Now App Gap Is Starting To Be an Issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I guess it depends on what your needs are. If you need apps like Snap chat etc., then yes, you do have a problem. However, as a counter example, take my case: I need a good and robust messenger app - I use Telegram (for a variety of reasons). I need my fav airlines' app, it is available in the Windows Store. I need apps for four banks - two in the UK and two in India - all the four banks have their apps in the Store. I need a good Reddit client, the Store has a few and one of them works best for me. I need a replacement for Pocket. I have an alternative from the Store which works very well. I need a YouTube app, and of the many in the Store, one of them works fine for me. You get the drift....

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing about 6 months - 1 year on the app gap closing for us. I would pick up a cheap android phone to use for work and keep the 950xl for most of your daily chores.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm guessing about 6 months - 1 year on the app gap closing for us. I would pick up a cheap android phone to use for work and keep the 950xl for most of your daily chores.

What did you think about a year ago?
May I guess; "6 - 12 months"? Or "as soon as W10 is released, the marked will be flooded by universal apps"?

Why would W10M (that not even MS seems to believe will be used in volumes) change anything?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
All the snapchat CEO said was that he didn't even know there are users. I don't know who that translates into hate. Also people on project Astoria can use snapchat with the google play services hack/patch. It was the third party apps like 6snap that got users banned.
Yeah. And I don't know if Snapchat is privately owned but if its not, a CEO would be successfully sued by stockholders for refusing to do something because of personal animus.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Here's a quick rant-ish of sorts:

I have been a Windows fan for a long time. Had a Windows 7 Phone, still use original Surface RT, have a Band, etc, etc.

I have been using a replacement Win HD phone since my 930 cracked and stopped working. I have been a big proponent or defender of the OS. And to this day, I have never had a big issue with the App gap. In fact, I saw Windows 10 as the difference maker - Universal Apps means more Apps!

But now there have been several apps released that I use or need to use for work - Periscope, Instagram (with video), Snapchat plus many many more. I mean I feel the gap is getting worse, not better. While many platforms have supported Windows 10, how long will it take?

Will Windows 10 Mobile launch with all these apps already at least in a beta stage? For the first time since my Windows 7 Phone, I'm actually considering altneratives. I work in MKT, I need Snapchat, I need Periscope, I need a functioning Instagram. Plus other brand apps. "Hey, test my app." or wait, I can't, because almost no brand ever designs anything for Windows 10.

I'm going to even extend the purpose of this particular post and say that even with Windows 10 out now for a while and in many million PCs, the Apps really are not flooding the Microsoft Store.. but this is about Windows 10 Mobile mainly, so I'll keep it at that.

Thoughts?

No guarantees the apps will be there. I think you'd be crazy to buy a 950 for business not knowing if it had the apps you MUST HAVE for said business.

I love Windows mobile and prefer it so much over the others that in your situation I would buy one phone for the job and a 950XL for everything else, assuming using a GSM carrier where I can just move the SIM

photographerdan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Seems like an awful lot of hassle to go through imo. He won't lose anything going to an iphone or android for example, he'll still have access to all of the microsoft apps in addition to the apps that he needs for work.

Revisit microsoft down the road as windows 10 matures or get an android tablet designate it your workhorse today or simply just switch. Visiting the windows store lately i've noticed that there are fewer apps than before - many apps have been pulled for compatibility or sake of microsoft wanting to push it's own services instead(maps etc. . ) it's looking really sparse and i've noticed a lot of knock-off apps that I wouldn't trust either who have replicated familiar icons. . some really shady stuff going on.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
What did you think about a year ago?
May I guess; "6 - 12 months"? Or "as soon as W10 is released, the marked will be flooded by universal apps"?

Why would W10M (that not even MS seems to believe will be used in volumes) change anything?

Ok, I explained this in another post. w7m and 8m were a very small user base where a complete new app had to be designed for the ecosystem. Not a lot of return on investment so to speak. Now, with windows 10, and 10m, there is More users to potentionally buy your app/advertising revenues. Plus, with the new "projects", getting the apps on the system (because you only need to develop one that works on everything), is relatively painless. Therefore, More developers are going to port their apps into the windows 10 environment and get revnues from it easily. There are already over 120 million w10 users, more than the entire user base of osx. That's within 3 months of release. Give it another 6 months and there will be probably 500 million users as new devices, and the upgrades continue throughout the personal and business world.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I explained this in another post. w7m and 8m were a very small user base where a complete new app had to be designed for the ecosystem. Not a lot of return on investment so to speak. Now, with windows 10, and 10m, there is More users to potentionally buy your app/advertising revenues. Plus, with the new "projects", getting the apps on the system (because you only need to develop one that works on everything), is relatively painless. Therefore, More developers are going to port their apps into the windows 10 environment and get revnues from it easily. There are already over 120 million w10 users, more than the entire user base of osx. That's within 3 months of release. Give it another 6 months and there will be probably 500 million users as new devices, and the upgrades continue throughout the personal and business world.

OK, we are both guessing.
I hope you are right and I am wrong!
However, I see a Microsoft that focuses on volume (ios/android) and I let them lead the way.
I might come back in two years (if there is something to come back to and if the situation has improved).

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There are already over 120 million w10 users, more than the entire user base of osx. That's within 3 months of release. Give it another 6 months and there will be probably 500 million users as new devices, and the upgrades continue throughout the personal and business world.

What makes you think the rate of Windows 10 adoption will actually increase? It has slowed exponentially since the first few days of release.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
He won't lose anything going to an iphone or android for example, he'll still have access to all of the microsoft apps in addition to the apps that he needs for work.
What people who say that don't understand is that iPhones or Androids are like driving a car that will get you anywhere but is boxy, floaty and has uncomfortable seats while the Windows Mobile OS is like a gorgeous sportscar with Barcalounger seats (never sat in one but its just an analogy) but can't go to a lot of places. If you HAVE to go to those places or ALL you care about is getting to those places, then yes you won't lose anything by driving the boat of a car or carrying an iPhone/Android. And the majority of people are probably in that category. But there are also people who prefer the finer things, even if they have drawbacks such as fewer apps (phone) or expensive maintenance (sportscar). iPhones or Androids are terrific appliances, but are about as exiting and pleasurable to use as other appliances.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
What people who say that don't understand is that iPhones or Androids are like driving a car that will get you anywhere but is boxy, floaty and has uncomfortable seats while the Windows Mobile OS is like a gorgeous sportscar with Barcalounger seats (never sat in one but its just an analogy) but can't go to a lot of places. If you HAVE to go to those places or ALL you care about is getting to those places, then yes you won't lose anything by driving the boat of a car or carrying an iPhone/Android. And the majority of people are probably in that category. But there are also people who prefer the finer things, even if they have drawbacks such as fewer apps (phone) or expensive maintenance (sportscar). iPhones or Androids are terrific appliances, but are about as exiting and pleasurable to use as other appliances.

That may be true, regards the drive (ie. UI) but you wont have a music player, air con, sun roof or any friends to plan and visit, no way of knowing if the place you thought you were meant to be going to still exists, never quite sure the route is the fastest or if your car will be defunct by the time you arrive. :)

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Crap analogy..not denying there is a gap but nearly all mainstream apps are covered. Sure, you will be able to list a few but so what? That simply doesn't change the fact that most major apps are covered. I use pretty much the same apps across all 3 platforms...go figure. So for me there is no gap. Fully realise mileage will vary cos we all have different needs. The situation isn't going to change anyday soon so wouldn't it be nice if people stopped banging on about it like its something new they've just noticed because some sparkly new app they've discovered is in the windows store.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
What makes you think the rate of Windows 10 adoption will actually increase? It has slowed exponentially since the first few days of release.

In Europe it iS surpassing windows 7. A lot of US people are either scared because of all the data gathering paranoia they are fed,. Then there's the heavy that not everyone is updating easily. I had to do a few manually for people. There's also a lot of malware out there that stop the update process. And of course those calling OEMs for help are being told to stay on windows. Then there's the missing media server portion that effects quite a lot of people. Others are waiting for this November release as they don't want the the first version which is usually more buggy . My guess is that more will update in November and when Redstone comes out.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In Europe it iS surpassing windows 7. A lot of US people are either scared because of all the data gathering paranoia they are fed,. Then there's the heavy that not everyone is updating easily. I had to do a few manually for people. There's also a lot of malware out there that stop the update process. And of course those calling OEMs for help are being told to stay on windows. Then there's the missing media server portion that effects quite a lot of people. Others are waiting for this November release as they don't want the the first version which is usually more buggy . My guess is that more will update in November and when Redstone comes out.

Yes you are correct. But I doubt whether that will cause the install rate to double for the next 6 months.

14 million were installed in the first 24 hours of release. After a week, the number had reportedly doubled to about 27 million. A week and a half after that, it had nearly doubled again to 53 million. After another week and a half, about a month after the initial release, the number was up to 75 million. Two months after that, and three months after release, an additional 45 million were installed for a total of 120 million.

See the rate dropping? I can see where it might pick up some based on what you said, but that much? That seems overly optimistic!

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

The desktop user base (market potential in numbers) is huge, agreed.

The desire of that base to have the same applications on their sit-down desktop machine AND their phone is.... crickets.

Yes, the browser (Chrome is the winner here) is desired, but what other applications are actually desired ?

If there was a market for cross device applications, developers would be cashing in, instead of ignoring it. THere is NO MARKET for cross device applications.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The desktop user base (market potential in numbers) is huge, agreed.

The desire of that base to have the same applications on their sit-down desktop machine AND their phone is.... crickets.

Yes, the browser (Chrome is the winner here) is desired, but what other applications are actually desired ?

If there was a market for cross device applications, developers would be cashing in, instead of ignoring it. THere is NO MARKET for cross device applications.

I think it will depend on the application. I don't know about you, but I would personally love to use my Kindle (really ebook/audiobook readers in general) on more than one device and then continue reading elsewhere.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I think it will depend on the application. I don't know about you, but I would personally love to use my Kindle (really ebook/audiobook readers in general) on more than one device and then continue reading elsewhere.

Is "universal apps" really needed for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05