Why W10 November update is not showing up?

Gasd Tasd

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
W10 Pro 10240 x64 all updates installed, but 1511 doesn't show up. Two Home machines have succesfully upgraded already in the family.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Each computer will get its own schedule. Computers in the same house could be days apart on getting the update, just like the original Windows 10 roll-out. This is a major update that will tax the servers, so Microsoft has staged it to gradually roll out over several days.

DannyGT

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not so sure that's the case. Do you have a link verifying that? I have a monster desktop that updated and I was performing the update on my SP3 at the same time. Well the SP3 said the update "failed" and now after I go back in it says its "up-to-date"... Why would it show, fail, then refuse to find the update to install again? A buddy of mine is seeing the same behavior on his SP3.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
same on my laptop '... said the update "failed" and now after I go back in it says its "up-to-date"... '

dunno what's going on.

TruCrosswings

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
One of the computers in my house updated, but I have two more that have not. Not sure why they aren't able to pull the update from the other computer like my update setting says it should.

Dr_Chronosphere

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
It says here that if you uninstalled the November Update from your computer, which is probably what it did when it failed, then you won't be able to access the update from windows update. Go to the Microsoft software download website and press upgrade now. Before you do this, however, check to make sure that you don't have the latest version by pressing WIN+R, then type in 'winver' without quotes. If the build number listed is "1511" then you are already upgraded. Hope this helps.

Joao Silva2

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
It says here that if you uninstalled the November Update from your computer, which is probably what it did when it failed, then you won't be able to access the update from windows update. Go to the Microsoft software download website and press upgrade now. Before you do this, however, check to make sure that you don't have the latest version by pressing WIN+R, then type in 'winver' without quotes. If the build number listed is "1511" then you are already upgraded. Hope this helps.

So we have to download que .iso file and update manually? Sorry if I didn't understand your post sir.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Each computer will get its own schedule. Computers in the same house could be days apart on getting the update, just like the original Windows 10 roll-out. This is a major update that will tax the servers, so Microsoft has staged it to gradually roll out over several days.

No offense, but do you have a citation for the above statement? This is the first I've heard of this.

Talldog

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't seeing the update, so I downloaded the new media creation tool and did an in-place upgrade with that. Worked like a charm.

Dr_Chronosphere

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I wasn't able to post any links because I don't have over 10 posted comments. I was going to point to the Microsoft windows ten update page. From what I read on the November update page, if you cancel the update it will not show up in windows update. Downloading and installing the iso would probably work, but it is probably best to wait until the problem is fixed.

DannyGT

May 29, 2014
Visit site
What about for those of us without system restore turned on...Hopefully the media creation tool isn't the only solution. They're should be another way to force the update through.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
No offense, but do you have a citation for the above statement? This is the first I've heard of this.

It's the same method of staggered roll-out for the original W10 deployment. This time, they are trying to update everyone who upgraded in the first 10 weeks, but within a few days.

If you scroll through the full twitter feed at https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/664809352516075521 you will see where Gabe states "We will be rolling it out in stages. You can wait for it to install automatically or get the ISO here", and in another place, "Geo, edition, and languages are all variables so cannot state a precise time. WU is really the background option." Also, he states, "We're focused on the broad delivery of 10586 to customers right now, it will be a few more days before a mobile build" and also "same teams and infrastructure involved in both and need to focus for a few days. Thanks for patience."

Put it all together. It fits. If you look back to when 10240 first rolled out, he states that the updates can go to one computer in a house one day, and the next computer on a different day. It matters not that they are in the same house, but how they end up in the Microsoft queue for it. It makes sense that they haven't changed how the servers work.

I hope I have explained myself a bit more adequately this time around. Sorry I didn't post a link for citation before. It's been a rather busy day, and I may have taken a shortcut. Sorry.

Jim_MAY

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Have 2 laptops here, did one with the Media Creation Tool and the other with Windows Update. Both updated exactly the same.

If you can't get the update automatically use Media Creation Tool. Start tool then select, "Update this PC".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss