Can I install Cortana on my Lumia 640XL?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

can i install Cortana on my Lumia 640XL?

Each time i click the search button it takes me to bing search page which signifies Cortana is not turned on. How can I turn Cortana on or install if she is not present?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: can i install Cortana on my Lumia 640XL?

Technically, we don't or can't "install" Cortana. Availability depends on the region and language settings of your device.

The safest way to have Cortana available is to set your region to United States, with your phone language and speech settings in English (US).

Once all set, Cortana should appear in your app list (after restarting your phone).

If it doesn't appear yet, then head over to Settings > Swipe to Applications > Cortana, then tap on "Turn on".

You may create a Windows Central account to respond to this thread.

manus31

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site

The problem with changing your region is that national calls no longer work, at least that's my outcome in Ireland,would love cortana though

Wonder if there's any workaround for this

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

The problem with changing your region is that national calls no longer work, at least that's my outcome in Ireland,would love cortana though

That's strange. I've always saved my contact numbers with my country code, e.g. if the number is 0917-xxxxxxx, I save it as +63917-xxxxxxx. Local/national calls have always worked for me, and the majority of the other users who have changed their phone regional settings just to be able to use Cortana seem to not have that issue as well.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

In Ireland you would be better off using English (UK) settings instead, that would eliminate the need for international assist to be switched on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkilDS