) market strategy will only focus on its large collection of mobile apps and thats it...still it would not come close to the unlimited app catalog of windows via different appstores(play store(bluestacks),window store..) and large collection and nevern ending legacy programs that boost productivity..:)

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Most people don't need the complexity of Windows or x86 programs. A laptop designed for consumers, running Android, is a huge threat to Microsoft.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

No, Chrome OS was never a threat, so why would just merging with Android be a threat?

Most people don't need the complexity of Windows or x86 programs. A laptop designed for consumers, running Android, is a huge threat to Microsoft.

Windows complex? it's not like android is the best thing either. you don't even get the same experience from phone to phone, because all OEMs do whatever they want with the UI and there are many things you can't easy find on Android either. but then, most people don't care about it, because as long as it does what they want, they are happy.

There was Linux before and it was FREE, and was it a threat? no. Linux having nice software like Maya, 3dCoat, Mari, Mudbox, etc etc. and what does android have? the same mobile apps that don't add anything to Desktop and Laptop experience. This reminds me of people saying how iPad Pro is the best thing and a threat to laptops, yet it's just a Mobile OS with nothing but mobile apps that aren't really optimized for mouse and keyboard.

so you can think whatever you want, but people don't get Android because it's a nice OS, they get it because it comes on many phones around, they don't even know they are running android, but they know it has the apps they see on tv or a website and they want to use. cheap phones that does that, without having to buy an expensive iPhone. you can say that's the same strategy that made Windows marketshare so strong, yes, but it doesn't mean people will ask for "oh does this laptop have android? I want one with android because windows is too complex for me", if that didn't happen with Linux, I dont think it will happen with Android either.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Doubt it. If all you need is web and email, and light entertainment, tablets (from Apple, MS, or running Android) are already there and people have already replaced their laptops with that, or will.

The people that still have laptops at this point obviously DO need x86 apps, such as games or productivity (Office, Photoshop, video editing, etc.), and for those people Windows is still the one to beat. I don't think I've ever actually met anyone using ChromeOS; it seems to be an abject failure. If you can use ChromeOS to met your needs, again you'd probably just get a cheap Android tablet.

I'm not sure how you get that Windows is complex though; Windows is trim enough to run my phone, and it just as easy as Apple is. Android was a hot mess when I last used it.

So I think merging Android and ChromeOS really will have no impact at all, except to make people forget that ChromeOS ever existed, which I suspect why Google is going that route. As someone else pointed out, MS is way ahead of everyone with the Windows everywhere track their own. Plenty of companies have underestimated MS in the past; they're actually at their best when they have fierce competition, and we're seeing that today. Look at their offerings objectively, and MS has a pretty impressive ecosystem to offer.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

It feels like MS and Google are gearing up for the next phase of smartphone evolution, where the smartphone can fully replace a desktop for the majority of users. 1 device is a much easier sell to people than 2 or 3.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

No, Chrome OS was never a threat, so why would just merging with Android be a threat?

There was Linux before and it was FREE, and was it a threat? no. Linux having nice software like Maya, 3dCoat, Mari, Mudbox, etc etc. and what does android have? the same mobile apps that don't add anything to Desktop and Laptop experience. This reminds me of people saying how iPad Pro is the best thing and a threat to laptops, yet it's just a Mobile OS with nothing but mobile apps that aren't really optimized for mouse and keyboard.

Chrome OS is definitely a threat. In fact, Microsoft aired a commercial comparing Chromebooks to PCs. Microsoft also had to cut the prices of Windows licences to compete more effectively with Chromebooks and that made possible cheap laptops like the HP Stream.
I don't have hard data, but from anecdotal observations, it seems to me that Windows 10 hasn't affected the demand for Chromebooks at all.

Chromebooks have a number of advantages: Simplicity, lower hardware requirement, optimized for the web, longer battery life, better integration with Google services and they're more affordable

Oh, Linux is not a good comparison. The desktop variant is not user friendly, has many compatibility problems and of course the "program" gap.

Spectrum90

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Doubt it. If all you need is web and email, and light entertainment, tablets (from Apple, MS, or running Android) are already there and people have already replaced their laptops with that, or will.

I'm not sure how you get that Windows is complex though; Windows is trim enough to run my phone, and it just as easy as Apple is. Android was a hot mess when I last used it.

So I think merging Android and ChromeOS really will have no impact at all, except to make people forget that ChromeOS ever existed, which I suspect why Google is going that route. As someone else pointed out, MS is way ahead of everyone with the Windows everywhere track their own. Plenty of companies have underestimated MS in the past; they're actually at their best when they have fierce competition, and we're seeing that today. Look at their offerings objectively, and MS has a pretty impressive ecosystem to offer.

The problem with tablets is that mouse, keyboard and the desktop metaphor are still the best way to do many tasks.
Google needs a good desktop OS to better serve their users, or even better, a flexible OS that can adapt itself to the hardware in which is running or the peripherals connected.

So, Microsoft has less than two years to develop its ecosystem before the new converged Android OS is ready to compete with Windows 10. It's a race.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Don't really think Android/Chrome OS is a threat to MS or rather Windows for that matter at least in the short run, as for most average users desktop/laptop means windows , while phone is either an iPhone or Samsung.

orlbuckeye

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site

Well currently Chrome apps run on every Windows machine within the Chrome browser. The switch to Android wil stop this until the Android apps are ported to Windows. The question is will Android be fragmented by the OEM's like the tablet and phones are? I believe they the android laptops could affect the 500 dollar and below WIndow market but they 1000 dollars and above laptops are purchased for specific task that use the more powerful hardware to game, video edit or CAD work.

wpbazaar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Sure the potential threat is there, in the same way MS threatens to cross-sell their desktop installed base onto WM. But the lesson learnt from WP is that people prefer to (and sometimes have to) use what their friends are currently using, so reasons to move have to be very compelling.

Possibly one advantage Deskdroid would have over WM10 is that education bulk buys laptop form factor devices and can mandate what a large number of people are going to use, but I'm not aware of any schools that are issuing phones to kids. So sell hard to government and the market share is handed to you. But schools like Chrome OS because it's very light and simple, they might switch to Firefox OS instead of Android.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

The problem with tablets is that mouse, keyboard and the desktop metaphor are still the best way to do many tasks.
Google needs a good desktop OS to better serve their users, or even better, a flexible OS that can adapt itself to the hardware in which is running or the peripherals connected.

So, Microsoft has less than two years to develop its ecosystem before the new converged Android OS is ready to compete with Windows 10. It's a race.

What tasks would those be? For the tasks I described as suited for tablets, they are just fine, and many people don't need more than that. For more involved tasks, yes a normal laptop/desktop is better. But that's the one are MS is already heavily entrenched on. All those devices you mention, Windows already has a lock there.

What compelling reason is there to use ChromeOS? I don't see a single one.

It might be a race, but Google is the one that's way behind on this one. MS' decision to run full Windows on tablets instead of mobile OSes (Android, iOS) was a huge win. The heavier tasks you speak of don't do well on iOS or Android, and you can see that by running Android apps on a tablet. For the most part, they are clucky, blown up versions of the mobile phone app.

Google is the one behind here, and MS isn't just going to sit where its at now for the next two years.

Diego Ceccacci

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

Looks like they trying to copy the idea of do one OS for every device.

Karl Jayson Panase1

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

yeah..one problem will occur after this merging of android and chrome os will be fragmentation of the os cause as we seen in android theres a huge fragmentation of android version that really impacts the performance and security of other devices..
but still, This merging needs a long run and Microsoft is already ahead of this game :)..

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Karl Jayson Panase1

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully we can see the fruit of all the porting tools of Microsoft as soon as possible so that we can (fully) say that android/chrome merge will not be a threat to the whole Windows ecosystem. . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans