Will all legacy windows phones recieve custom firmware?

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm wondering if phones as old as the Lumia 920 will recieve new firmware for WM10... I have always had issues with the 920 overheating and thus the touchscreen unit becoming unresponsive. This got to the point where I had to "unlock" the phone on a daily basis with a cool pack. On top of this the battery life never got over 6 hours approximately. I even had this problem on 8.1 but not that frequently. My guess is that this is down to firmware not being optimized for WM10 yet. System resources are maxed out for simple tasks and the phone overheats.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has always said that W10M would be available for all their phones. Thing is, this could be either by official firmware or by the Insiders Preview.

So my thoughts are that L920 is more likely a Insiders Preview support rather than an official support. I could be wrong though.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think they're done with custom firmwares.

But actually, I think that phone is just suffering from age or something, those aren't normal things even if unoptimized.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think they're done with custom firmwares.

But actually, I think that phone is just suffering from age or something, those aren't normal things even if unoptimized.

My L920 did the same thing. Same thing happened to many others.

That was pre and post 8.1 as well. Which is within the normal lifespan of the phone.

I always thought that idea of custom ROMs was silly.

What I think they're asking is if there will be an official release for the L920.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You guys have checked all the obvious things that cause overheating and battery drain? Too many apps allowed in background, etc.?

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
I have spent a lot of time with this issue because I just always loved my 920. It's a true legend! I had to retire it though just because of this problem. Not only do I think the problem is caused by unoptimized firmware. I think I even know what exact driver was causing this. My bet would be on the mobile data/ phone function. Because I have retired it now for a 930 I obviously swapped out the sim. From then on I never ever encountered that problem again. Sure, I don't use it as often anymore, it's mostly just sitting there idleing but wouldn't just this cofirm my theory?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
well considering my 920 never had those issues when I had it a few months ago on 8.1, 10 just had poor performance and app reliability. (as it was a while ago)

Things fail, etc. I don't think firmware would've compensated...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You guys have checked all the obvious things that cause overheating and battery drain? Too many apps allowed in background, etc.?

I'm pretty well versed with what could go wrong. Just surfing the internet turned my L920 into a convection stove...

Don't get me started on battery life or anything to do with GPS. I flashed my phone more times than I care to mention.

I haven't tried the latest W10M build to see if things have improved. I'm waiting for the RTM to give that a try.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I can't speak to battery life but the newest build is much better than previous builds. I used it on a 920 for a week before finally loading it on my daily 1020. I've never been happy with that phone's battery so I can't be sure if it's any better or worse.

Hutzi

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
The latest (Build 10581) has improved a lot! Performance is good. Almost on par with 8.1 if not already. Performance was never the issue for me. I knew the early builds of 10 would be slow. A fresh install without backup on my 520 was WAY snappier than a restored 920 (both were always hard resetted after the upgrade from 8. to 10 though). It was never performance in my opinion. The issue was always optimization! The 925 has (almost)identical hardware (my sister has it), never had any of these issues. What would be interesting if it would still be possible would be to flash it back to 8.0, the OS it was released with. Only then could you get an definitive answer.

bpsmicro

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My 920 pretty much melted down on Win 8.1. The working theory is the Otterbox I had it in contributed to that. It "burned" the screen so that whites some out as a mottled white. Battery life is "okay", but I'm careful with usage. It was "retired" into my test box and I've been using it for W10M fast ring since very early builds. I have not experienced overheating with W10M or obviously poor battery life (no worse than it was, and I tossed the Otterbox).
For fun, I ordered a new screen/digitizer combo off eBay for $20 that I'll swap into my 920, but since it's "retired" that's mostly to keep it as a spare.

I expect & plan to load W10M RTM on the 920 (and all my other phones), but I don't expect any device-specific "firmware" upgrades, nor do I think any are required.

Brad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99