Is Windows 10 Mobile ready as a daily driver yet?

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Since the RTM build of Windows 10 mobile is coming out in a couple weeks, I'm wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade to the Insider build now on my Lumia Icon. I used to have a 928 and I did upgrade it to Windows 10 when it was first available, however those early builds destroyed my phone all around and I had to get it replaced. Since then, I've been wary of upgrading to the insider builds. A few days ago I upgraded to my Lumia Icon at Verizon since I gave up waiting for the 950. Is it safe to upgrade to the current insider build at this point now?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That really depends on what a "daily driver" is for you, so in the end you may or may not take our word on this. Is it safe? For phones that don't rely on external storage - probably yes. For phones that need external storage - most probably not yet.

In my opinion, build 10581 (most recent so far) is capable of being installed on one's daily device - it appears to be safe and pretty stable, considering that I'm using a relatively old Lumia 1020. I've never installed any preview builds before this one, so I did a straight upgrade from WP8.1. The basic functions, such as being able to send and receive SMS and calls, connect to WiFi and cellular data, launch apps (mostly weather and chat apps) and take photos and videos (of course!) all work as expected, with occasional hiccups but they're not major - these qualify this build to be sufficient for my daily driver.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
After working with 10581 on several test devices and for a week as my daily driver on a 920, I have just made that decision and upgraded my primary Lumia 1020 to 10581. All good so far!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12